Why is Mac OS Spell check so stupid sometimes?
    Your Mac's Specs
    yeahhhh...might need to look at my signature
    This has been driving me CCRRAAZZYYYYYYY lately!

Sometimes I type fast, know I made a mistake but, continue until I finish so I can go back to correct everything. My frustration deals with how it fails to give you the correct suggestion with some of the simplest words possible that have just one letter missing or an incorrect letter?

For example:
    My word was absorbent.
    I spelled it absorbemt.
    I saw the m go down instead of the n, but went through with the sentence.
    Spelling check underlined it in red, but could not tell me that the correct spelling requires a letter n.

Really? Is it truly that stupid to not be able to tell the correct suggestion for the word requires an N!? It's been happening more frequently lately, and driving me crazy because I'm not the kind of person that hunts and pecks letter by letter. I rarely look at the keyboard when typing, and its common to make a couple typos.

Here's another example that JUST happened above with "its". I forgot the apostrophe, and it underlined it in red. BUT IT DOESN'T KNOW THE RIGHT SUGGESTION!! Are you kidding me?????
    3.0GHz 10x Mac Pro 6.13.46GHz 6x Mac Pro 5.12.66GHz 4x Mac Pro 4.12.2GHz i7 15" MBP 15.12.3GHz i7 15" MBP 11.32.8GHz i7 13" MBP 11.12.66Ghz i7 15"MBP 6.22.4GHz 15" MBP 5.12.4GHz 13" MBP 7.1

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Something is wrong with your spell check. I just typed in absorbent and it correctly changed it to absorbent. Its is a valid word, indicating possessive, as in "Its thickness makes it fragile." It's is a contraction of it is. Spell check sees both as "correct." I have no idea why it highlighted it for you, it never does for me.

So, something is wrong with your spellchecker.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by iggibar View Post
    Really? Is it truly that stupid to not be able to tell the correct suggestion for the word requires an N!? It's been happening more frequently lately, and driving me crazy because I'm not the kind of person that hunts and pecks letter by letter. I rarely look at the keyboard when typing, and its common to make a couple typos.

Here's another example that JUST happened above with "its". I forgot the apostrophe, and it underlined it in red. BUT IT DOESN'T KNOW THE RIGHT SUGGESTION!! Are you kidding me?????
    You need to move out of Cleveland futher away from Lake Erie. That Lake Erie air is messing things up! LOL

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Your Mac's Specs
    That one, I think, is reasonable. Spell checkers accept that the first few letter are most likely correct. So for "stuph" it suggested stupid as soon as you had the "stup" in. I just typed it slowly and that is what I saw. It's not so much the spell checking, as it is the function to auto-complete the word as it is being typed. If you end a word, and don't cancel the auto-complete suggestion, it will swap them for you. I think the assumption is that unlike a secretary typing from a document, most of us are actually looking at the screen so we see the suggested auto-complete words and make a sensible choice. If that ain't working for you, System Preferences>Language & Region>Keyboard Preferences>Text and turn off spellcheck.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    Quote Originally Posted by iggibar View Post

Don't worry about that one. Most people don't know when to use it's or its anyway.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 11 iOS 13, 1st Gen 12.9" iPad Pro iPadOS 13
    By any chance, do you have Siri enabled? I wonder if having Siri disabled has anything to do with this issue?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Catalina; iPhone 7 128gb; iPad Mini 2, 32gb
    Quote Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
    Don't worry about that one. Most people don't know when to use it's or its anyway.
    Don't get me started! There's a tattoo parlour in my town with an outside sign proclaiming Tattoo's and a café called Coffee's and Cream.
    Sue

If the shoe fits, buy it in every colour.

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    Quote Originally Posted by badshoehabit View Post
    Don't get me started! There's a tattoo parlour in my town with an outside sign proclaiming Tattoo's and a café called Coffee's and Cream.
    ...two fine examples of using an ' to make a plural. Why do people do that?!

I won't get you started on using quotation marks for emphasis, such as a sign saying "Fresh" Fish. Hmmm. Do I want any of that?

Your Mac's Specs
    toMACsh, whenever I see quote marks like that I read it as "so called fresh fish." If it were really fresh fish, you wouldn't need the marks.
    Jake

Thread Information