Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    1TB External Hard Drive for Time Machine Back up?
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 27 Retina 3.4, 16gb Catalina 10.15.3, iPhone XR, iPad 9.7
    I've been using two 2tb Toshiba 7200 now for over a year and so far they have been great. Using them in separate dock's I purchased from OWC, great folks too.
    Kenny

they aren't getting more reliable. Quite the contrary, new, cheaper SSD's are doing without DRAM (the controller that tells where to find things on the drive) to bring the price down. Which means that they are slower, and that they don't last as long. Have a look at this video:

What Are DRAM-less SSDs?
    YouTube

Thanks for the nice simple explanations.

It sounds like a classic case of you get what you pay for. And another reason for using good, fast HDD disk spinning hard drives, especially for backups.

I tend to favour and use WD 7200 BLACK Enterprise HDD spinning drives. (Internal and for Backup) They are fast, quiet and come with a better, longer warranty and don't really cost that much more if one shops properly and carefully. The difference can be quite small.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    It sounds like a classic case of you get what you pay for. And another reason for using good, fast HDD disk spinning hard drives, especially for backups.
    LOL. I can remember our computer operators doing daily backups to 7 Track tape drives operated by pneumatic air. That was on a mainframe IBM 360-50 (big iron). Lots of fun when a tape drive accidentally dismounted and tape went flying everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    LOL. I can remember our computer operators doing daily backups to 7 Track tape drives operated by pneumatic air. That was on a mainframe IBM 360-50 (big iron). Lots of fun when a tape drive accidentally dismounted and tape went flying everywhere.

This should get your memory back into that era:
    YouTube

I'll bet you don't miss those days or when some full boxes of Punch Cards got dumped on the floor accidentally, or when the printer's track feed paper went off its tracks.

- Patrick
    ======

Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    I tend to favour and use WD 7200 BLACK Enterprise HDD spinning drives.
    It's ironic, but currently both WD and Seagate make some of the very worst RDHD's...and some of the very best.

You can't shop simply by brand name anymore. It all depends on the care and testing put into the manufacturing of the drive.

For instance, Glyph exclusively uses Seagate mechanisms, which you would expect would mean that their external hard drives would be garbage. But they are the best you can buy. Why? Because Glyph buys direct from Seagate and specifies the quality of the drives they want, PLUS they test them themselves before using them.

It's hard to make an informed choice as a consumer. Even "enterprise" drives sold at retail aren't necessarily anything special and haven't been for a long time now:

Enterprise drives no more reliable than consumer drives:
    Enterprise Drives: Fact or Fiction?
    Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
    Mac OS X Routine Maintenance http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.15.1
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    I've been using several Samsung T-5 SSDs for my backups. The T-5 has a USB-C/3.1 connector which makes it convenient since my iMac has 2 Thunderbolt 3 ports. Backups using the Samsungs are very fast but as Randy stated, SSDs can fail with little or no warning. (which is why I use 2 of them in rotation)

I will only purchase SSDs from now on. Yes, more expensive but I believe they're getting cheaper and more reliable as time goes by.
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy B. Singer View Post
    Yes, they are getting cheaper all the time. But, no, they aren't getting more reliable. Quite the contrary, new, cheaper SSD's are doing without DRAM (the controller that tells where to find things on the drive) to bring the price down. Which means that they are slower, and that they don't last as long. Have a look at this video:

What Are DRAM-less SSDs?
    YouTube
    Thanks Randy & Charlie for the comments of SSDs - looked at the video on 'DRAM-less SSDs' - like Charlie, I've been replacing my aging (and failing) spinner HDs w/ SSDs - now have the 5 shown below (2 SanDisks, 250GB & 500GB; 2 Samsung T5s, 500GB & 1TB; & 1 Akitio bought from OWC last year); ran DriveDx and all have S.M.A.R.T. enabled but no info on the presence or absence of DRAM - send emails earlier and received one response so far from SanDisk that was not helpful, the responder stated that 'Cache' info on their 'retail drives are not published' - HUMPF! Suspect I may get a similar response from Samsung, just guessing at the moment?

Today I've been reading up on this topic and SSDs w/ DRAM which are stated to be faster and longer living, but much of the discussion was about internal SSDs as the storage device inside computers, i.e. a LOT of reads/writes/garbage cleaning/etc. Now a non-DRAM SSD used as an external storage device would certainly not see the 'activity' of one in a computer - correct? I'm currently using 4 of those SSDs shown, mainly for weekly BUs of our personal folders/files on our 3 Macs and each is far from filled, so little need for 'garbage collection' at this point.

As to cost, these SSDs (mostly depending on size since NAND is the major expense) were from $60 to $150 each - not sure that I want to spend a whole lot more (especially for a guy in retirement not needing critical BUs); of course, spinners would be cheaper but I really have liked the compactness and speed on these 'presumably non-DRAM' SSDs - NOW, just thinking out loud over this issue - comments are appreciated. Thanks - Dave

ADDENDUM: Just heard from Samsung about my T5s - as w/ SanDisk, DRAM information NOT available (quote below):
    Hello David - Thank you for contacting Samsung Memory Support. Unfortunately, Samsung does not provide information you are requesting. There is no Samsung software at this point in time that can diagnose the T5 unit. I apologize for the inconvenience.
    Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 5.50.45 PM.png
    Last edited by RadDave; 03-27-2020 at 12:28 PM.
    If you are helped, increase the reputation of the poster -

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Now a non-DRAM SSD used as an external storage device would certainly not see the 'activity' of one in a computer - correct? I'm currently using 4 of those SSDs shown, mainly for weekly BUs of our personal folders/files on our 3 Macs and each is far from filled, so little need for 'garbage collection' at this point.
    I agree completely Dave. Like you, I'm certainly not going to spend an extra $50 to $100 for external SSDs that have DRAM. My T5s are fast enough and since I rotate them their usage is cut down. Internal SSDs are of course a different matter and I believe Apple uses Samsung SSDs in most of their newer Macs. And all Apple SSDs support TRIM which is turned on by default.

Thread Information