Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    judger, it is not the Mail app, but the server that governs when a message is deleted. Checking the box there just authorized the Mail app to tell the server that it is ok to delete the message. When the server gets around to it is up to the server. And this site here is pretty knowledgeable, so...
    Yes, Jake, I am seeing that delay on Gmail deletion. However, the downloaded email is ALSO disappearing on my Mac Mail client!!!!

Thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    You've already received good info from Patrick and Jake, but to add on and answer your question....

When you or anyone sets up a new gmail account, it will automatically be designated as IMAP (Apple iCloud does likewise). I'm not familiar with Yahoo but I imagine they do the same thing. Modern email accounts are IMAP for a good reason. Most folks nowadays have more than one device that can access Mail. For example: I can access my Mail from my iMac, iPad Pro, and 2 iPhones. IMAP allows me to read Mail on one device and it will show up as read on all devices. Same for deleting, sending, Mail.

I have both a gmail IMAP and POP account. The gmail POP account goes back more than 10 years and was before Google offered IMAP.
    Good. Do you have Gmail deleted downloaded POP emails? And, if so, what happens, when on both the Gmail server AND the Mac Mail app? I ask because, I am seeing unfamiliar Mail client deletions that I do NOT understand.

Thank you all for diving in.

PS: And now I am seeing some test emails being archived on my Mac Mail client. ????

Mac Mail Using Gmail POP Server
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Quote Originally Posted by judger View Post
    Yes, Jake, I am seeing that delay on Gmail deletion. However, the downloaded email is ALSO disappearing on my Mac Mail client!!!!

Thoughts.
    Well, in your image in #5 it says IMAP, so if you delete it anywhere it gets deleted everywhere.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Good. Do you have Gmail deleted downloaded POP emails? And, if so, what happens, when on both the Gmail server AND the Mac Mail app? I ask because, I am seeing unfamiliar Mail client deletions that I do NOT understand.
    I manage my gmail POP account manually, not leaving it up to the server automatic settings. After archiving mail that I wish to keep on my Mac (various folders) I access my POP account from the gmail web link and delete the unwanted mail directly from there.

That requires two steps: 1. Delete the mail 2. Access the deleted gmail folder at the server and delete the mail permanently. (The server will retain deleted mail for a length of time. It used to be 30 days but I believe it is now much shorter.)

The IMAP account is much easier: Delete the mail and it's gone forever.

Well, in your image in #5 it says IMAP, so if you delete it anywhere it gets deleted everywhere.
    True, Jake. I have looked everywhere I can think of on my Mac and Mail client to change that. Cannot find it! Suggestions on how that can be done would be VERY much appreciated.

The Gmail account is set up as POP.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    I manage my gmail POP account manually, not leaving it up to the server automatic settings. After archiving mail that I wish to keep on my Mac (various folders) I access my POP account from the gmail web link and delete the unwanted mail directly from there.

That requires two steps: 1. Delete the mail 2. Access the deleted gmail folder at the server and delete the mail permanently. (The server will retain deleted mail for a length of time. It used to be 30 days but I believe it is now much shorter.)

The IMAP account is much easier: Delete the mail and it's gone forever.
    Currently, manual deletion on the Cox POP server is NOT required nor is it desired. Once I have downloaded emails and have the POP server automatically delete them, I wish to manually manage the storing or deletion of the client downloaded copy.

I know that many use Google apps, but I find them strange and have a difficult time finding any community support. Does anybody have suggestions for effective Gmail (and any other Google app) support?

Much appreciated.

Patrick, I do not understand then why my Cox POP account does delete it fine.

Are you saying that the Mac Mail app does not work correctly???? Can you provide a link from a knowledgeable site that verifies this?

I have no idea judger why your Cox POP account e-mails are getting deleted after a download, But I'm sort of wondering if it's acting as a duplicate of your IMAP account IF hat is even possible.

I can only assume that your mac Mail application is working correctly. You would have to do some testing somehow in order to check.

Sorry, I do not have a URL handy but apparently that is just how POP e-mail accounts but I do not know if the problem is only due to the e-mail client application or not.

I do know that my old PPC only Eudora application e-mail client account worked a hell of a lot better and had way more abilities than Mail could ever dream of, but I do not know of any equivalent replacement that even came close. And even spent some money towards a Beta development Replacement Application. Unfortunately, it did not help.

- Patrick
    ======

I used Eudora myself for many years, Patrick. Seems to me that things don't work as well as they used to, right?

I used Eudora myself for many years, Patrick. Seems to me that things don't work as well as they used to, right?

Yes, many such things are certainly different.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    judger, your account is showing as IMAP because it is IMAP. You may have tried to set up a POP account, but I don't think Gmail is set up as IMAP. Mail gets that characterization from the email provider. I found this on the Internet. You might follow through to see if you set up POP or IMAP.
    How to Configure Gmail POP Settings
    Jake

judger, your account is showing as IMAP because it is IMAP. You may have tried to set up a POP account, but I don't think Gmail is set up as IMAP. Mail gets that characterization from the email provider. I found this on the Internet. You might follow through to see if you set up POP or IMAP.
    How to Configure Gmail POP Settings
    Did all of the Gmail stuff many times, Jake. Unfortunately, that page talks only about Outlook and mine is Mac Mail. No such POP setting that I can set on the Mail client only on Gmail.

Now for the bad news! In Mac Mail, all of my Inbox, Sent, Trash, Junk, Archive folders are either empty or gone!! I am really freaking out now!

Any suggestions? If I delete Gmail account om Mac System preferences and in Mac Mail can I get back to something like I used to have?

PS: DELETED GMAIL ACCOUNT, REACTIVATED COX ACCOUNT, ALL MAC MAIL FOLDERS CAME BACK.
    Last edited by judger; 04-09-2020 at 05:03 PM.

True, Jake. I have looked everywhere I can think of on my Mac and Mail client to change that. Cannot find it! Suggestions on how that can be done would be VERY much appreciated.

The Gmail account is set up as POP.
    If I may, I am trying to back off a bit and figure out EXACTLY how I might change the Gmail POP settings on MY Mac. First, I am running macOS Mojave Version 10.14.6 on a iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015).

These are the settings that I have in the Mail app Account Information settings for the Cox POP server account that I have used for eons - notice at the bottom the checked "remove copy from server after retrieving a message: AND "immediately" "Remove now" - EXACTLY what I want AND it has worked on Cox for years:

Cox POP Setings Preferences Account 2020-04-10.png

These are the settings that I have in the Mail app Server Settings for the Cox POP server account that I have used for eons - notice the ability to precisely define the Cox Incoming Mail Server (POP) at the top - EXACTLY what I want to define for the Gmail server:

Cox POP Setings Preferences Server 2020-04-10.png

I have searched and searched on the Internet how to set the Gmail email server exactly like the Cox POP server. I am POSITIVE that I have set the Gmail Settings Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab to the POP options that I want - see screenshot below - notice that I have many times selected the check box for "Enable POP for all mail ..." but it never stays checked and I assume that this has been implemented:

Cox Email Server POP Setings 2020-04-10.png

I would greatly appreciate if anyone can tell me how I can on my Mac the exact steps to accomplish exactly what the Cox POP server now provides me for email downloads?

Thank you.
    Last edited by judger; 04-10-2020 at 12:32 PM.

Did all of the Gmail stuff many times, Jake. Unfortunately, that page talks only about Outlook and mine is Mac Mail. No such POP setting that I can set on the Mail client only on Gmail.

Now for the bad news! In Mac Mail, all of my Inbox, Sent, Trash, Junk, Archive folders are either empty or gone!! I am really freaking out now!

Any suggestions? If I delete Gmail account om Mac System preferences and in Mac Mail can I get back to something like I used to have?

PS: DELETED GMAIL ACCOUNT, REACTIVATED COX ACCOUNT, ALL MAC MAIL FOLDERS CAME BACK.
    PPS: Reactivating the old Cox POP account brought back these folders. I assume that I will never be able to delete the Cox account even if it goes away. But won't Mail have a problem when I do "Get Mail" and Mail cannot find the deleted Cox account - I assume that Cox will delete this account when I terminate their TV/Internet services?

But won't Mail have a problem when I do "Get Mail" and Mail cannot find the deleted Cox account - I assume that Cox will delete this account when I terminate their TV/Internet services?

Why not give their tech support folks a call and ask them and they may have some answers to all your questions???

Heck, they may even offer you a really good and better TV/Internet services package deal, and you may not want to drop them.

- Patrick
    ======

Thread Information