Question Almost all apps and system menus quit, also crash report
    Hello to everyone,

I'm new as a member but have always been a visitor and found excellent solutions to my inquiries. Thank you all!

Hope everyone is healthy and following govt. rules to stop this covid-19 getting worse

PROBLEM: I have an iMac 27 late 2015, with Sierra 10.12.6, and as stated in subject a lot of apps are crashing, both built-in mac apps and 3rd party (office, Adobe PS, illustrator, etc), some inmediatly and others after 1-3min; besides, some system menus like: user and accounts, terminal, connect to server via finder,... they all work until some point and then show some error or quit unexpectedly... also when I get the crash report window and open it just quits.

Assuming it's a virus, I downloaded malwarebytes mac.pkg, and eventually it opens and then closes. But office installer.pkg runs fine, so it looks really like a kidnapped system.

I cannot create another admin account, via preferences nor terminal, they both quit.

Any idea of what to do?

I have CleanmymacX installed and runs fine, then did a malware scan and nothing found.

Almost all apps and system menus quit, also crash report
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.15.5 beta
    I have that same machine and what you are experiencing is certainly not the norm. A couple of questions occur to me that might help us fluter this out.

1.Do you have a backup (Time Machine or bootable clone).
    2. Are you able to launch Disk Utility and run Disk First Aid?
    3. Personally I'd get rid of Clean My Mac. Sometimes its "cleaning" routines seem to cause more problems than they solve.

“Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Thanks.

1. No
    2. Yes, all green OK
    3. Ok, anyway I stopped the launch agents and it runs only by demand. I like it mostly for uninstalling apps and delete garbage.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 11 iOS 13, 1st Gen 12.9" iPad Pro iPadOS 13
    1 - It is not a virus.
    2 - To properly install Malwarebytes, you will need to go into System Preferences > Security & Preferences.

Try these first;

Safe mode boot - Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support
    NVRAM reset - Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support
    SMC reset - How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    2020 13" MBPro, 2010 MacPro, 11”‘ iPad Pro, iPhone Xs Max
    You might try downloading Onyx and running it. Do the full maintenance mode. It will fix all kinds of problems. It is free but make sure to get the one for your version of OS X.

Titanium Software | Operating system utilities for Mac - OnyX

Lisa
    Recommend using Onyx to clean your Mac.
    If you have been helped, please add to their reputation by clicking on the icon in the lower left hand corner of the post.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    You might want to run a check on the hard drive that's installed in your iMac. Lots of apps crashing sounds more like a hardware problem.

Boot to recovery, (command plus r) then open utilities, Disk Utility, and run First Aid on your hard drive. Let us know the results.

Also.... any reason why you have remained with Sierra? That version of macOS is out of date and is becoming a security risk. I recommend updating to at least Mojave after you resolve the crashing.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    1 - It is not a virus.
    2 - To properly install Malwarebytes, you will need to go into System Preferences > Security & Preferences.

Try these first;

Safe mode boot - Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support
    NVRAM reset - Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support
    SMC reset - How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support
    Done it, still same behavior

- - - Updated - - -

onyx let me check volume struture, ran OK, but on permissions it crashed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lclev View Post
    You might try downloading Onyx and running it. Do the full maintenance mode. It will fix all kinds of problems. It is free but make sure to get the one for your version of OS X.

Titanium Software | Operating system utilities for Mac - OnyX

Lisa

onyx let me check volume struture, ran OK, but on permissions it crashed.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    You might want to run a check on the hard drive that's installed in your iMac. Lots of apps crashing sounds more like a hardware problem.

Boot to recovery, (command plus r) then open utilities, Disk Utility, and run First Aid on your hard drive. Let us know the results.

Also.... any reason why you have remained with Sierra? That version of macOS is out of date and is becoming a security risk. I recommend updating to at least Mojave after you resolve the crashing.
    You're right, I just decided go with High sierra, I think mojave has more features I dont use and as for graphics design and office I prefer a lighter MacOS

I'm backing up files and then format.

Thank you all.

Let you know how it goes. I still dont know if it's not a hardware problem

Your Mac's Specs
    Onyx crashing - that is a first for me. I think a clean install is the way to go. Keep us informed.

Lisa
    If you have been helped, please add to their reputation by clicking on the icon in the lower left hand corner of the post.

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    I'm not sure High Sierra is a "lighter OS" im not even sure what that means. Mojave is, in my mind, one of the best macOS ever released.

Now I'm going to suggest something you may or may not have tried, turning off the device. Shut down, turn off the power at the device switch and unplug it from the wall socket. Leave it for 5min and startup again.
    I know that sounds silly but it is often completely overlooked as a problem solving procedure.

If that has no effect then what Lisa suggests may be the only way to fix this if its a software problem.
    The permissions issue is a new one to me and there was a time when Disk Utility used to perform Repair permissions as a seperate function. Now it is done automatically at Restart or shut down and boot. If this is not happening then reinstalling may be the only way.
    Don't be an April Fool: WORLD BACKUP DAY MARCH 31st

turning off the device. Shut down, turn off the power at the device switch and unplug it from the wall socket. Leave it for 5min and startup again.
    Using that method and leaving it in that state overnight can sometimes have even more benefits.

- Patrick
    ======

Thank you all,

It had to be a software/malware issue. Since I formatted the mac it's been working flawlessly.

Your Mac's Specs
    That is awesome! Glad it is back working.

Lisa

Your Mac's Specs
    I have 4 Macs, most recent 2020, 13.3 MacBook Air running on osMac 10.15.3
    CleanMyMac
    Quote Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
    I have that same machine and what you are experiencing is certainly not the norm. A couple of questions occur to me that might help us fluter this out.

1.Do you have a backup (Time Machine or bootable clone).
    2. Are you able to launch Disk Utility and run Disk First Aid?
    3. Personally I'd get rid of Clean My Mac. Sometimes its "cleaning" routines seem to cause more problems than they solve.

I'm a Mac user for 27 years, first Mac was LC III with 2 MB RAM and 160 MB HD on system 7.6.

I've found that the latest version of CleanMyMac X. I've had it since it was first released with no problems. If you try a new application and don't like it most users I know would just put it in the bin, but this doesn't fully uninstall the application, but the uninstall of CleanMyMac X does.

I find MacPaw to be a good developer and they keep to their promise of a refund if you don't like CleanMyMac X.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonixpc View Post
    Thank you all,

It had to be a software/malware issue. Since I formatted the mac it's been working flawlessly.

That's a bit odd, as re-formatting and software problems aren't normally related and any formatting would delete all data and it would have to be re-installed.

Anyway, I'm glad to read you got the problem fixed and welcome to mac-forums.com.

- Patrick
    ======

Thread Information