Mojave or Catalina ?.
    Your Mac's Specs
    (iMac (21.5-inch, 2017)
    Mojave or Catalina ?.
    Looking at upgrading to Catalina but it says it only accepts 64 bit & when I looked on my computer it showed items for my camera were 32 bit ( Canon Digital IXUS 960 IS ) are there any downsides to staying with Mojave longterm or would you recommend upgrading to Catalina & putting the camera in the bin ?
    John S.

MBAmtloin
    i cast a vote for Mojave, the osx is very responsive!
    Last edited by MBAmtloin; 01-18-2020 at 08:39 PM.

Mojave or Catalina ?.
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 11 iOS 13, 1st Gen 12.9" iPad Pro iPadOS 13
    What model and year is your Mac? It looks like that camera model is only supported up to High Sierra, Digital IXUS 960 IS - Support - Download drivers, software and manuals - Canon UK.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Mojave or Catalina ?.
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Quote Originally Posted by johnboy676 View Post
    Looking at upgrading to Catalina but it says it only accepts 64 bit & when I looked on my computer it showed items for my camera were 32 bit ( Canon Digital IXUS 960 IS ) are there any downsides to staying with Mojave longterm or would you recommend upgrading to Catalina & putting the camera in the bin ?
    John S.
    I can't quite make out whether you are currently running macOS Mojave or intending to upgrade to Mojave versus macOS Catalina.

I took you to mean that you might have Mojave already when you said: "are there any downsides to staying with Mojave".

I ask the question because Mojave does not support that Canon Camera.

S1.png

BUT - it seems that the compatibility issue may relate to Canon editing software because it goes on to say:

S2.png

My reading of that is that you can still import picture from the Canon to the Mac, but editing will require another product. Luckily, Photos app fills the bill perfectly. You can import directly to Photos or use Image Capture (Finder > Applications > Image Capture) to do this.

Ian
    Ian

Mojave or Catalina ?.
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    My question to you is why do you even need the Canon software? You can transfer the digital photos to your computer via an external SD card reader or if your Mac already has a SD slot, do it that way. There really is no need to attach the camera to your Mac. You already have the Photos program on your Mac which you can use. You can also import the photos using "Image Capture" which will work with a SD card or reader.

You can of course remain with Mojave if you choose, but updating to Catalina should not cause any problems for your Photos or camera.

Looks like Ian types faster than I do.

Mojave or Catalina ?.
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    That'll be a first!

Ian
    Ian

Mojave or Catalina ?.
    Your Mac's Specs
    16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
    As has already been said, zero reason to get rid of the camera. Direct transfer of images from the SD Card, via Card Reader is quick, easy, and the way most of us do it.

Having said that, there is no way I would let compatibility with a 13 year old point and shoot camera drive my upgrade decisions.
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

Mojave or Catalina ?.
    Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    The downside to going into a holding pattern on any OS is that eventually browsers that work with it will not be supported. This opens up security risks. Eventually, the computer will die anyway. I'm planning to stick with Mojave until one of the above occurs.

Mojave or Catalina ?.
    Your Mac's Specs
    (iMac (21.5-inch, 2017)
    (iMac (21.5-inch, 2017)
    John S.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    What model and year is your Mac? It looks like that camera model is only supported up to High Sierra, Digital IXUS 960 IS - Support - Download drivers, software and manuals - Canon UK.
    (iMac (21.5-inch, 2017)
    John S.

Mojave or Catalina ?.
    Your Mac's Specs
    (iMac (21.5-inch, 2017)
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    My question to you is why do you even need the Canon software? You can transfer the digital photos to your computer via an external SD card reader or if your Mac already has a SD slot, do it that way. There really is no need to attach the camera to your Mac. You already have the Photos program on your Mac which you can use. You can also import the photos using "Image Capture" which will work with a SD card or reader.

You can of course remain with Mojave if you choose, but updating to Catalina should not cause any problems for your Photos or camera.

Hi, chscag,
    I have never used an external SD card reader, at the back of my computer it has a long slot that says ( SDXC Transfer Photos from your Camera's Memory Card, As you have probably already guessed I am not very bright when it comes to computing.
    John S.

Mojave or Catalina ?.
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    That iMac of yours should run Catalina quite well. Biggest thing is besides the Canon Software (since like others have said there are ways around it like the slot on your iMac), do you have any other software you need that has no 64 Bit version? If not I would go to Catalina if I owned your machine.

Also on the Canon, I have a older Canon and it works fine and opens Photos when I plug it into a USB port. I have never used Canon Software with it.
    Last edited by dtravis7; 01-19-2020 at 04:54 PM.

Mojave or Catalina ?.
    Your Mac's Specs
    (iMac (21.5-inch, 2017)
    Thank’s for all the advice guy’s much appreciated.
    John S.

Thread Information