Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Out-of-date OS

Out-of-date OS
    Your Mac's Specs
    2008 Mac Pro 3,1 (2 x 2.8GHz Quad-core Xeon) / 24GB RAM / ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT / El Capitan 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by billinden View Post
    Thanks for your comments. I guess it’s my “forever” computer. I truly love it and hope it keeps on keeping on.
    That's just how I feel about my baby.

The video editing software is Davinci Resolve. I’m not stuck on it, but it was free and had great reviews.
    Hmmm... not seeing any download links for older versions of that (I believe DR 12 was OK for El Cap) but it might be worth shooting them an email and asking. It's a pretty hefty video suite, though: I would worry that your machine might struggle to run it well. How much RAM have you got in there? Are you maxed out (8GB) ?

I know it's nowhere near in the same league as DaVinci, but VideoPad worked well for me - and that was on Snow Leopard!

Glitch
    Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    It's a 24-inch 2009 iMac.
    There is no such thing as a late 2009 24-inch model so it has to be the early 2009 one.

PS: Hmmm... interesting that Billinden's last two posts only showed up after I posted this one even though these had a date stamp over an hour earlier.
    I think there may be a glitch in the system. I have another message stream for a separate problem I have on this forum. Yesterday the thread was closed for some unknown reason, but now it's open.

MBAmtloin
    There is a website called "Alternative to" that has links and reviews to older software.
    the site lists software comparable to a known program like Word or even Davinci.
    you can select the platform, cost option and other features to see the programs that will run on various computers.

I like ElCapitan which was an improvement to maverick and yosemite, but Mountain Lion will always be my fav!

Out-of-date OS
    Your Mac's Specs
    2008 Mac Pro 3,1 (2 x 2.8GHz Quad-core Xeon) / 24GB RAM / ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT / El Capitan 10.11.6
    My favourite video editing app of all was Hyperengine AV. It was soooooo intuitive and easy to use. Alas, it was PPC only and development ceased in 2006.

Out-of-date OS
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    The video editing software is Davinci Resolve. I’m not stuck on it, but it was free and had great reviews.

- - - Updated - - -

It’s the early 2009 model ��
    What kinds of video editing are you trying to do? That might help us figure out the best way forward?

Just as an example I've done some basic video trimming and conversion using just the version of QuickTime Player X.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Out-of-date OS
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    So it seems like the opinion is that you cannot upgrade. That being the case you should just keep in mind that you are running an “unsupported” OS which means no security updates from Apple. They only support the current and previous two macOS. This is not a dire situation but worth being aware of from the point of online security. This does not apply to all third party apps some of which will continue to receive their own updates for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums
    Don't be an April Fool: WORLD BACKUP DAY MARCH 31st

Out-of-date OS
    Thanks for your comments. I guess it’s my “forever” computer. I truly love it and hope it keeps on keeping on.

Ignoring the software that who's telling you that you must upgrade your OS, most software is still supported by macOS 10 El Capatan, and there are lots of options but you may have to break into the retirement budget and buy yourself some good software that you can use and enjoy in your retirement years.

PS: I'm retired and still using Mavericks MacOS 9 on my 2011 27 inch iMac that I enjoy every day.
    At least the days I'm not stuck in the hospital where I'm trying to cope using my old iPad 3. NOT my favorite mac toy.

Patrick
    --------

Out-of-date OS
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Mavericks MacOS 9 on my 2011 27 inch iMac
    Patrick, wasn't Mavericks an edition of OS X? Was there a MacOS 9 version called Mavericks?
    Jake

MBAmtloin
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    At least the days I'm not stuck in the hospital where I'm trying to cope using my old iPad 3. NOT my favorite mac toy.
    --------
    those thing can be useless, My iPad G5 is sitting in my bottom drawer waiting for a new usb lightning port, i think i should fix that for outdoor fire pit watching hockey this spring.

Out-of-date OS
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    Patrick, wasn't Mavericks an edition of OS X? Was there a MacOS 9 version called Mavericks?

Oops, pleas excuse my brainfart mistakes, and i'll just blame it on all the hospital meds I'm on in the hospital lately

Thanks,
    Patrick
    --------

Out-of-date OS
    Your Mac's Specs
    NP, Patrick, just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed something.

My brother has been in hospital for about two weeks (this time). He's battling leukemia and is now recovering from a stem cell transplant that has, over the last 5 months, replaced all of his blood with his daughter's. Amazing science, but the side effects are taking a toll. Eventually they should be able to balance all his drugs, but for now, it's up and down. So I know what you mean about meds making for fuzzy thinking.
    Jake

I would recommend you install high sierra.
    Wow, your are using your Mac for more than 10 years? It's a miracle.

Out-of-date OS
    Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by kimkim88 View Post
    A miracle? Naaah. Specific, well-made hardware and a stable UNIX-based OS designed to run that hardware. It's a recipe for success. That's why we like Macs.

My current machine is 12 years old, yet still powerful enough to run current software and very upgradeable hardware-wise. My previous machine - a PowerMac Sawtooth G4 - was 13 years old when I retired it, and that was only because of the move to Intel architecture!

MBAmtloin
    Quote Originally Posted by kimkim88 View Post
    10 years is not that long, these products are made to last longer. My Macbook air is going on 11 years soon and perform many graphic design tasks as good if not better than the newer models, the hardware is still great and the components inside and bezel-screens are the same as 2017 model. The only thing i upgraded to 2019 was get a better power supply made of better circuits and more solid states than apple's. I have ipod from 2007 that function and hold a great charge.

oh, welcome to our forums, i'm new here as well!
    Last edited by MBAmtloin; 02-09-2020 at 10:22 AM. Reason: nice

Out-of-date OS
    Your Mac's Specs
    There is a distinction between durability and usability. I have a 10 year old iMac running my home automation. Doesn't need fancy graphics, or high speed CPU to do that task. My wife also uses it to pull up recipes (The iMac is on a desk in the kitchen.) and to play videos when she is cooking. Works find for that. So, durable.

But usability is limited on that system. I would not try rendering video on it, or do anything that requires a lot of CPU/GPU work as the processor is very slow compared to more recent machines. Also, the system is limited in the OS, and I think it's out of the security update window, so it is stuck in time. And when I have to do anything with it, it is pokey slow at everything. Slow boot, slow opening applications, slow to respond. I certainly would not want to have that be my main machine, after working on a more modern system.

So, while a 10 year old machine is capable of running (durable), it may not be up to a heavy computing task (usable).
    Jake

Thread Information