Digital thermal sensor on previous mac
    Hi, thank you for adding me to this forum.
    Our previous mac had fan and heating problems so this Owc in-line digital thermal sensor was fitted/installed by a mac technician which helped. (He is no longer available to contact)

We replaced our old mac earlier this year but the start up time is still really slow with our new one (i-mac Retina 4K 21 & half inch 2019) and we are concerned that the software for this previous fix was copied across to the new mac and is perhaps interfering with it...don't even know if that could be a thing!

Any advice on checking if this could be a problem - or alternative solutions/things to look for to speed up startup time.

Many thanks and apologies if this is the wrong board.

Your Mac's Specs
    Various Mac's
    The only OWC in-line thermal sensor I've ever seen is a hardware device that is added in line with the iMac's hard drive / SSD power connector when a non Apple drive is fitted. It adds the thermal sensor that the non Apple drive doesn't have to stop the fan/s running noisily at full speed. It is a hardware device and no software is required for it, so its installation in your previous iMac wouldn't be the cause of your slow boot. If your previous iMac had it's hard drive replaced by a non Apple drive its fans would have been very noisy, so that would likely have been why a technician fitted the thermal sensor.

Older 21.5" iMac's do suffer from slow hard drives, some taking over 5 minutes to boot then beach balling, replacing the drive with an SSD makes all the difference. Most are sold with a slow 2.5" 5400 rpm drive fitted. If your iMac is still under warranty I would contact Apple.
    Steve
    UK

Thank you for your response, it was a genuine mac part fitted and I think the device was mac approved. However it is good to know that there would have been no software associated with it that would have copied over to the new computer. We will try ringing support as it is still under warrenty.
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by techiesteve View Post
    The only OWC in-line thermal sensor I've ever seen is a hardware device that is added in line with the iMac's hard drive / SSD power connector when a non Apple drive is fitted. It adds the thermal sensor that the non Apple drive doesn't have to stop the fan/s running noisily at full speed. It is a hardware device and no software is required for it, so its installation in your previous iMac wouldn't be the cause of your slow boot. If your previous iMac had it's hard drive replaced by a non Apple drive its fans would have been very noisy, so that would likely have been why a technician fitted the thermal sensor.

Older 21.5" iMac's do suffer from slow hard drives, some taking over 5 minutes to boot then beach balling, replacing the drive with an SSD makes all the difference. Most are sold with a slow 2.5" 5400 rpm drive fitted. If your iMac is still under warranty I would contact Apple.

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    What techiesteve mentioned is right on the mark. Very unlikely that the previous sensor install on your older Mac has anything to do with the current slowness issue.

Regarding the current slowness issue. Since the iMac is still under warranty...you could definitely pursue that route to investigate things. If you decide to pursue things further on your own...we would need more info so we can better understand the situation (how you got to where you are at this point).

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thanks Nick...will see what warranty people say...assuming we can get through to them!

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by OpalGill View Post
    Thanks Nick...will see what warranty people say...assuming we can get through to them!
    Not sure where you're located...but all Apple Stores in the US are closed (where many folks would go for an Apple diagnosis/troubleshooting). If you're located where Apple retail stores are closed...Apple may have you ship your computer to them for examination.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thanks I am in UK...will wait until the end of the pandemic probably..its not as if it isn't working.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Thanks I am in UK...will wait until the end of the pandemic probably..its not as if it isn't working.
    Your choice, obviously.

I would just say that I very recently phoned the Apple people here on their AppleCare line, was through to a human almost instantly and they talked me through a simple solution to my problem. The "problem" actually being me!!

So they were/are still available to speak with and advise.

Good luck whatever you do.

Ian
    Ian

Thanks IWT will try after the Bank Holiday.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB blade drive, OS X.15.5.
    What type of drive is in the new iMac?

If it is the slow as treacle 5400rpm laptop drive, you should have got a model with an SSD.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 11 iOS 13, 1st Gen 12.9" iPad Pro iPadOS 13
    Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    What type of drive is in the new iMac?

If it is the slow as treacle 5400rpm laptop drive, you should have got a model with an SSD.
    Is there a way to find out the drive speed (rpm), without disassembling the Mac?

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    Is there a way to find out the drive speed (rpm), without disassembling the Mac?

Use the "System Information" list for the HDD drive model installed, then use a Google search for its specs and rotation speed.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Various Mac's
    Thanks IWT will try after the Bank Holiday.
    Initially speak to Apple. If they confirm you have a hardware fault they may recommend an AASP Amsys collect, repair and return. They use a courier. As far as I'm aware all AASP's have closed their doors to walk in customers. Amsys have been undertaking on-site repairs (collect, repair and return) for a long time, but will likely charge if they find a no fault found.
    Steve
    UK

Thread Information