unable to rename apple wireless keyboard

MacBook Pro Retina 15" Mid 2014

Apple Wireless Keyboard A1314

Hello, it seems there is a bug which prevents me from changing the name of my keyboard. I tried to change the name in bluetooth system preferences, right-click change name. the new name will be displayed in the preferences window. but in the bluetooth menu at the top of the screen there is still the old name displayed (Tastatur <-> moritz93ks Tastatur). When I close and reopen the bluetooth system preferences the old name is displayed again.

I already tried the option/shift -> bluetooth menu -> reset connected devices, removed all devices, reset bluetooth module options with no success.

Also did SMC and PRAM reset.

Thank you very much

Bildschirmfoto 2020-02-06 um 10.52.54.png
    Last edited by fruitsalad; 02-06-2020 at 07:38 AM.

unable to rename apple wireless keyboard
    Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Apple's instructions for how to rename it are found here, but it looks like you are doing it correctly. They do have a note that the device will reset to its default name if it is paired to more than one Mac, so perhaps that is what's going on here?

EDIT:
    The only other thing to try if that doesn't help is to delete the Bluetooth preference file, which can be found here:
    yourhomefolder Library Preferences com.apple.Bluetooth.plist

macOS will rebuild that file from scratch and you will need to re-pair all your devices, but that should fix it if nothing else will.
    Last edited by Lifeisabeach; 02-06-2020 at 03:35 PM.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | Find Any File | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | DetectX: Malware monitoring and removal | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Thank you for your answer! I tried to solve the problem by deleting the plist file also already. But the problem still persists.
    I also tried to rename the keyboard under windows 10 with the same outcome. After I changed the name and close the change dialog the old name appears again. Seems like an error in the keyboard itsself...

Thanks for your help!

Thread Information