Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Question speaker/microphone jack on the macbook air
    According to much research I found the jack is hybrid. Therefore, I need a three ring plug to use a microphone. But according to Mac Support the jack is speaker only. I'm sure they're wrong. Thoughts?

speaker/microphone jack on the macbook air
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 11 iOS 13, 1st Gen 12.9" iPad Pro iPadOS 13
    Which model year is the MacBook Air you are referring to? You could get a USB microphone, problem solved?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

2019 retina 13-inch. System Preferences Sound lists Input Name - External Microphone Type - Microphone port. This must be USB microphone like you say.

Quote Originally Posted by frankhatton View Post
    2019 retina 13-inch. System Preferences Sound lists Input Name - External Microphone Type - Microphone port. This must be USB microphone like you say.
    What exact model are you using???

You can check here and get come accurate specs on the Ports and jacks:
    Mac Specs, Prices, Answers and Comparison: EveryMac.com, Est. 1996

- Patrick
    ======

Spec for the speaker (or speaker/microphone) 3.5mm jack is not listed at Mac Specs, Prices, Answers and Comparison: EveryMac.com, Est. 1996 for my macbook

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 11 iOS 13, 1st Gen 12.9" iPad Pro iPadOS 13
    When you scroll down the page, to the grid with the device specs, did you click on the "Ports" tab?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Spec for the speaker (or speaker/microphone) 3.5mm jack is not listed at Mac Specs, Prices, Answers and Comparison: EveryMac.com, Est. 1996 for my macbook

Try this:

Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 11.13.40 AM.png

MacBook Air "Core i5" 1.6 13" (True Tone, 2019) Specs (2019**, MVFH2LL/A*, MacBookAir8,2, A1932, 3184): EveryMac.com

- Patrick
    ======

Yes thanks but it's not clear if it's the 3.5mm jack. There are Microphone (three internal)

I see the pic from Patrick which is encouraging but I have tried the jack with a three ring to three RCA plugs. Have tried every configuration of the plugs from my amp without picking up the audio. I have a USB to RCA plugs cord on its way and hope to be editing audio with Microwave Audio Editor on my macbook soon.

According to much research I found the jack is hybrid. Therefore, I need a three ring plug to use a microphone. But according to Mac Support the jack is speaker only. I'm sure they're wrong. Thoughts?

Try doing a bit more research and checking for what you are attempting to do and with the application you might be using.

Maybe some of these might help:
    use a microphone twith he macbook air - Google Search

I would have thought that using a USB Microphone would be the better route to go.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.15.5 beta
    If I grabbed the right page here's what Apple says about the specs for the 2019 Retina MacBook Air

Audio

• Stereo speakers
    • Three microphones
    • 3.5 mm headphone jack
    See here

As I read those specs the audio jack is headphones only (audio out). It looks like the microphones are internal only. The only way I can think of to get a mc working on that machine is to do one of the following:
    1. Use any usb mic/headset mic etc. (easiest). If your recording neds are pretty basic this will probably get you the best results.
    2. If you already have a mic with a 3.5 mm connector you will need something like this. There are several of these out there and not all of them work with a Msc. I haven't personally tested the one I linked to but that should give you an idea what to look for.
    3. There are several audio interfaces/misers available that will work with the Mac but many of these are more expensive than a decent USB mic.

Edit: The MacTracker app agrees with my reading of those specs. The only mics listed for it are three internal mics.
    Last edited by Slydude; 03-12-2020 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Added info
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

It's not a microphone that I'm using. I really want to get this going because many years ago I converted audio from my stereo to mp3 files very successfully using Audio Catalyst software and Windows 95. Microwave Audio Editor is advertised as being able to do this. I don't want to go back to using a 23 year old Pentium.

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.15.5 beta
    Sorry about that. I forgot what you were trying to do. A device like the one I linked to above should get the job done. Simply plug your cable into that device and lug the device into a usb port. Years ago I did the same thing you are trying to do using a device called iMic from Griffin Technology. That device seems to no longer be available and is getting difficult to find. Several of the devices on this page should work.

If you're converting audio cassettes a device such as one of these should work but I've never used one.
    Kevin Durant

Thank you. At this point I will keep obtaining devices and will start with Sabrent USB External Stereo Sound Adapter. The iLuv USB Audio Adapter looks interesting too.
    Incidentally, when I plug a cord between the macbook and my stereo, System Preferences does not list External Microphone Type - Microphone port. What is listed is Macbook Air microphone Type - Built in. But then without the cord plugged in there is listed External Microphone Type - Microphone port. The cord seems to lose the external mic option.
    Anyway the devices needed aren't expensive and I'm sure I will get there.

Your Mac's Specs
    Keep us posted. If you have more questions just ask.

Kevin Durant

Thread Information