Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Open Office developer cannot be identified
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 27" 1TB SSD (2019; OS 10.15.2. Catalina), 3 GHz, 8GB; 1TB; Glyph Studio 1TB ext;
    Privileged for such great attention to my issue from such pre-eminent chaps as yous - muchas gracias y'all.

Looking at freeoffice right now. (would I delete open office from finder to lose it ?)

(And PS Why can't I post my screenshots here ?)

Quote Originally Posted by davowolf View Post
    Privileged for such great attention to my issue from such pre-eminent chaps as yous - muchas gracias y'all.

Looking at freeoffice right now. (would I delete open office from finder to lose it ?)
    OpenOffice and FreeOffice have nothing to do with each other. They can both co-exist nicely on your computer. At some point, if FreeOffice becomes your favorite of the two, you may want to click on a typical document and do a Get Info to set FreeOffice as your default so when you double-click on such a document it opens in FreeOffice.

If you decide that you want to delete Apache OpenOffice...it's not as easy as dragging it's icon to the Trash. Here are instructions:

How Can I Uninstall Apache OpenOffice from My Mac
    Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
    Mac OS X Routine Maintenance • http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 27" 1TB SSD (2019; OS 10.15.2. Catalina), 3 GHz, 8GB; 1TB; Glyph Studio 1TB ext;
    Once again thanks Randy; I've just skimmed through the link you sent and can't imagine anyone, even the experienced, not wanting to save time by using this uninstaller.

So a couple of questions;

1. Is OSX Uninstaller = Pro Mac uninstaller and can the link therein be used to get it ?
    2. Mention of a free version; I'm presuming this is just for shop window and requires a purchase ?
    3. How much is it ? (Sorry I haven't clicked that link yet - I suppose that would answer that one.}

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.15.5 beta
    FreeOffice is free. I've had it on my computer for several months and have not noticed any features suddenly becoming locked or otherwise not working. There is a pay p[topm called SoftMaker Office but FreeOffice will do just about everything most folks need to do.

Χ
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

And it seems like he also burns the light of the wee small morning hours to reply to your questions:

Today, 02:55 AM #17
    Randy B. Singer
    And I'm pretty sure that is still California time. Much too late for this old retired pensioner!!!

- Patrick
    ======

Once again thanks Randy; I've just skimmed through the link you sent and can't imagine anyone, even the experienced, not wanting to save time by using this uninstaller.

So a couple of questions;

1. Is OSX Uninstaller = Pro Mac uninstaller and can the link therein be used to get it ?
    2. Mention of a free version; I'm presuming this is just for shop window and requires a purchase ?
    3. How much is it ? (Sorry I haven't clicked that link yet - I suppose that would answer that one.}
    DO NOT pay any money for a commercial uninstaller.

If you want to uninstall Apache OpenOffice use the free uninstaller that comes from Apache. It is referenced on the Web page I cited.

If you feel that you must have a general uninstaller program, here is a good free one:

AppCleaner (free)
    AppCleaner
    Randy B. Singer

Your Mac's Specs
    So Randy, is the answer to Qu 1, a yes ?

And using this s/w, can this effect the uninstall quickly as described in the link you sent above.... 'How Can I Uninstall Apache OpenOffice from My Mac' ?

In my applications folder I don't see an Open Office uninstaller. Is there a link to it ?

So Randy, is the answer to Qu 1, a yes ?

And using this s/w, can this effect the uninstall quickly as described in the link you sent above.... 'How Can I Uninstall Apache OpenOffice from My Mac' ?

In my applications folder I don't see an Open Office uninstaller. Is there a link to it ?
    I'm sorry...please totally disregard the Web site that I gave you a link to. It is a shill site for a commercial uninstaller and I see that that is confusing you. It also has some apparently erroneous information.

If you want to uninstall Apache OpenOffice, simply drag it's icon, in your Applications folder, to the Trash. Nothing more need be done. See:

Documentation/FAQ/Installation/How do I uninstall OpenOffice.org - Apache OpenOffice Wiki
    Randy B. Singer

Your Mac's Specs
    Apologies accepted of course Randy.

We're not having a good day today however. Here's what we get with this new link.

"There is currently no text in this page. You can search for this page title in other pages, or search the related logs, but you do not have permission to create this page."

Sure I'll simply drag our the Open Office app in finder but all that blurb in the original link ("How Can I Uninstall Apache OpenOffice from My Mac") was sure convincing; ie. that there's loads of supplementary and spurious files distributed all over the place that needs smoking out and eliminating. So what happens to all that ?
    Last edited by davowolf; 04-09-2020 at 02:43 PM.

We're not having a good day today however. Here's what we get with this new link.

"There is currently no text in this page. You can search for this page title in other pages, or search the related logs, but you do not have permission to create this page."
    Here is a revised link:
    How do I uninstall OpenOffice.org? - Apache OpenOffice Wiki

Sure I'll simply drag our the Open Office app in finder but all that blurb in the original link ("How Can I Uninstall Apache OpenOffice from My Mac") was sure convincing; ie. that there's loads of supplementary and spurious files distributed all over the place that needs smoking out and eliminating. So what happens to all that ?
    Nothing. It is entirely inconsequential.
    Randy B. Singer

Your Mac's Specs
    Randy thanks....

that there's loads of supplementary and spurious files distributed all over the place that needs smoking out and eliminating. So what happens to all that ?

Nothing. It is entirely inconsequential.

And yet surely at the very least, these files, if they remain, (and I have no idea what they do), occupy memory ?
    Last edited by davowolf; 04-10-2020 at 05:57 AM.

And yet surely at the very least, these files, if they remain, (and I have no idea what they do), occupy memory ?
    They are tiny and take up an inconsequential amount of hard drive space, and they use no RAM or CPU time whatsoever.

Trust me, they aren't worth concerning yourself about. You can spend a lot of time ferreting them all out, only to pick up a few kilobytes of free hard drive space.

There are a very few programs for the Macintosh that require an uninstaller program to uninstall, because they leave what isn't an inconsequential amount of stuff behind. Those programs either come with an uninstaller program from their developer, or they have an available downloadable uninstaller. Apache OpenOffice isn't one of them.

But, if you are the obsessed type, and you want to get every last tiny file, you could always use the general uninstaller program that I told you about previously to remove Apache OpenOffice:

AppCleaner (free)
    AppCleaner

But the Mac is designed not to need an uninstaller program. If it did, Apple would have included one.
    Randy B. Singer

Your Mac's Specs
    Thats clear now Randy; much appreciate the addition to my Mac knowledge.

I might try out the App Cleaner if the lockdown carries on for much longer, I avoid C-19 and run out of other things to do....

But, if you are the obsessed type, and you want to get every last tiny file, you could always use the general uninstaller program that I told you about previously to remove Apache OpenOffice:

Or they could use Find Any File.app or EasyFind.app and have a look for anything using the same name.

But as you say, most of any of the associated stranded files are small, some may only be a few bytes.

On the other hand, some larger things such as clipart or fonts that may get installed may want to be salvaged that some salvage apps like AppCleaner would normally delete.

PS: Read the license agreement of the app to be deleted as to what can be salvaged or not.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Useful Patrick....

Thread Information