Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Upgraded to an SSD how do I install MACOS making a USB from Windows
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade Drive, OS X.15.4,.
    1. Tranbsmas will not work period.

2. As stated, your iMac is a 1225.
    Last edited by harryb2448; 02-13-2020 at 11:56 PM.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Your Mac's Specs
    1. Spend money and buy a copy of OS X.6 Snow Leopard and install that.

2. Create an Apple ID and then download free later versions from the App Store.

Mac OS X Snow Leopard Install DVD | eBay

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by audi911 View Post
    Is there any way (without buying anything) to get a fresh copy of ANY os on this iMAC via USB.
    If yes, if transmac doesn't work, is there any way that I can do it directly from the MAC considering I can still boot from it?
    I can't believe that someone who owns a MAC doesn't have a simple upgrade OS reinstall feature available to them.
    In Windows you download the ISO make a bootable USB and you are ready to go, it's impossible MAC doesn't have this feature?
    Is there some kind of restore partition on the MAC that can recreate the OS on a USB stick or something like that?
    I took another look over all the replies in the thread here. With all the voices, things can get chaotic. So, it looks like you previously confirmed you have Mac OS 10.5.8 currently installed and booted off the internal drive. So that’s good. You’ve been running into problems so far because you are trying to install a version of OS X that is not supported on your particular model. It’s too old. As previously stated, the latest you can install is 10.11, aka El Capitan. It is downloadable direct from Apple. Two of us have provided the download link, but here it is again:
    How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan - Apple Support

Now, to address what you want to do. It sounds like you want to make a bootable installer onto a USB flash drive and reinstall OS X from scratch so you have a clean slate with the most recent version that you can run, correct? That’s a very sensible thing to do and absolutely possible. In fact we advocate for it all the time. Luckily there is a free tool to make this easy. Download either DiskMaker X Pro (the latest universal DiskMaker utility) or DiskMaker X 6 (the version specific for creating an El Capitan installer).
    DiskMaker X Pro

You will have to download the installer from Apple via the link above, which is a dmg file. This is a “disk image”, the equivalent of an iso. Open that, and you will see the contents displayed as if it was a CD. Run the file “InstallMacOSX.pkg” and it will create the installer, titled “Install OS X El Capitan” and place it in your Apps folder. It will likely automatically launch the installer when done, but you can just quit it. Then use DiskMaker to create your USB installer.

For doing the actual install, here’s a guide:
    How to perform a Clean Install of OS X El Capitan on Your Mac
    Last edited by Lifeisabeach; 02-14-2020 at 12:14 AM.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | Find Any File | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | DetectX: Malware monitoring and removal | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifeisabeach View Post
    Two of us have provided the download link, but here it is again:
    How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan - Apple Support
    ...except that link is no good for the OP - one has to be on macOS 10.6 or later to use that upgrade to El Capitan; OP is on 10.5 and doesn't want to spend the money to go to 10.6

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    ...except that link is no good for the OP - one has to be on macOS 10.6 or later to use that upgrade to El Capitan; OP is on 10.5 and doesn't want to spend the money to go to 10.6
    Dangit! I overlooked that specific pre-requirement. Now I get why he wants to make the installer via Windows. Welp, it can be had for 20 bucks, but you have to call Apple.
    Where buy Snow Leopard - Apple Community

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | Find Any File | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | DetectX: Malware monitoring and removal | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Your Mac's Specs
    Apple withdrew Snow Leopard OS X.6 from sale and now the earliest available is Lion OS X.7 I believe and would not recommend Lion to anyone.

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    Apple withdrew Snow Leopard OS X.6 from sale and now the earliest available is Lion OS X.7 I believe and would not recommend Lion to anyone.
    I wouldn't recommend either if something newer can be run (unless one specifically needs Snow Leopard for Rosetta). He just needs one or the other of these as a path to getting the El Capitan installer to run.

I'll confess this is a bit of a nuisance. Apple is freely making El Capitan, Sierra, and High Sierra freely available to download and install without going through the App Store, but making it so you have to have at least Snow Leopard already installed is making this unnecessarily hard. I also don't get the point of running an installer to create the installer. Just update the “Install OS X El Capitan” app so it can be run from 10.5 also and just put that in the DMG file. They are a multi-billion dollar company. They can figure this out.

------
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    One can always buy the Snow Leopard DVD elsewhere, for instance:
    Apple Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.3 | eBay

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    In post #11 audi911 states that he can still boot from the device so assuming the CD/DVD Drive still works all that is required is a bootable installer on a disk. Alternatively if it is capable of connecting to the internet it is possible that a later OSX could be downloaded but creating a USB installer on the device is probably out of the question.
    I think Bob's suggestion of a friend with a Mac is probably the best option and the only free one.
    All that would be required would be to download a free Instal Disk Creator, download say OSX Lion or El Capitan (I'm sure one of us has a link for that) and create a USB bootable installer.
    Or am I missing something?
    Don't be an April Fool: WORLD BACKUP DAY MARCH 31st

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    Sorry a few people posted while I was writing my last post but the link provided for El Capitan by Lifeisabeach will work. I'm not sure if 10.5.8 is able to create the bootable USB installer though. Worth trying anywaay, maybe Install Disk Creator from MacDaddy will run on 10.5.8 it's certainly the easiest to use.
    Don't be an April Fool: WORLD BACKUP DAY MARCH 31st

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Sorry a few people posted while I was writing my last post but the link provided for El Capitan by Lifeisabeach will work.
    Have you actually tried that? Directly from 10.5 without going via Snow Leopard the way the Apple site specifies?

I upgraded to El Capitan myself, but I was coming from Snow Leopard so I met the requirement that Apple supposedly (?) requires.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    Jake, that version requires the Mac OS X/OS X App Store. We're not sure what is installed on the iMac to begin with.

Edit: Also, if you have a friend with a Mac, you could ask them to help you make the bootable USB installer.
    It doesn't say that on the website linked to. In fact, it refers to being available at an Apple store and that it takes about 3 days to deliver by email. Nothing about the App Store at all. How did you get to that conclusion, Bob?
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    Have you actually tried that? Directly from 10.5 without going via Snow Leopard the way the Apple site specifies?

I upgraded to El Capitan myself, but I was coming from Snow Leopard so I met the requirement that Apple supposedly (?) requires.
    If he can get a bootable installer made, then he's good to go. The problem is that the package that Apple provides as a download must be launched first from within OS X to make the actual installer app that DiskMaker uses, and that package has to be run under Snow Leopard or later. At least, I assume it does. Maybe the package will run under Lion and make the installer, but the installer is what won't run. If that's the case, it won't matter because he can make a bootable USB installer using DiskMaker.

ALTHOUGH! Hold the phone here! I just inspected the El Capitan package from Apple using the app Suspicious Package and extracted the installer app right out of it! I can't fully test it, but it appears to be valid. Link below. They have a version compatible with 10.5!
    Suspicious Package | Frequently Asked Questions

So here's what I would do.

1. Download El Capitan direct from Apple as directed. Download DiskMaker X 6. Download Suspicious Package 1.2
    2. Open the El Capitan DMG file that was downloaded. Open InstallMacOSX.pkg that is contained in the DMG with Suspicious Package.
    3. Using Suspicious Package, while examining the pkg, click on the "All Files" tab and look for the content Install OS X El Capitan.app. Right-click on that, and select "Export to..."
    4. Now use DiskMaker X to create a USB installer using that app you just exported.

This has a good chance of working, so long as what DiskMaker is doing isn't relying on something built into the OS that is exclusively found in 10.6 or later.

FYI, Store link for Lion. If you HAVE to buy a disk, you may as well get this direct from Apple. Some resellers are flipping used copies, and some are copies that came with a new Mac and ONLY have the drivers for that specific Mac.
    OS X Lion (10.7) - Apple

------
    ------

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 11 iOS 13, 1st Gen 12.9" iPad Pro iPadOS 13
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    It doesn't say that on the website linked to. In fact, it refers to being available at an Apple store and that it takes about 3 days to deliver by email. Nothing about the App Store at all. How did you get to that conclusion, Bob?
    On the linked page it states in the Product Information section:

What you receive: An email with a content code for the Mac App Store.

and

Content codes are usually delivered within 1 business day but may occasionally take longer. The use of content codes and redeemed software is subject to the terms and conditions of the Mac App Store (Legal - Apple Media Services - Apple) and the OS X Lion End User License Agreement (Legal - Software License Agreements - Apple). Some features require an Apple ID; terms apply. Some features require a compatible Internet service provider; fees may apply. Some Lion features have additional hardware requirements. These requirements may be found at System requirements for OS X Lion and Mac OS X v10.6 - Apple Support.

System Requirements

An Intel Core 2 Duo, i3, Core i5, Core i7 or Xeon processor

• Mac OS X Snow Leopard v10.6.6 up to v10.6.8 (recommended)
    • 7 GB free hard drive space
    • 2 GB RAM

-- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifeisabeach View Post
    If he can get a bootable installer made, then he's good to go. The problem is that the package that Apple provides as a download must be launched first from within OS X to make the actual installer app that DiskMaker uses, and that package has to be run under Snow Leopard or later. At least, I assume it does. Maybe the package will run under Lion and make the installer, but the installer is what won't run. If that's the case, it won't matter because he can make a bootable USB installer using DiskMaker.

ALTHOUGH! Hold the phone here! I just inspected the El Capitan package from Apple using the app Suspicious Package and extracted the installer app right out of it! I can't fully test it, but it appears to be valid. Link below. They have a version compatible with 10.5!
    Suspicious Package | Frequently Asked Questions

So here's what I would do.

1. Download El Capitan direct from Apple as directed. Download DiskMaker X 6. Download Suspicious Package 1.2
    2. Open the El Capitan DMG file that was downloaded. Open InstallMacOSX.pkg that is contained in the DMG with Suspicious Package.
    3. Using Suspicious Package, while examining the pkg, click on the "All Files" tab and look for the content Install OS X El Capitan.app. Right-click on that, and select "Export to..."
    4. Now use DiskMaker X to create a USB installer using that app you just exported.

This has a good chance of working, so long as what DiskMaker is doing isn't relying on something built into the OS that is exclusively found in 10.6 or later.

FYI, Store link for Lion. If you HAVE to buy a disk, you may as well get this direct from Apple. Some resellers are flipping used copies, and some are copies that came with a new Mac and ONLY have the drivers for that specific Mac.
    OS X Lion (10.7) - Apple
    I don't understand why you are working so hard trying to help the OP to bypass the normal upgrade process that Apple decided to implement.
    One could argue that's actually software piracy.
    I'm sure what you are proposing will work because that has come up in another thread here a while back.

I think the OP should just spend the $28.- and do it the way Apple has set it up.
    Good grief, we are talking $28.- not hundreds.

Thread Information