Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mac Mail Using Gmail POP Server
    I have used for years a POP email server at Cox Communications reserved for financial, personal and secure emails sent there. The POP status keeps these emails from the prying eyes of hackers.

This email address will soon go away when I switch Internet providers. So I have set up a Gmail POP email server trying to emulate the deletion of all emails as soon as they are downloaded to my Mac Mail client. But the Gmail account does NOT seem to reliably delete emails after they are downloaded.

I have also implemented an automatic forward of all emails sent to the old Cox address to the new Gmail POP account to insure I do not leave any there due to missed changes in accounts and friends that did not heed my warning that the Cox account is going away. Email forwarding seems to be working.

So I have: Created the new Gmail POP account with the choice in Settings of deleting emails after downloading. I have created a Gmail account in the Mac System preferences and in Mail preferences/accounts and selected the new Gmail POP account as the Get Mail default. I am a bit surprised that none of the POP account upload and download server info along with ports, etc. seems to be required in Mac Mail.

The new Internet provider is coming in next week for installation of TV set tops, DVR, Internet connections. I would like to be able to get rid of the old Cox email address but I am not sure that the new Gmail POP email is working properly. I would appreciate any thoughts, comments, suggestions.

Thank you.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Apple Mail automatically puts in the proper options that are required for gmail. You can check those by selecting Mail, Preferences, Accounts, Gmail POP, Server Settings.

If you're receiving your normal mail and the forwarded mail from Cox, then Gmail is working as it should.

By the way, if you wish mail to be deleted after it's downloaded from your Gmail POP account, make sure you select the option to remove the mail from the server. If you don't choose that, Gmail will retain your deleted mail for I believe 30 days before they remove it entirely. The exception to that is for SPAM which they will remove immediately upon your request.

So I have set up a Gmail POP email server trying to emulate the deletion of all emails as soon as they are downloaded to my Mac Mail client. But the Gmail account does NOT seem to reliably delete emails after they are downloaded.
    I am having problems getting my reply to post so I am going to try enclosing it in quotes and hope that will work.
    Nope. didn't work so I'll try sending it in separate parts:

Part 1
    I don't know if Gmail POP email is any different, but I have two POP email accounts set up using Mail.app and neither account removes any emails from either account after downloading, or even moving to a new different mailbox other than In.

- Patrick
    ======

testing cant post my reply

Checked Mail as you say but did not see any options to set Gmail Server Settings. See attachment below of what I see.

I have set Gmail to delete after downloads. I see now that much later the downloads are finally gone. This is not the like the immediate deletion on the old Cox POP account.

Gmail POP Settings 2020-04-09.png

See my reply to previous post.

Regarding POP email accounts, the reason I use them is to insure that sensitive or personal emails sent there getdownloaded and managed on on Mac AND deleted so that hackers can see no emails after I download them.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Not to burst your bubble, judger, but I don't think deleting them that way does what you think it does. Your emails could be, and probably are, stored on Gmail (and Cox) servers somewhere in a backup, plus on every system through which they passed between you and the other end. But if it makes you feel better to delete them, by all means do so. You can accomplish the same thing in IMAP as well, if you move the email from your Inbox to a different mailbox you set up to store on your Mac, then delete the email from the IMAP account. You can even write a rule to do the move and delete on arrival of the email. No need to hang back with POP.
    Jake

Jake, may be naive but I don't expect many hackers to dive into server backups. Are you aware of this type of activity?

Your Mac's Specs
    Hackers will delve into any system they can access. Backups, online, historical, whatever. And your emails are also on the server at the other end, plus their backups, so deleting them from Gmail is a bit like closing the front door with all your windows open. You feel better, but you aren't really any more secure. For security, about all you can do is encrypt your emails, but then you have to have the other end encrypt them as well and to never store the unencrypted messages on any device. Not likely to happen. You'd be better off not using a target as visible as Gmail, IMHO.
    Jake

chscag, in the screenshot I posted above, I find it strange that Mail has the Gmail account described as "IMAP". I have over and over described it at Gmail as PO. Also, the Cox account where I have blanked out some personal data IS described in Mail as POP in the screenshot. And, indeed, the Yahoo account below them IS an IMAP account.

Any explanation???

part 2 (let me attempt to post once again...)

HELP ADMINS

WHY CAN I NOT POST A REPLY HERE???

I have removed the original text I was trying to post and it contains no nauty words.

- Patrick
    ======

EDIT: try again...

The Mail.app option to delete mail from the server when downloaded or moved from the Inbox does not work with a POP email account.

EDIT 2:
    Finally I get the point I was trying to make posted. What a hassle it's been and no obvious reason for it not to get posted!!!

pm-r
    Last edited by pm-r; 04-09-2020 at 12:36 PM.

My Mail.app preference Advanced settings FWIW:

Complete Text that's cut off: "... POP email account even when selected:

Screen Shot 2020-04-09 at 9.42.18 AM.png

- Patrick
    ======

Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    My Mail.app preference Advanced settings FWIW:

Complete Text that's cut off: "... POP email account even when selected:

Screen Shot 2020-04-09 at 9.42.18 AM.png

- Patrick
    ======
    Patrick, I do not understand then why my Cox POP account does delete it fine.

Are you saying that the Mac Mail app does not work correctly???? Can you provide a link from a knowledgeable site that verifies this?

Your Mac's Specs
    judger, it is not the Mail app, but the server that governs when a message is deleted. Checking the box there just authorized the Mail app to tell the server that it is ok to delete the message. When the server gets around to it is up to the server. And this site here is pretty knowledgeable, so...
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Quote Originally Posted by judger View Post
    chscag, in the screenshot I posted above, I find it strange that Mail has the Gmail account described as "IMAP". I have over and over described it at Gmail as PO. Also, the Cox account where I have blanked out some personal data IS described in Mail as POP in the screenshot. And, indeed, the Yahoo account below them IS an IMAP account.

Any explanation???
    You've already received good info from Patrick and Jake, but to add on and answer your question....

When you or anyone sets up a new gmail account, it will automatically be designated as IMAP (Apple iCloud does likewise). I'm not familiar with Yahoo but I imagine they do the same thing. Modern email accounts are IMAP for a good reason. Most folks nowadays have more than one device that can access Mail. For example: I can access my Mail from my iMac, iPad Pro, and 2 iPhones. IMAP allows me to read Mail on one device and it will show up as read on all devices. Same for deleting, sending, Mail.

I have both a gmail IMAP and POP account. The gmail POP account goes back more than 10 years and was before Google offered IMAP.

Thread Information