Photos on iMac to mirror those on iPhone

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 21.5" 2.7GHz Intel Core i5 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M 512MB Mojave 10.14.6
    When I take photos with the camera on my iPhone SE the photos are shown in the Photos app on the iPhone and in 'Photos' on my iMac. But when I delete photos from my iMac they are not deleted from my iPhone. Can I set up the mac and phone to have the same photos irrespective of which one I use to delete?

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Hi and welcome.

That’s how it works.

Depending on the settings you have, a picture taken on an iDevice is stored in what used to be called Camera Roll but is now called Recents.

A copy is shown in My Photo Stream. This latter feature syncs with all your other iDevices and your Mac.

Any pictures in Recents remains there till you delete it. Similarly, the copy on your Mac remains till you delete it.

But if you delete a picture in My Photo Stream, it deletes that picture in all your iDevices except the iDevice which took the picture, where it remains in Recents - and on your Mac.

If you delete a picture on your Mac, that has no effect on your iDevice - whether you took the picture on that Device or not.

As I said, this does depend on your settings, but that is how it works.

That hopefully answers the question in your last sentence. This long explanation can be shortened to “ No”. Hope the above makes sense.

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 21.5" 2.7GHz Intel Core i5 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M 512MB Mojave 10.14.6
    Quote Originally Posted by IWT View Post
    Hi and welcome.

That’s how it works.

Depending on the settings you have, a picture taken on an iDevice is stored in what used to be called Camera Roll but is now called Recents.

A copy is shown in My Photo Stream. This latter feature syncs with all your other iDevices and your Mac.

Any pictures in Recents remains there till you delete it. Similarly, the copy on your Mac remains till you delete it.

But if you delete a picture in My Photo Stream, it deletes that picture in all your iDevices except the iDevice which took the picture, where it remains in Recents - and on your Mac.

If you delete a picture on your Mac, that has no effect on your iDevice - whether you took the picture on that Device or not.

As I said, this does depend on your settings, but that is how it works.

That hopefully answers the question in your last sentence. This long explanation can be shortened to “ No”. Hope the above makes sense.

Ian
    The long explanation is much appreciated. Thank you Ian.

Your Mac's Specs
    PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. iPhone 5 iOS 11.3.
    Next time you sync your iPhone with your iMac, the photos that you deleted on the iMac will disappear from the iPhone.

Your Mac's Specs
    Ok, interesting. I'll try that thanks.

Thread Information