MacBook Pro connect to wifi but no internet

Hello,

I am having issues with my 2016 MacBook Pro running Catalina 10.15.3. I have found some forums online with the same issue but none of that resolved my issue.

I am able to connect to my wifi network but have no internet connection. I have tried two different browsers but I just get the “No internet” page. I have also tried to connect to my personal hotspot, but the same problem persists. Yes, I have rebooted, forgotten the network, reset modem etc.. I am connected to the wifi network in question on my iPhone and iPad so I doubt that’s the issue.

My drive is partitioned, and I am able to get internet without a problem when I switch over to windows. I have tried the online guides of resetting network settings by deleting some system preferences, renewing DHCP lease, playing with the DNS (mine says 192.168.0.1 currently).

I am hoping someone could provide a solution.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Welcome to the forum.

First, connecting to your internal WiFi successfully means the MBP is working properly, as far as hardware is concerned. That is good. Even without Internet, you should be able to log into your router. If it's at 192.168.1.1, which most of them do, your DNS would need to be that same number. Or you can try the Google DNS servers at 8.8.8.8 to see if that is the issue.

Not sure what you meant by connecting to your personal hotspot, can you expand on that? Do you have a personal hotspot, or are you referring to your iPhone? If the iPhone, what that should do is let you connect by WiFi to the iPhone, then use Cellular to get to the Internet. That bypasses the local router you have, but then you aren't in the network of your house anymore.

Can you get to the Internet on your iPhone/iPad when they are connected to the network? If so, the settings there are what you need to make sure are on the MBP.
    Jake

Thanks for your reply! I tried logging into my router and trying the Google DNS servers but I still get the “you are not connected to the internet” message. To be sure I am doing that right, all I did was type “http://8.8.8.8”, is this correct?

To expand, yes, I meant my iPhone hotspot. I thought that if this were an issue with my router I would be able to prove it by using cellular to connect to the internet, but it was of no use. I am also able to connect to the internet on my iPhone/iPad on the network, so the settings on my MBP are at fault.

Your Mac's Specs
    Sorry, I thought you knew more about the Network settings from your earlier post. No, you do not use the DNS that way.

Open System Preferences, then Network, in the left column select the interface you want to manage. Make sure that under "Configure IPv4" you have "Using DHCP." The rest of the stuff on that page should show the MBP's IP as it got it from the DHCP server and the router's IP as well. Assuming it's working the numbers should be similar in that if the IP Address is x.x.x.y, the router should be x.x.x.1, where the x's will be whatever the DHCP server uses. Most use 192.168.1.x or 10.0.0.1 as the router address.

So, to set the server, you click on the Advanced box at the bottom of the window, then on the DNS tab. In the left box are the DNS Servers you are using to find the Internet. To add one, you click on the "+" at the bottom of that panel, then enter "8.8.8.8" or whatever you want to use and it should be added to the list. The DNS servers are used in the order that they are listed, so if you want the new one to be on top, click and drag it to the top. IF there are settings you do NOT want, you can click on the one to remove, then on "-" and it will go away. Once done, click on the "OK" and then Apply to set it up. Now reboot to get the setting initialized.

EDIT: Note that the DNS settings are unique to the interface, so you might need to visit each interface you use to check those settings as well. These settings are for the macOS side only, the Windows has it's own setup.
    Jake

Thanks for the clarification. When I enter the DNS settings tab there is one greyed out server listed as “192.168.0.1”. When I click the “+” I get a fillable field with “0.0.0.0” to pop up; however, when I try to type something in that field (like “8.8.8.8”), the fillable field disappears, and “192.186.0.1” reappears.

Very strange behaviour in which I am unable to add any servers. Anybody seen this behaviour before?

Your Mac's Specs
    Is your account an admin account? You have to be an admin to change network settings. If you aren't an admin, log into your admin account and make the changes there. Greyed out seems to indicate you don't have the authority to change it.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 11 iOS 13, 1st Gen 12.9" iPad Pro iPadOS 13
    When you go to System Preferences > Network, there may be a lock icon in the lower left corner, click to unlock it, and enter your password, if your user has admin privileges.
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.
    PS: When there is an accident or error, is the tool to blame or is the fool to blame?

Your Mac's Specs
    Bob, I thought there was a padlock, but when I went there to make sure I had the steps right, there was no padlock. I'm an admin account, so maybe a padlock shows up for non-admin accounts? In any event, if there is a padlock, enter an admin password, as you said.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    2020 13" MBPro, 2010 MacPro, 11”‘ iPad Pro, iPhone Xs Max
    When you go into System Preferences ->Network -> make sure WiFi is at the top of the list on the left side and selected. Status should show Connected.
    Your wireless network name should also show correctly in the drop down box. Make sure Automatically Join is checked.

Now click the Advanced button. In the new window that opens click the TCP/IP tab. Make sure the Configure IPv4 drop down box it says Using DHCP.

Click the Renew DHCP lease button - just to refresh the settings. You should see under Using DHCP: an IPv4 address, a subnet mask, and a Router address. They will be grayed out as the above settings are set automatically by the router handling DHCP settings.

Configure IPv6 should be set to automatic.

Under the DNS tab everything will be grayed out. If you want to add a DNS server you can by clicking the + button and when the 0.0.0.0 pops up you can input 8.8.8.8 if you wish. Or you can put nothing and your router will handle it for you.

Post back any questions and I will try to help you.

Lisa
    Recommend using Onyx to clean your Mac.
    If you have been helped, please add to their reputation by clicking on the icon in the lower left hand corner of the post.

Hi all,

By some miracle this seemed to have helped. I guess the issue did lie with my DNS settings.

Thank you everyone!

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 11 iOS 13, 1st Gen 12.9" iPad Pro iPadOS 13
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    Bob, I thought there was a padlock, but when I went there to make sure I had the steps right, there was no padlock. I'm an admin account, so maybe a padlock shows up for non-admin accounts? In any event, if there is a padlock, enter an admin password, as you said.
    You have to set that up. In System Preferences > Security & Privacy, click Advanced and check “Require an administrator password to access system-wide preferences.”

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.
    PS: When there is an accident or error, is the tool to blame or is the fool to blame?

Thread Information