Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Back-up: Time Machine versus Carbon Copy Cloner
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Is it possible to link a MacBook to a time machine external drive wirelessly?
    Yes, with a wireless NAS such as the Apple Time Capsule. (no longer being sold by Apple)

Here is what Apple recommends:

Backup disks you can use with Time Machine - Apple Support

By the way, you do not need to keep an external drive connected at all times to use Time Machine. Of course you would have to remember to attach it each time you do decide to run Time Machine.

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    Yep that would be the solution. Technically everyone in the house could use it if you don’t mind doing a bit of setting up.
    Don't be an April Fool: WORLD BACKUP DAY MARCH 31st

Thanks - looks like the AirPort Extreme Base Station is the way to go for me.

That way I can attach a separate drive and use a bigger one than what came with the Apple Time Capsule.

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    You can also set up a Synology Diskstation to serve as a Time Capsule. This may be a really great alternative since Apple is getting out of the biz.
    Guide to Synology NAS with Time Machine - NAS Compares

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | Find Any File | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | DetectX: Malware monitoring and removal | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Your Mac's Specs
    Lots of Macs
    KRS-Yes, Time Machine can be accessed remotely. My wife's MBAir (newer version) doesn't have an ethernet port (becoming a rarity all round) so she connects to the home NAS in the evening after work.

Your Mac's Specs
    What about alternatives to TM, CCC and SD?
    I was going to start a new post on this topic but as we can't at the moment and just to keep conversations rolling I thought I would just tag onto this post;

For a long time I have recommended bootable cloning software for macOS to my friends and readers in the form of Carbon Copy Cloner from Bombich and SuperDuper from ShirtPocket. I have also mentioned ChronoSync a few times, an off site cross platform app and backup service, well worth looking at if you want to sync/backup your work PC with your home device.

Recently after being very impressed with the function and simplicity of Instal Disk Creator from MacDaddy I decided to test out their flagship app, Mac Backup Guru. It has not yet completed the first bootable backup but I can say it's fast, very fast especially compared to Time Machine (TM).

There are a host of differences and advantages with this app over TM as I see it and quite a few over CCC and SD. I was wondering if anybody else had trialed this app and their opinion of it as compared to CCC and SD?

I will complete this first backup, check it to see if it is bootable and give the incremental snapshot function a run as well. I will get back with updates and replies as I go.
    At first glance it looks pretty good and it's significantly cheaper than the alternatives.

Your Mac's Specs
    For a long time we as a forum have recommended bootable cloning software to our readers in the form of Carbon Copy Cloner from Bombich and SuperDuper from ShirtPocket. I have also mentioned ChronoSync a few times, an off site cross platform app and backup service.<br>

Recently after being very impressed with the function and simplicity of Instal Disk Creator from MacDaddy decided to test out their flagship app, Mac Backup Guru. It has not yet completed the first bootable backup but I can say it's fast, very fast.<br>

There are a host of differences and advantages with this app over time machine as i see it and quite a few over CCC and SD. I was wondering if anybody else had trialed this app and thier opinion of it as compared to CCC and SD?<br>

I will complete this first backup, check it to see if it is bootable and give the incremental snapshot function a run as well. I will get back with updates and replies as I go. At first glance it looks pretty good and significantly cheaper than the alternatives.

Your Mac's Specs
    Well, a complete backup clone done. It tested as bootable, took about 5 min to boot to the login screen but fully functional . I have set incremental snapshot backups for daily. At the moment registration of the app costs $9.90 temporarily reduced from $29.00 so I have registered it.
    The UI is simple and easy to understand, much like all of MacDaddy's apps and a little question mark on the interface takes tou to an online manual with a full explanation of functions and options.
    There is also a user guide which is very useable found here; https://macdaddy.io/MacBackupGuruUserGuide.jpg
    Looks like a pretty good option at the moment.

Your Mac's Specs
    Why is that app better than CCC? It seems to me that it does the same thing but it costs less to register.

Looks like a pretty good option at the moment.

Hmmm...??? I find it a bit odd that with all the macOS file structure changes that his Mac Backup Guru minimum system requirements lists OS 9 Mavericks and above.

I'll stick with using Carbon Copy Cloner thanks, as I have paid enough for CCC over the years and it has worked well for all my uses.

Why Pay More for yet another application??? But maybe an option for those who haven't bought Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper etc.

PS:
    Some interesting features and some good reviews of the app:
    Mac Backup Guru for Mac - Free Download Version 6.7 | MacUpdate

- Patrick
    ======
    Last edited by pm-r; 02-23-2020 at 03:44 PM.

Your Mac's Specs
    I agree Patrick. Also, the app developer claims that it's the only backup app that works like Time Machine and can make bootable snapshots. I wonder where the author has been and if he understands all the options that CCC has? CCC can also make bootable snapshots and incremental backups. And if the SafetyNet is turned on, it acts like Time Machine.

Besides all that, the support that CCC offers is outstanding plus the documentation is great. According to reviews, that's not the case with that app.

Your Mac's Specs
    Great to hear your views and observations on MBG. I can't imagine anyone who has already invested time and money into CCC, or SD for that matter, wanting to change to this app.

Occasionally I like to nose around a bit to see if someone has produced a better product than the one I"m already using. I also like to revisit the ones I am using in the light of improvements or options I did not originally appreciate/understand eg.
    SuperDuper has two post-run options that Carbon Copy Cloner lacks: It can create a disk image of the destination volume (useful in an institutional setting where you may need to copy an image to multiple Macs), and it can install a package-based app on the destination.
    Then there is "Sandboxing" an option I now understand but don't really need.

I was also unaware that thanks to CCC's Recovery HD Support it allows the user to encrypt clone backups using FileVault, something we have been asked about in the past.

Currently CCC and SD seem to still be the top of the list for ease of use, support and reliability.
    MBG is a cheaper, smaller, perhaps slightly simpler cloning and file recovery app which, as I have proven, does support macOS Catalina and is bootable.
    MBG, like CCC and SD offers a free fully functional 30 day trial is easily uninstalled, (instructions on the home page).

I just looked at the SD website - seems to me that the latest version of SD is still completely free for a bootable back-up.
    Payment is only required if one wants scheduled backups or any of the other special features.

Your Mac's Specs
    Well I guess that would fulfill a lot of people's needs and it doesn't get any cheaper than free. In some cases a one off clone is all that's required for a clean install of an OS. I've recommended that in the past with the hope that users would see the advantages over TM and register their copy.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

Your Mac's Specs
    Nowadays, backups are a must. I'm still amazed at the number of folks who routinely use their computers (Macs and PCs) to store valuable data like photos, finances, etc, and never bother to backup. Both Apple and Microsoft to their credit include free backup software with their operating systems.

I guess we will let Rod be our pioneer in testing new apps. He seems to be on the leading edge; and that's to his credit.

Thread Information