Please Help. Trying To Get 2009 Imac Updated/Working For My Son
    Hi All! This is my first post here. I have an old 2009 Imac that I've had in storage. Now that schools are out here in NC until at least May I am having to try o set up a home computer for my 6 year old to do his school work and skype assignments on with his teacher. The problem is...I can't seem to get it updated. I completely wiped and started with OSX Leopard [which is what it automatically installed and had from the factory. I looked online and it looks like the computer can technically handle up to El Capitan but I just can't get it updated. I think I might have to update each operating system to the next, because I tried updating from Leopard straight to El capitan but it wouldn't work. I got snow leopard running 10.6 but cant install Lion because its saying that I need at least 10.66 to do so. Problem is when I try to update snow leopard I get some window telling me that some kind of security thing and someting about tampering isnt letting me update it.

Can anyone help me figure this out? Snow Leopard is still so old that I can't really go to any websites or download chrome etc because nothing is supported that far back. I really need to get this set up for him and I just can't seem to catcha break.

In summary heres what I've done so far in order.

[1] 2009 Imac running leopard
    [2] Created El Capitan usb installer
    [3] Wouldnt install El Capitan
    [4] Found original CD's that came with the imac I have Snow Leopard and then a burned disc for Lion I made a long time ago
    [5] Was successful in getting Snow Leopard 10.6 installed
    [6] Tried to move on to Lion install...says I can't install Lion unless I upgrade snow leopard to 10.66
    [7] Tried to update snow leopard but am getting an error saying something like "application can’t be verified. It may have been corrupted or tampered with during installation or whatever.

Thanks

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 11 iOS 13, 1st Gen 12.9" iPad Pro iPadOS 13
    See if you can download and install this, Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Let me see if I can find a away to download it and get it over to the imac. I cant seem to get to the link on safari on the imac

Your Mac's Specs
    2020 13" MBPro, 2010 MacPro, 11”‘ iPad Pro, iPhone Xs Max
    This may or may not work but, it is worth a try. Disconnect your iMac from the internet - turn off WiFi and if there is a NIC cable, disconnect it too.
    Try changing the date on your 2009 iMac to a date after September 2015. Something like say 10-1-2015. I have read it is an the issue has to do with the installer looking at the date on the iMac and finding the El Capitan to be outdated.

Now shut it off and plug in your El Capitan installer. Hold down the option key as you turn the computer back on. Select your USB installer and hope it works! If it doesn’t work you are out nothing but a bit of time.

Don’t forget to set the date back to the correct one!

Lisa
    Recommend using Onyx to clean your Mac.
    If you have been helped, please add to their reputation by clicking on the icon in the lower left hand corner of the post.

Your Mac's Specs
    You should be able to download it on any winOS/macOS PC.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Ok I got that downloaded and installed. Is there a link like that for lion updates? etc? Im guessing Im going to have to do this for ever OSX and pack pof updates sequentially until I get to el capitan?

On a side not. Its only a dual core with 4gb of ram. What version is the oldest that I can download and still have all of the modern stuff like flash and browser compatibility with sky etc

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by mattman282 View Post
    Ok I got that downloaded and installed. Is there a link like that for lion updates? etc? Im guessing Im going to have to do this for ever OSX and pack pof updates sequentially until I get to el capitan?

On a side not. Its only a dual core with 4gb of ram. What version is the oldest that I can download and still have all of the modern stuff like flash and browser compatibility with sky etc
    No, you shouldn't have to do every upgrade.

Early 2009 iMacs will only accept OS X El Capitan (10.11), but Late 2009 iMacs will accept up to macOS High Sierra (10.13).
    -- Bob --

I guess the question is...with the core 2 duo and 4gb of ram...how usable or slow will it be with el capitan on it?

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    For what your 6yo needs, it should do fine. You need internet access and as long as you can get a browser to work, all should be good. Skype I can't help with, I don't know how far back it supports. Maybe somebody will chime in with that.

I must say I'm impressed that a 6yo has teachers willing and able to tele-teach. Kudos to him/her!
    Jake

Ok after jumping through a lot of hoops I'm currently in the installation phase of El Capitan. Fingers crossed it successfully completes.

Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    For what your 6yo needs, it should do fine. You need internet access and as long as you can get a browser to work, all should be good. Skype I can't help with, I don't know how far back it supports. Maybe somebody will chime in with that.

I must say I'm impressed that a 6yo has teachers willing and able to tele-teach. Kudos to him/her!
    We are VERY blessed for our little guy to go to the school he is at and have the teacher that he does. We live in a small town and the school is rated very well. He's actually in a mixed Kindergarten/First grade class and his teacher was a state teacher of the year last year. She's awesome. We are doing the majority of his lessons with work sheets etc but we will be having a daily snack time virutal call with other kids in his class and occasional calls throughout the week with his teacher to go over his progress. When he started kindergarten back in Aug he knew his letters...he can straight up read now. It's crazy.

Thanks all for the help. Ill let you know if it gets set up perfectly soon.

The security errors are probably due to block on Mac OS.
    See Open a Mac app from an unidentified developer - Apple Support

+1. Agreed!!!
    Very impressive!!!

And welcome to mac-forums.com

- Patrick
    ======

Thread Information