imac keeps crashing, rebooting?
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 Retina 4k iMac. Mojave. 8GB RAM
    Blog Entries
    this last time, firefox was the only program running. it's done it like 4 times in the last few hours. I was using a program that kept crashing, now that program works. it's android file transfer... Im using it to get data back on the phone that was lost when I had to reset the phone. any ideas whats causing the reboots?

Your Mac's Specs
    Blog Entries
    zapped PRAM... crashed again. I have applecare so I called apple. I reinstalled the OS, new copy. I'll see if that helps... I deleted tech tool pro 12 and it's protection. if you recall I was using Tech tool a month or so ago and having issues... turns out Tech tool is not ready for the apple file system yet, so maybe that caused problems? I was getting some apple file system errors in disk utility, id like to restart and see if the errors are gone now that I reinstalled the OS.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Are you sure Tech Tool Pro is the problem? According to Micromat, version 12 is fully compatible with Catalina which means it understands APFS.

TechTool Pro 12

However, there have been several reports that the Android File Transfer app has caused problems with Catalina.

Your Mac's Specs
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Are you sure Tech Tool Pro is the problem? According to Micromat, version 12 is fully compatible with Catalina which means it understands APFS.

TechTool Pro 12

However, there have been several reports that the Android File Transfer app has caused problems with Catalina.

Tech tool pro has some features that wont work with apple file system. Im not sure why the tech tool makers say its compatible with Catalina. But it could be something else causing it right now I'm not sure. Android File Transfer has always been a little flaky so nothing new there I guess.
    Last edited by macgig; 01-03-2020 at 04:21 PM.

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by macgig View Post
    Tech tool pro has some features that wont work with apple file system. Im not sure why the tech tool makers say its compatible with Catalina. But it could be something else causing it right now I'm not sure. Android File Transfer has always been a little flaky so nothing new there I guess.
    The simplest thing to do is a process of elimination. Since you've removed TechTool Pro and reinstalled macOS, try using Android File Transfer as before. If it starts crashing again, that app "could" be the culprit, but not an absolute given (but would virtually eliminate TTP as being the problem before). Purge the app off your system and then use your Mac extensively with other tasks to see if it crashes or not. A review of the crash logs may provide some insight.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | Find Any File | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | DetectX: Malware monitoring and removal | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Your Mac's Specs
    Blog Entries
    the crashing and rebooting seems to have been fixed. keeping my fingers crossed. disk utility is showing cross check errors, and this: warning: found physical extent corruption but repairs are disabled.

why are repairs disabled? who or what disabled them? beats me... perhaps Im worrying over nothing... .I rebooted in diagnostic mode and it says "no issues found"
    Last edited by macgig; 01-04-2020 at 11:55 AM.

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by macgig View Post
    the crashing and rebooting seems to have been fixed. keeping my fingers crossed. disk utility is showing cross check errors, and this: warning: found physical extent corruption but repairs are disabled.

why are repairs disabled? who or what disabled them? beats me... perhaps Im worrying over nothing... .I rebooted in diagnostic mode and it says "no issues found"
    It sounds like maybe your drive is starting to go south. There's a link in my signature with tips on how to test it, though you have TechTool Pro available to you and that has tools to test your drive. I don't have an answer as to why repairs are disabled, but some quick googling turned up a discussion on Apple's support forums where someone was only able to resolve this by completely wiping the drive and reformatting it before restoring a backup.
    APFS, fsck_apfs and 'physical extent - Apple Community

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | Find Any File | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | DetectX: Malware monitoring and removal | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    +1 for what LIAB said. It does sound like the drive is dying.

You asked:
    One cannot repair some parts of the boot drive. To do that, you have to boot from something other than the drive with the errors, run First Aid on the drive with errors from there, then reboot to the repaired drive. Been that way for as long as I can remember.
    Jake

Thread Information