Part time MAC guy with a couple of head scratchers

Your Mac's Specs
    Model Name: iMac Model Identifier: iMac17,1 Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Core i7 Processor
    I'm a part-time MAC person. But I have an iMAC (27" I believe) bought about 2 years ago new. In the past 3 or 4 months now I've been up against a couple of annoying problems.

Issue 1. Upon restart or fresh boot up of the system, I can get to the Internet without issue. I'll log into SiriusXM or some other streaming service and listen to music to my hearts content. I leave all my computers running 24x7, so the next day when I go to the MAC, the internet is no longer reachable. My only option so far has been to reboot the computer, which brings me to annoying issue #2. (in a minute) The troubleshooting I've performed already has been to change my "location" in the Network preferences screen. I've got the iMAC on Ethernet and I also have Wifi available as well. Both work upon reboot, both fail after the system's been up and operating for a length of time without being used. I do NOT know when or how long it takes for the Internet to drop, but once it does, it's reboot time.

Issue 2. When I need to restart my iMAC, I go through the normal steps of Apple Icon, select "Restart" or "Shut Down". I ALWAYS have to hold the power button down to ultimately get it to shut down since it just hangs.

In Google searching this, I've tried a number of different things. I am ready to perform a fresh install of the OS at this point to see if that resolves anything. In preparation for that, I'm running "Disk Utility", and that's been running for about 25 minutes now with just a spinning icon that says, "Loading Disks".

FYI... I have two external HDD and a Time Machine attached to this Mac.

You will need to get a lot more info about the Mac.

Click on the Apple icon on top left and choose About this Mac and tell us what it says for the age of the iMac, memory. Then go to Storage and tell us what it says.

Looking at the Dock, first quit (CMD+q) all applications except Finder. Now try to shutdown the iMac and see it shuts down.

If it doesn't, then power it down. Power it up again while holding the SHIFT button to enter Safe mode. Allow the machine to boot up, then just shut it down to see if it will shutdown. If it doesn't you have deeper issues than just some misbehaving application.

All of my machines are largely up all the time, I just put it to sleep and wake it up when I need to and they are all on wireless and depending on the age of the machine, they can reconnect to the access point very quickly. This goes from my 2009 iMac to my 2018 Mac Mini and 2019 Macbook Pro.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 11 iOS 13, 1st Gen 12.9" iPad Pro iPadOS 13
    Try Safe mode, How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    Model Name: iMac Model Identifier: iMac17,1 Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Core i7 Processor
    INFO on my system
    @RazorEdge - Here's the scoop on my system:

macOS Catalina
    Version 10.15.4

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) (didn't realize I've had it that long)
    Processor: 4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
    Memory: 32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
    Graphics AMD Radeon R9 M39X 4GB

Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac17,1
    Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 4 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 8 MB
    Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
    Memory: 32 GB
    Boot ROM Version: 176.0.0.0.0
    SMC Version (system): 2.34f3
    Serial Number (system): D25RK17RGQ17
    Hardware UUID: 70EB7AB6-0E97-51AB-BA1B-499B0E299729

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Having to force the machine off means something is preventing it from powering off, obviously. You might be able to find that culprit by using Activity Monitor and lookin at the Energy tab, in the column labelled "Preventing Sleep." There are three potential values in that column: Blank, No, and Yes. Anything with Yes might be hanging up the shutdown.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    What if the culprit is "Finder"??

Your Mac's Specs
    Highly unlikely. Is that what you found? If so, you can open Terminal and issue the command killall Finder and it will stop, then restart cleanly again. Finder is an essential part of the operating system and must be running all the time.

EDIT: On reflection, Finder might be holding it up, but only if it is in the middle of a critical operation, like copying or moving a file from one drive to another. And as soon as the move is complete, the system will be released to complete the shutdown. You do NOT want to shut down in the middle of a file move as that will make your system very unstable.
    Last edited by MacInWin; 04-08-2020 at 05:41 PM.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    The possibility exists that Finder might be stating that since I'm copying off my USER folder from the system HDD to an external HHD in preparation for the possibility of just wiping the internal drive and reinstalling the OS from recovery. I have another 150 GB of data to copy, and when that's done I'll know if Activity Monitor clears up on the Finder preventing sleep or not. I do appreciate the quick response I'm getting from you folks!! :-)

Your Mac's Specs
    I was typing while you were. Yes, that is a circumstance where Finder will, appropriately, block the shutdown.
    Jake

Thread Information