Rod,

Did you try Free Office?
    I tried Libre Office and Open Office a while back and didn't like them
    Free Office seems to be the closest to MS Office

MacBook Pro won't read CD
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    I did and I was impressed but that was more recently. The big drawback for me is the lack of mobile app. I'm tend to move from one device to another a lot, I'm a big Handoff and Continuity user.
    Don't be an April Fool: WORLD BACKUP DAY MARCH 31st

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I did and I was impressed but that was more recently. The big drawback for me is the lack of mobile app. I'm tend to move from one device to another a lot, I'm a big Handoff and Continuity user.
    When I upgraded to Catalina, and had to migrate from Microsoft Word and Excel, I tried several of the options, and have settled on SoftMaker Office. Like the others, it has a free version. The only disadvantage I have experienced, is it seems sometimes a little slow. Thus, for example, File>Save, which was pretty nearly instantaneous in Word and Excel, sometimes takes a couple of seconds to complete. I want to get used to it, because its two apps I use (wordprocessing and spreadsheets) are nice, nicer I think than OpenOffice, LibreOffice, FreeOffice.

To your question: SoftMaker Office describes itself as "The only complete office suite for Android tablets". I do not use that capability, so I do not know how easy (or even possible) it would be to swap work back and forth between a Mac computer and an Android mobile device. SoftMaker has a decent Support Forum where you might be able to get an answer to that.
    Last edited by stefanmaine; 02-29-2020 at 07:44 AM.

Just to make sure there is no confusion by anyone - Softmaker Office as mentioned in the post above and FreeOffice are the same applications.

Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    Just to make sure there is no confusion by anyone - Softmaker Office as mentioned in the post above and FreeOffice are the same applications.

Just to make things more confusing, softmaker office isn't even listed at Macupdate.com and a few other Mac software sites.

Patrick
    ---------

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac
    To take things beyond confusing, I was first introduced to SoftMaker in a much earlier thread when I was considering upgrading to Catalina to cure an unrelated issue, but was concerned about losing the use of Word & Excel, and chscag suggested "take a look at SoftMaker Free Office".

Clearly, krs, you are correct. The full name is indeed "SoftMaker Free Office".

An amusing tangent ... SoftMaker comes in a variety of languages, and of course, there is provision for a user to choose. After selecting "English (US)" I noticed that on a couple of dialog boxes, the choices were in German; for example at File>Save As, the options display as Abbrechen and Sichern (which, thanks to Google Translate, I confirmed mean Cancel and Save). I asked about that at their Forum, assuming I had missed a toggle switch, to which a SoftMaker representative replied "Thank you for your report. I was also able to reproduce it, and I'm going to report it to the developers!"

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    SoftMaker also has an office suite which is not free that offers more than their Free Office. Free Office can open older MS documents but can not edit them and save in that same format, however, their pay version does have that ability.

I have their pay version (purchased when it was on sale). I tested it on some of my older MS documents and even on some newer ones. The only problem I ran into was with older documents that contained special formatting and some very long documents. The margins and indents had to be redone. Also, SoftMaker both the Free and pay versions do not always recognize MS fonts. That's another problem because of kerning.

All in all, I highly recommend either their Free or pay versions as an excellent substitute for MS Office. I no longer recommend LibreOffice or Open Office.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    I have their pay version (purchased when it was on sale).
    Thank you again for your original recommendation.

Shortly after downloading, I received an email with a "special offer" to upgrade ... for about $20, which I did.

There are a few, minor (to my needs) differences from Microsoft, but once you get those into your head, it is really nice.

Thread Information