Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Upgraded to an SSD how do I install MACOS making a USB from Windows
    Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    I don't understand why you are working so hard trying to help the OP to bypass the normal upgrade process that Apple decided to implement.
    One could argue that's actually software piracy.
    I'm sure what you are proposing will work because that has come up in another thread here a while back.

I think the OP should just spend the $28.- and do it the way Apple has set it up.
    Good grief, we are talking $28.- not hundreds.
    Calling this software piracy is one heckuva stretch there. There's no DRM being broken. No illegal downloads involved. You may as well claim that the apps I mentioned are piracy tools since they are doing things Apple didn't explicitly intend to be used for their software or anyone else's. Or maybe they did intend this for people who know what they are doing... they could have done something to encrypt the downloadable package or any number of things if they really wanted to stop it. You want to show me an EULA for El Capitan that explicitly says "you may only install El Capitan if you have a legal license to Snow Leopard or later", then I'll grant you the argument.

I don't know why he doesn't want to spend the $28... I'm not familiar with his finances and I'm not going to judge the matter. I know what it's like to be dead broke.
    Last edited by Lifeisabeach; 02-15-2020 at 11:12 AM.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | Find Any File | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | DetectX: Malware monitoring and removal | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifeisabeach View Post
    Calling this software piracy is one heckuva stretch there.
    That's why I phrased it:
    One could argue that's actually software piracy.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Bob, thanks for that. I had not realized there was more on that page that was not on my screen.

OK, given where the OP is and where he can go, I think the best way to get there is to spring for Snow Leopard (10.6) even if he has to get it through Ebay. He just needs to make sure that what he gets is a full installer, not a machine-specific one. That installation comes on a disk and should put him in touch with the App Store. Then he can directly move up to El Cap at no additional cost.

Or he could call Apple and explain what he is trying to do and see if he can purchase Lion or Mountain Lion and get a full download without having to get to the App Store. With that download he can build a bootable installer and go directly to one of them and from there jump to El Cap.

Or he could call Apple and explain what he is trying to do and see if they will let him get to El Cap directly, which would be even nicer as he would not have to pay anything.

Other than that, I don't see how he can get what he wants done without a thousand hoops...
    Last edited by MacInWin; 02-15-2020 at 02:27 PM.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    That's why I phrased it:
    Well aren't we feeling saucy today? Well I'm arguing it's not, so I suggest dropping the subject and maybe thinking better of suggesting someone is facilitating piracy without better cause for it in the future. It'd be pretty awful if that someone was to take it personal.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | Find Any File | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | DetectX: Malware monitoring and removal | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Your Mac's Specs
    27" iMac mid-2011, ipad.Air 2', iPhone 8+.
    Fight! Fight! Okay one COULD ARGUE that it is also murder. I said could argue. Ease up people. Chill.

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gates Jr. View Post
    Fight! Fight! Okay one COULD ARGUE that it is also murder. I said could argue. Ease up people. Chill.
    LOL! This discussion was over a week ago. It was chill by the tine you chimed in here, chief. Believe you me (and believe those who are more familiar with my earlier days here), I'm known to get EXTREMELY not-so-chill over lesser things, although that's VERY largely in the past (turns out there was good reason for it, but hey, it is what it was). That said, I'm not going to turn the other cheek, and anyone who has the nerve to question my motivations for helping someone needs to stop and consider the hypocrisy of that attitude given the mission of this site and the fact that the members participate for nothing in return, themselves included. 'Nuff said.
    Last edited by Lifeisabeach; 02-22-2020 at 11:49 PM.

------
    ------

MBAmtloin
    if anyone needs a legitimate version of Snow Leopard, Lion or Mountain Lion, i can install that on a usb drive for them, rather than risking a seedy download. since apple is discontinuing these OSX the mac users with older machines need the proper software to run their computers.
    i was going to type something about my stubborn opinion on apple pulling support for older things they manufactured, but desired to be productive instead.
    im glad the forums are back!

Thread Information