Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New drive on installed in Mac Mini results in Read Only Install - Help. 10.13.4

I am trying to upgrade a 250gb SSD to a 500gb SSD drive in my late 2012 Mac Mini running 10.13.4. No matter how I try to reformat and install the OS on the new drive, the result is Read Only.

Apple support claims that the OS is coded to prevent me from doing this myself. Does anyone have a proven workaround for this issue?

I just want a copy of my old drive on a newer drive that has more storage. I thought that this would be a really straightforward project.....

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Welcome to the forum. How about you tell us what you have tried already so we don't suggest things you have done? There are several ways to do what you are trying to do, but if you've tried some of them already, give us the errors you got when you did. Do you have a backup of the smaller drive? Will it boot from the smaller drive when it's attached externally? Lots of ways to go once we know.
    Jake

Right. I've tried all of the conventional ways.

Carbon Copy Cloner - installs files - boots - drive is READ ONLY

Restore from Time Machine - installs files - boots - drive is READ ONLY

Clean install of OS - installs OS - boots - drive is READ ONLY.

~

I called Apple Support. The advisor said that code will prevent me from installing my own drive with read & write functionality. It was suggested that I should have the work done at an authorized service center. The drives are already in place and installed correctly. What exactly do I need them to do?

I put new drives in this Mac Mini when I first purchased it (late 2012 Mac Mini). I maxed out the RAM myself. No issues.

I changed positions of the old drive and the new drive internally (switched the old to "slot 2" and put the new drive in "slot 1". The old drive in the second slot is now also READ ONLY.

The Time Machine backup was done before I rearranged anything. It should be a perfect copy of a fully operable boot drive.

And finally, if I use disk utility to erase the new 500gb drive it erases and formats READ & WRITE.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB blade drive, OS X.15.5.
    Are you choosing the HSF+ format, Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and choosing GUID?

Is the new drive first connected externally, formatted, and cloning software used to clone the 250 drive to the 500, and then do you go into System Preferences > Startup Disk and selecting the external as the boot drive? If all works well, remove the internal anmd replace, into System Preferences again and choose the new drive as the boot drive.

Personally I always make a USB thumb drive of the current operating system usin g Diskmaker X and boot from that to format the drive and do a clean intsall. When the Mac wants to enteryour details, hit Command C for quit, hook up the external drive and use Migration Assistamnt to mov e everything over. This is found in Utilities.

As an aside I never did trust TM for backups
    Last edited by harryb2448; 03-13-2020 at 02:19 PM.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Your Mac's Specs
    I don't know what you mean by "conventional ways." However, here is Apple's documentation on reinstalling macOS: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 11 iOS 13, 1st Gen 12.9" iPad Pro iPadOS 13
    One thing to remember when using modern macOS Disk Utility, is to select View > Show all devices, or something to that affect?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    remove the internal anmd replace
    You've pinpointed the step I had trouble with. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    I don't know what you mean by "conventional ways."
    I listed the conventional ways I've tried right after the first sentence.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    something to that affect?
    Thanks!

I wiped the drive all the way heck back to Snow Leopard and somehow rebuilt from there. I don't remember the steps so you're all on your own.

Your Mac's Specs
    Glad you got it sorted. I was out of touch yesterday, didn't get back to this until now, but the instructions from Apple in post #5 should have let you fix it without having to go back to factory reset. Normally, the best way to get a new drive set up is to create a bootable USB installer thumb drive before you swap the old drive out, then do the swap, boot from the USB Thumb Drive and run the installer from there. Once done, when you reboot you will be offered the opportunity to migrate all of your data. Take that opportunity and point to where your backups are, either CCC or TM, and all of your files/applications, etc., will be migrated.

Not sure what went wrong with the CCC cloning back. I've also done that multiple times and it worked perfectly every time. You boot from the CCC clone, then run CCC from the CCC clone drive to clone from the booted drive to the new internal. Not copy, but clone it back so that all the setting get set properly. Copy is not the same thing as the hidden files may or may not be properly duplicated/established.
    Jake

Normally, the best way to get a new drive set up is to create a bootable USB installer thumb drive before you swap the old drive out, then do the swap, boot from the USB Thumb Drive and run the installer from there.

Normally, the software doesn't prevent you from installing your own drives. According to an Apple support advisor this is what my problem was, as stated in the first post.

Not sure what went wrong with the CCC cloning back.
    See above.

Your Mac's Specs
    Yeah, I read that and that tech was totally incorrect. I've changed five different internal drives with zero problems. Took out the old, put in the new, booted from the old in an external enclosure, invoked CCC, cloned from the old to the new, booted from the new. Done. I've also done the bootable installer usb stick to install the OS on the new, then used Migration Assistant to migrate my data and software from the TM backup to the new drive and that worked, too. And yes, it was on two minis, two MBPs and one iMac, so it should have worked on your Mini, too. I have no idea what that tech was talking about.

You didn't say what went wrong with CCC, just that it did. Doesn't matter, you got it sorted the hard way, but it's sorted so it's all good.

Just for information you said this:
    The Time Machine backup was done before I rearranged anything. It should be a perfect copy of a fully operable boot drive.
    For next time, if there is a next time, that's not how TM works. Although it looks like a perfect copy, it is not a copy but a backup and it is not bootable to be used. You can boot a TM backup into recovery to reinstall the OS and then restore the backup, but you can't run the system from the TM drive. For CCC, it's a true clone, so you should be able to boot from a CCC drive and run from it. That is one of the differences between the two backup types and an advantage for CCC.
    Jake

You didn't say what went wrong with CCC, just that it did.

Quote Originally Posted by archie_0037 View Post
    Carbon Copy Cloner - installs files - boots - drive is READ ONLY

Your recap is an excellent assessment of how it should work.

It's curious that rebuilding from Snow Leopard fixed it isn't it? From what I just experienced I'm leaning towards what the tech said.

Also, never did mention that I was trying to boot from the .backupsdb folder. That would be ridiculous!

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 11 iOS 13, 1st Gen 12.9" iPad Pro iPadOS 13
    Also, never did mention that I was trying to boot from the .backupsdb folder. That would be ridiculous!
    Since Lion (Mac OS X.7.2) Time Machine is bootable.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    Since Lion (Mac OS X.7.2) Time Machine is bootable.
    Well, there you have it!

For the record:

Quote Originally Posted by archie_0037 View Post
    Restore from Time Machine - installs files - boots - drive is READ ONLY

Your Mac's Specs
    Bob, TM is bootable, but not to run, just to reinstall the OS. So you cannot run from the TM backup, but you can install the OS again and restore from the backup.
    Jake

Thread Information