Two lessons learned
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Two lessons learned
    Learned two lessons in the last 24 hours. Thought I'd share just in case anybody sees similar things.

1. MBP screen didn't sleep. I have my MBP set to turn the screen off after 3 minutes inactivity, but to leave the CPU awake to keep any of my external drives from shutting down and presenting a warning about improper disconnect on wake. However, this morning I had insomnia and came into my office at 3 am to see the screen lit. Checked my settings and nothing was awry. Because I was already up, I started a chat with Apple support. The tech took a couple of minutes to research and then gave the perfect answer. In Activity Monitor, on the Energy tab there is a column labelled "Preventing Sleep." I clicked on that column header and sorted the responses to see what was there and found one app with "Yes" in that column--Messages. So, I quit Messages and three minutes later the screen went dark. So, if your system isn't sleeping, but you have your settings, check to see if any app is blocking sleep. Curiously, this morning I restarted Messages and it is now NOT blocking sleep, so it seems to be something that can change.

2. Using Safari this morning I wanted to search for something that started with "sc" but as soon as I typed the "c", the address bar filled with the current URL. Nothing I tried would overcome that. I noted that the URL address flashed something before it filled with the current page, but I couldn't catch it. So I made a movie of the screen as it happened and then went through image by image and found that it was "scontent.fric1-1.fna.fbcdn.net." fbcdn.net is a Facebook URL, but there is no server there, or none that I could get to. Since the misbehavior was new, I went to History and deleted the last two days history and the problem went away. What I suspect is that the url string had an embedded carriage return or enter at the end of the line and that as soon as I got the "sc" entered, the autofill function kicked in to finish, including the carriage return, so the url got activated. Don't know why it then entered the current page, unless that is what Facebook wanted to use for some reason (or track without me knowing about it--I'm not paranoid usually, but this was strange). In any event, clearing history made that go away.

So, two lessons learned just in case anyone else sees the same issues.
    Last edited by MacInWin; 03-27-2020 at 06:47 PM.
    Jake

Two lessons learned
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 11 iOS 13, 1st Gen 12.9" iPad Pro iPadOS 13
    I just checked mine. I leave Messages opened, but minimized in the dock, and it shows as "No" in the Preventing Sleep column. Was it the last app you were using/checking before you left the MBP?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Two lessons learned
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Bob, I'm not really looking for a "why," just wanted to share what happened. Right now Messages is showing "no," so whatever caused it last night has gone away. The reason for the post was that if anyone sees their energy settings not being followed, look to see if there is an app blocking it for any reason.
    Jake

Two lessons learned
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    That's a great tip regarding the energy column in Activity Monitor. I have to admit I wasn't even aware of it.

Two lessons learned
    Your Mac's Specs
    2020 13" MBPro, 2010 MacPro, 11”‘ iPad Pro, iPhone Xs Max
    Good information.

Thanks Jake!

Lisa
    Recommend using Onyx to clean your Mac.
    If you have been helped, please add to their reputation by clicking on the icon in the lower left hand corner of the post.

Two lessons learned
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.15.5 beta
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    That's a great tip regarding the energy column in Activity Monitor. I have to admit I wasn't even aware of it.
    Ditto.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Thread Information