Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mac Mail Using Gmail POP Server
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    I assume that Cox will delete this account when I terminate their TV/Internet services?
    Not necessarily. When Verizon stopped being my TV and internet provider and the account was switched to Frontier, the original Verizon email account was left in place. You would of course have to check that with Cox but it may be possible to retain your old email account.

This YouTube video may have the answer to setting the proper POP email account configuration like I have at Cox.

YouTube

All of the times I tried to Add and delete/re-Add a new Mac Mail Account, I figured that the displayed Google account icon choice was the right one. WRONG!!!

It seems that choosing the "Add Other Account" is the way to get access to the server names, ports, security, etc. settings.

In my opinion, Google's idea of security sucks! I had to keep wading around in their stuff in several of my Google accounts until I allowed "Less secure apps" in. Believe it or not, a Mac Mail POP account is a less secure app to Google! Is that arrogance or competitive zeal or???? TO me, it's "#*J1/9U&D"!

I could go off on a long rant about all of the stuff Google has put me through for this, smartphones, apps, etc. I won't.

I am still not positive that I have it now. In order to insure not losing emails destined for the old Cox account, I reactivated it and the POP link to Mail until I am positive. I did indeed see a number of times in my testing Mail say that there were n emails being downloaded only to never be able to find where they went!!!!!

Thank you for the support and comments, Guys. I will try to provide a wrap up if and when I convince myself that it is.

PS: As a once quite technical guy that dealt with customers, why does it seem that it is so frequently near impossible to find on the world wide Web, user/support forums, etc. a clear, accurate, detailed explanation for something as important this?

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    PS: As a once quite technical guy that dealt with customers, why does it seem that it is so frequently near impossible to find on the world wide Web, user/support forums, etc. a clear, accurate, detailed explanation for something as important this?
    Glad you got it sorted, or sort of, anyway. As for what you asked in the quote, maybe because POP is being replaced quickly by IMAP? Most of us have multiple devices and IMAP is the better choice for that. POP works OK with one device, not so well with more.
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    Glad you got it sorted, or sort of, anyway. As for what you asked in the quote, maybe because POP is being replaced quickly by IMAP? Most of us have multiple devices and IMAP is the better choice for that. POP works OK with one device, not so well with more.
    I understand why folks want/like IMAP, Jake. My goals for this POP account were/are different. There are certain emails that I just do not want left on the Internet. This distrust is supported by years of experience with Yahoo mail and all of the hacks done to it. I have much less experience with Gmail but that I have had leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. As an old designer and IMHO, their convoluted view of integration of apps and security confuses and turns me off. :-(((

PS: I am still testing the Gmail POP and have a Yahoo alternative. I let everybody know if I see any more "interesting" scenarios.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    If you don't want email on the internet, don't use email. Google will definitely store your email for as long as they want, after they "harvest" it for information for their own uses. Ditto Yahoo. Just try reading any of the user agreements about that. Bear in mind that both Google and Yahoo make more by selling YOUR information to their customers. Using POP is NOT going to protect you from that harvesting, just going to inconvenience YOU in your attempt at security. You have to assume that anything you put through the Internet is going to be read, and harvested, on the way to the destination. You might as well tack it up on the company bulletin board.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 11 iOS 13, 1st Gen 12.9" iPad Pro iPadOS 13
    I use my gmail account for personal emails only. Any website logins or newsletter subscriptions I use either hotmail or iCloud email addresses. Luckily I don’t get what I consider a lot of emails.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

You have to assume that anything you put through the Internet is going to be read, and harvested, on the way to the destination. You might as well tack it up on the company bulletin board.

For those using Apple Mail.app and wanting some protection for some of their e-mail, it's certainly easy enough to do with a bit of set up:

Sign or encrypt emails in Mail on Mac
    Sign or encrypt emails in Mail on Mac - Apple Support
    and/or:
    How to send an encrypted email in the Mail app on Mac | iMore

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    That's a drastic solution Patrick and also means that the receiver of your email is able to decrypt. And most folks know zero about using a certificate in their keychain.

Like Jake stated, if you don't trust email, don't use it. Instead use your mobile phone that's being intercepted and listened to by all the bad guys....

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    That's a drastic solution Patrick and also means that the receiver of your email is able to decrypt. And most folks know zero about using a certificate in their keychain.

Like Jake stated, if you don't trust email, don't use it. Instead use your mobile phone that's being intercepted and listened to by all the bad guys....
    The "don't use email" suggestions are wee bit "drastic" too, Guys. Almost all things run over the Internet these days. Do you suggest that one not do transactions, pay bills, get statements, get messages, send/receive emails, ..... also? After much thought, I at least froze all of our credit ratings to minimize if maybe not eliminate the possible abuses to Internet uses.

All of these discussions aside, it was not my intent to open up a debate on how or if one should use email, POP, etc. I was looking for technical advice. I appreciate all attempts to provide that. :-)))

That's a drastic solution Patrick...

It's not really that drastic a solution Charlie, especially for those who want or need to use email encryption. And one can always set up their own certificate etc. quite easily.

There are also some third-party solutions that may only require an additional click, and I would say that most users would have enough brains that would allow them to use it easily.

Heck even old Eudora had various encryption methods that were easy to use and worked for most users.

I just mentioned that E-mail encryption is available for users that may want to use it and who may not have known that the option was available to them. Their choice...

- Patrick
    ======

Quote Originally Posted by judger View Post
    I understand why folks want/like IMAP, Jake. My goals for this POP account were/are different. There are certain emails that I just do not want left on the Internet. This distrust is supported by years of experience with Yahoo mail and all of the hacks done to it. I have much less experience with Gmail but that I have had leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. As an old designer and IMHO, their convoluted view of integration of apps and security confuses and turns me off. :-(((

PS: I am still testing the Gmail POP and have a Yahoo alternative. I let everybody know if I see any more "interesting" scenarios.
    Been testing the old Cox and new Gmail POP server. My observations: Do not run both as available. Pick one and shut off the other. They just seem to step on each other in weird ways that drive me, at least, nuts.

I also saw some VERY strange behaviors in Mail if I turned off an IMAP Yahoo account we use and then turn it on. Mail tried to do me a favor by downloading a HUGE number of emails in that Yahoo account! I guess I will forget about syncing my Mail and Yahoo Contacts as I used to do.

Now for the punch line. I expected Gmail to perform like Cox but it probably has a much larger clientele. I never found it said but I suspect a HUGE amount of my testing was due to what I suspect about Gmail. It just does NOT do the near instantaneous email actions in Cox like deleting emails sent down to the Mail client. It took me a long time and frustration accepting this view.

If you look at emails sitting in Gmail and you do a download with delete it looks like the email was NOT deleted as on Cox. If you look close though the email goes from highlighted to dull. I now interpret that as Gmail saying that email has been "popped" AND Gmail will get around sometime to actually deleting it from its Inbox.

Another very confusing thing about Gmail is that when you define the account in Mail it gets described as IMAP. It is NOT if you make the Gmail settings for POP in its settings.

I found if I wanted the email managed on my Mac in its various stages in Inbox, Drafts, Trash, Sent make sure that you define that in the Mail Preferences -> Mailbox Behaviors for each folder.

Bottom line is I don't really like Gmail. But the Cox account IS going away and I have to replace it with something. :-(((

I hope my trials helps somebody better understand Mail, Gmail, POP, IMAP.
    Last edited by judger; 04-14-2020 at 04:58 PM.

I didn't read the whole thread, but why try to use GMail if it doesn't do what you want and you also don't like it.

My main email account is with my ISP - they are happy if I don't keep any emails on their servers and if I set up Apple Mail to delete them they are gone immediately.
    At least it looks that way when I log into the email server directly.

I also have some secondary email accounts with mail.com - basically what I call 'throw-away" email addresses.

And if you are really worried about email privacy, you can always use encryption.

Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    I didn't read the whole thread, but why try to use GMail if it doesn't do what you want and you also don't like it.

My main email account is with my ISP - they are happy if I don't keep any emails on their servers and if I set up Apple Mail to delete them they are gone immediately.
    At least it looks that way when I log into the email server directly.

I also have some secondary email accounts with mail.com - basically what I call 'throw-away" email addresses.

And if you are really worried about email privacy, you can always use encryption.
    Maybe your ISP is like Cox, much smaller than Gmail, with less of a chore to keep things cleaned up quickly.

Cox was my ISP for years. The new ISP does NOT provide email. I would be glad to pursue another email provider. I looked at Yahoo but it's hacked reputation leaves me cold. What about hotmail or ???? Any recommendations?

Re Encryption: No financial organization I deal with uses or supports encryption.

Your Mac's Specs
    What about hotmail or ???? Any recommendations?
    I believe in order to use Hotmail you must have a Microsoft account. Signing up for a Microsoft account is free.

And... I don't agree with you about gmail. I've used it for well over 10 years and have never had a problem with it deleting email that I have designated. That's both with my POP and IMAP accounts with gmail. But I understand that using Cox for many years and then having to change could be difficult to get used to. I don't envy you having to change your email address.

Keep in mind that if your Apple ID is based on your email address as many are, you may wind up getting locked out if you have 2FA turned on.

Quote Originally Posted by judger View Post
    Maybe your ISP is like Cox, much smaller than Gmail, with less of a chore to keep things cleaned up quickly.
    Yes, my ISP where I got the email address many years ago is relatively small but they have been expanding their coverage area so I don't think they will go belly up.
    Have you checked with Cox if you can't keep your email with them even if they are not your ISP?
    My ISP allows that for a small fee each month - in fact, my main ISP was Bell Canada for a year and now Virgin Mobility (switched due to pricing), but I kept my original email with my original ISP when I first got on line.
    I have a very short, easy to remember email address with that ISP - can't get anything even close to that with others I have tried so I will probably keep my original email address.

Would another option be to set up your own web page and create an email address that way?
    I have seen people do that where they end up with an email like firstname@lastname.com

BTW - I also ended up with a GMail address way back when one needed an invitation to be able to get a GMail address.
    But I hardly use that - just if I have to send very large attachments which my current ISP can't handle.

Thread Information