Reprint from cups
    Iím trying to reprint something through CUPS but have no idea what Iím doing. I can find the print job in history but cannot get the Ďreprint jobí to show up. Looking for any advice. I am a complete beginner at this but really need to reprint something important that Iíve lost.

Reprint from cups
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.15.1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kklano View Post
    Iím trying to reprint something through CUPS but have no idea what Iím doing. I can find the print job in history but cannot get the Ďreprint jobí to show up. Looking for any advice. I am a complete beginner at this but really need to reprint something important that Iíve lost.
    First, hello and welcome to the forum! Second, you NEED to start from the beginning w/ a LOT more information. CUPS is a printing technology (quote first sentence from link) - SO, please provide more incite for us to even give an opinion: 1) What are you trying to print, e.g. a file; 2) Where is this 'print job' located, e.g. on a storage device, hard drive, or other; 3) What computer system and OS are you using; 4) What app/program are you trying to print from; 5) Where are you trying to print to, e.g. a cabled or wireless printer; and 6) What printer are you using or are there multiple choices? Still have a few more questions but as is obvious, you need to educate us if you want an informed response. Dave

CUPS (formerly an acronym for Common UNIX Printing System) is a modular printing system for Unix-like computer operating systems which allows a computer to act as a print server. A computer running CUPS is a host that can accept print jobs from client computers, process them, and send them to the appropriate printer.
    If you are helped, increase the reputation of the poster -

Reprint from cups
    Why can't you just print the document again as opposed to trying to find it in the history?
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Reprint from cups
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    I was wondering the same thing.

ďHard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.Ē
    Kevin Durant

Reprint from CUPS
    Quote Originally Posted by RadDave View Post
    First, hello and welcome to the forum! Second, you NEED to start from the beginning w/ a LOT more information. CUPS is a printing technology (quote first sentence from link) - SO, please provide more incite for us to even give an opinion: 1) What are you trying to print, e.g. a file; 2) Where is this 'print job' located, e.g. on a storage device, hard drive, or other; 3) What computer system and OS are you using; 4) What app/program are you trying to print from; 5) Where are you trying to print to, e.g. a cabled or wireless printer; and 6) What printer are you using or are there multiple choices? Still have a few more questions but as is obvious, you need to educate us if you want an informed response. Dave
    1) I'm trying to reprint a shipping label that was generated from the apple website in my browser. I cannot pull it back up through web browser history.
    2) Print job is on my hard drive
    3) I have a Mac book and am running Catalina 10.15.1
    4) Trying to reprint a shipping label that was generated through the apple webpage from Safari that will not pull up via history. When you go to the history of that page, it starts you back at the beginning to generate a new return shipping label
    5) Trying to print to my wireless HP printer
    6) Printer is HP OfficeJet Pro 8620

Thank you so much in advance.

Reprint from cups
    While I don't have a specific solution to your dilemma, for the future I would suggest that you default to saving things as PDF first (especially from websites where it might not be easy to get back to those pages) and then print the PDF later on. This has become my default mode of operation and has saved me from similar issues where I can't get back to a page again easily.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Reprint from cups
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.15.1
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    While I don't have a specific solution to your dilemma, for the future I would suggest that you default to saving things as PDF first (especially from websites where it might not be easy to get back to those pages) and then print the PDF later on. This has become my default mode of operation and has saved me from similar issues where I can't get back to a page again easily.
    1+ - same practice here, i.e. when I get online labels will first download to my computer's drive and then print from there - if an issue (like the last one was TOO big, so resized in Preview), then can be reprinted.

@ Kklano - thanks for the information - can't you simply ask for a new label? That has usually been an option for me, and probably printout a half dozen or so a year. Dave
    If you are helped, increase the reputation of the poster -

Reprint from cups
    If you had the CUPS Network printing setup you could find out more from here:
    Enabling CUPS Printer Interface for Mac – How can we help?

And to access your CUPS Printing log, it would normally be available from a browser window at this address:
    http://localhost:631/printers/

Then just check out various options that may be available

You're missing document may just possibly be there. Or at least a reference that it was printed. But like some of the others I'm not really sure I understand correctly what you are wanting to do.

There is a good chance if they document was not saved, the contents will not be available to you. Only the reference that it was printed with some details about the document possibly available only.

- Patrick
    ======

Reprint from cups

Your Mac's Specs
    late 2012 mini w/SSD
    CUPS can't reprint unless the app and the file that was printed are on the local computer. Web pages - no go.

Reprint from cups
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Catalina; iPhone 7 128gb; iPad Mini 2, 32gb
    Try a Spotlight search which may bring up your print job.
    Sue

If the shoe fits, buy it in every colour.

Reprint from cups
    Quote Originally Posted by badshoehabit View Post
    Try a Spotlight search which may bring up your print job.
    That wouldn't work here. As found by Patrick, there is a way of looking at the historical CUPS jobs. But reprinting them isn't possible since CUPS is just the conduit through which you connect to a printer to print a file. It doesn't retain the actual file's contents itself.

Larger (usually office/enterprise) printers can be configured to retain the documents they print (with associated security) so that you can reprint them directly from the printer. But that is not something that's usually part of the home printers capabilities.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Thread Information