Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Snow Leopard to El Capitan

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac and Macbook
    I think OWC has what I need. It looks simple to install also.
    OWC.png

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    One cannot upgrade that iMac 7.1 to Sierra or High Sierra - at least not without some 'hacking'
    El Capitan is the last macOS that is officially supported.

I run ElCapitan on a number of Macs and that OS is perfectly fine.

Increasing the RAM as planned is a good, probably necessary move.
    I would also try to free up some hard drive space.
    Whoops... my bad. Forgot to check on what it supports.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | Find Any File | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | DetectX: Malware monitoring and removal | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by nancyspeed View Post
    I think OWC has what I need. It looks simple to install also.
    OWC.png
    You should be able to run comfortably with 4 GB RAM if spending that much on 6 GB is a bit much for you.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | Find Any File | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | DetectX: Malware monitoring and removal | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac and Macbook
    The upgrade to El Capitan is only to transfer some accounting software to my old computer I don't use. The company just announced that they have decided not to make it Catalina compatible.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifeisabeach View Post
    You should be able to run comfortably with 4 GB RAM if spending that much on 6 GB is a bit much for you.

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by nancyspeed View Post
    The upgrade to El Capitan is only to transfer some accounting software to my old computer I don't use. The company just announced that they have decided not to make it Catalina compatible.
    Oh, so you have a newer Mac that you normally use? Have you considered just running an older version of macOS in a virtual machine just to use that accounting software? Apple allows running Lion and onwards in a virtual machine on Macs. VirtualBox is free, but I can tell you that I've never successfully gotten macOS to install in VirtualBox, so I went ahead and bought a license for VMWare Fusion and it works fantastic. I have Mojave and Windows 10 that I use in it on occasion. Parallels is very popular for vms, but that has gotten stupidly expensive.

------
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by Lifeisabeach View Post
    Oh, so you have a newer Mac that you normally use? Have you considered just running an older version of macOS in a virtual machine just to use that accounting software?
    Another option would be to also run macOS 10.12/13/14 on the new 2017 iMac you have assuming the only problem with the accounting software is that it is 32-bit and that it would run on Sierra or up to Mojave.
    So either partition your hard drive with Mojave and the 32-bit accounting software on a small partition or install the older macOS (Sierra - Mojave) on an external drive connected to the new 2017 iMac.
    Saves spending money to upgrade the RAM and having two iMacs kicking around unless you really want to keep the old one just for the accounting software.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac and Macbook
    Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    Another option would be to also run macOS 10.12/13/14 on the new 2017 iMac you have assuming the only problem with the accounting software is that it is 32-bit and that it would run on Sierra or up to Mojave.
    So either partition your hard drive with Mojave and the 32-bit accounting software on a small partition or install the older macOS (Sierra - Mojave) on an external drive connected to the new 2017 iMac.
    Saves spending money to upgrade the RAM and having two iMacs kicking around unless you really want to keep the old one just for the accounting software.
    Yes, that is very true about keeping the old one around. Right now getting $20 worth of memory is just the easier way out for me right now. I will prob come back to the partition option but don't feel knowledgeable enough to go there at this point.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac and Macbook
    Update--my 4 GB of memory came in from OWC today. Will install it tomorrow morning and hopefully get El Capitan up and running!

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac and Macbook
    Final update to my thread:

El Capitan up and running fine on my 2007 iMac (from Snow Leopard and 1 GB memory). Who knew the most difficult part was removing the memory slot panel. The screw has a keeper on it and I found it turns and turns and it does not actually come out. Made a tiny L on a paper clip and carefully slightly inserted it in one of the holes and off it popped.

Thanks for everyone who advised me.

Thread Information