Time Machine: Looking for documents on a "retired" backup drive
    My dedicated time machine backup drive recently announced that it was full and I replaced it with new. The new drive is operating properly.

I now have the need to look up a few documents on the "retired," full disk. That disk mounts but time machine doesn't recognize that it is there. How do I access information on the retired" disk?

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Welcome to our forums.

When you mounted your old Time Machine backup drive, did you change drives by identifying the old drive as your Time Machine drive? Unless you do that, the Time Machine program will not "see" the old drive and open the old backups correctly.

Most of us in these forums recommend using cloning software in addition to Time Machine. (just as a point of info)

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    A warm welcome to Mac-Forums, schuetz1619. And thank you for your post.

When you reconnect your older Time Machine to the Mac, how are you looking for these lost documents?

There is a specific way you have to do this. Assuming that you have not upgraded your Mac OS since you created the older TM, the usual way of doing this is to open the site which previously held that document on your Mac - I assume "Documents", but wherever, then click on the TM icon on the top menu bar and choose "Enter Time Machine". Then, on the right, go back to a date when you are confident the lost document existed, search for it, find it, then hit Restore.

If you can't recall where that document was stored, you can search for it in the Search Bar of Time Machine as long as you have some idea of its name. Once found, hit Restore.

Please post back. We can guide you further if needed. We are here to assist.

Ian

Do NOT try this through Finder.
    Ian

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Admin chscag's comments are highly relevant and should be seen in conjunction with mine.

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 11 iOS 13, 1st Gen 12.9" iPad Pro iPadOS 13
    When you click on the Time Machine Icon in the top menu bar, hold "option" down and that will give you the option to browse other backup drives.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Using a "retired" Disk in
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    When you click on the Time Machine Icon in the top menu bar, hold "option" down and that will give you the option to browse other backup drives.
    Thanks to all for your input. The promptness was staggering.

I am familiar with the use of Time Machine and have been using it for two years, during which time I filled one eternal HD. By chance, I upgraded from 10.12 to 10.14 at the same time I grades out the first disk.

This (option key) is the silver bullet I was looking for, and all is now well.

How does one find a comprehensive index (if one exists) of such Mac OS10 "tricks"? I would never have found this but for your help.

Thank you again!
    Last edited by schuetz1619; 04-01-2020 at 06:31 PM. Reason: poor proofreading

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    How does one find a comprehensive index (if one exists) of such Mac OS10 "tricks"? I would never have found this but for your help.
    Hang around here. Ask questions. Read what other people find/do to solve problems.

And welcome to the forum!
    Jake

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    Yep, the only source of tips like these are, to my knowledge, right here on this forum. I have learned so much and gained so much pleasure from passing on what I have learned over the years, perhaps you will too.
    Don't be an April Fool: WORLD BACKUP DAY MARCH 31st

Thread Information