Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I need advice on transferring 100+ Personal Folders from Apple Mail to Outlook.
    If there is no technical issue that you're running into at this time, I'm going to consider this ticket solved.

Amen.

- Patrick
    ======

Quote Originally Posted by BudVitoff View Post

From all that writing, I will tell you he is right about a couple things. First, he is right about the local backups. We strongly believe you shouldn't rely on a single destination for backup, even our cloud. Thatís why CrashPlan gives you the ability to back up to local destinations, and is why we recommend you back up to both onsite and offsite destinations. Second, the internet is indeed usually the biggest bottleneck for backup programs...
    It doesn't take a genius to figure out that the "he" is me.

But we don't disagree.

I don't recommend cloud-based backups because the Internet is a huge bottleneck, and the CrashPlan folks agree that it is. Best to avoid that bottleneck completely.

I also think that local backups are the way to go, and the CrashPlan folks agree with that too. The only place where we disagree on that is that they want you to use their service to create local backups. I think that there are much better apps for creating local backups. In fact, I think that it would be beneficial to have more than one type of local backup if your data is really valuable/important.

I'm glad that we can all agree with the above.

I don't know if folks know that CrashPlan sent out an email indicating they are abandoning the consumer (as opposed to business) market not too long ago. So for most users, discussion about CrashPlan as a backup option has become moot.

The WireCutter now recommends BackBlaze if you want a cloud-based backup service:

The Best Online Cloud Backup Service | Reviews by Wirecutter

But like CrashPlan, BackBlaze does a horrible job with metadata. From the above cited Web site:

"Backblaze isnít great at keeping metadata intact. (I looked into this topic in my tests of Backblaze after a reader inquiry, but I did not test the other apps in this review for metadata support.) Metadata includes such details as file ownership and permissions, creation date, and (for Mac owners) Finder tags and comments. Some people, and some apps they use, depend heavily on metadata, while others are barely aware of its existence. But, fair warning: If metadata integrity is essential to you, Backblaze is not your friend. In my tests, the only type of metadata Backblaze reliably restored was the resource forks found in certain Mac files. This is the sort of thing you should test for yourself with any cloud backup service, before making a commitment, by running a free trial version."

I agree. Mac users need to be extremely careful in their choice(s) of backup software/services. Poor choices can turn a really bad situation (your main hard drive dying) into an even worse one, or a catastrophe.
    Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
    Mac OS X Routine Maintenance ē http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 iMac 21.5; 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5; 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Mojave.
    Randy,

Thanks for all the info. You've certainly given me some stuff to think about.

OTOH, it's amazing how these posts can take a detour from the original post. I didn't want to talk about backup. All I wanted to do was find a good way to transfer my personal folders from Apple Mail to Outlook. Nothing else!

I'm kind of glad that it took this long, though, because it finally occurred to me last night that I don't have to keep those 100+ folders in my email package. I'm hoping that I would have no trouble if I changed their residence to someplace outside of the mail client boundaries and all its restrictions. (I just now took a look, and it may be a messy venture, but I have plenty of time.)

To quote Patrick: Amen

and remember to wash your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by BudVitoff View Post

OTOH, it's amazing how these posts can take a detour from the original post. I didn't want to talk about backup. All I wanted to do was find a good way to transfer my personal folders from Apple Mail to Outlook. Nothing else!
    And I told you how to do it with the second post in this thread. Have you even tried the free demo of Emailchemy? I've never heard of it failing.

If you have problems getting Emailchemy to do what you want to do, I'm sure that the developer would be happy to assist you. No one knows more about how to transfer mail from one program to another than they do.
    Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
    Mac OS X Routine Maintenance ē http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 iMac 21.5; 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5; 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Mojave.
    Randy,

Yes, I bought and used Emailchemy and they did everything right for me except for one thing. Last night I received an email from them telling me how to handle that remaining item (in this thread's subject line) and it looks easy enough, so I think I'm in good hands.

Thank you for providing the reference to the one organization that could do exactly what I needed done.

And don't forget to wash your hands.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Bud, how about giving Randy a thumbs up for his help.

Ian
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IWT View Post
    Bud, how about giving Randy a thumbs up for his help.

Ian

+1. I agree!!!

But it appears that one doesn't get any more credit than a maximum of 11 green circle credits showing.

Maybe that's the maximum allowed and you have earned the same, but probably more earned and deserving than what is showing!!!

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Maybe that's the maximum allowed and you have earned the same, but probably more earned and deserving than what is showing!!!
    It's based on a secret formula Patrick. We keep it close hold the same way the Coca Cola folks keep their special formula.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    It's based on a secret formula Patrick. We keep it close hold the same way the Coca Cola folks keep their special formula.

You mean like this???

Is This the Secret Coke Recipe? - ABC News

BTW: when you get to the WD-40 part, they make a very bad generalized misinformation statement.
    In actual fact, WD-40 isn't actually a true lubricant. WD stands for "water displacing" and its main use is as a solvent or rust dissolver.

The 40 in its name represents the inventor's trial number when creating the product.

- Patrick
    ======

Thread Information