Adding MAIL account on Mojave

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac
    I have an iMac upgraded to Mojave 10.14.6. I am trying to add a new GMAIL account to MAIL, and the "setup" procedure ("Google requires completing authentication in Safari") seems not to work. Neither "System Preferences>Internet Accounts>Google>Open Safari", or "Mail>Add Account>Google>Open Safari" generates the authentication process.

A Google search generates several responses, among them "Cannot add Google Account to MacOS Mojave" and "How To Fix Mojave 10.14.4 ...".

Nothing at the first link ("Cannot add ...") worked for me, and I am a little afraid of the procedure at the second link ("How To Fix ...").

Before proceeding further, I thought it best to ask the advice of others here. Thank you.

Maybe try this, the last suggestion from:
    Catherine Tucek

This worked for me on 8 different Gmail accounts.
    Cannot add Google Account to MacOS Mojave - Gmail Help

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac
    Patrick, Thank you. I have tried the procedure at "Cannot add Google Account ..." several times, starting both at System Preferences>Internet Accounts and at Mail>Preferences>Accounts, and no luck. If necessary, I will try the solution at "How To Fix Mojave ..." (see my post above), but, as I wrote earlier, its complicated steps (to me) give me pause.

A Google search generates quite a few instances of others being unable to add Gmail accounts to Mail since updating to Mojave. That being so, I don't understand why Apple & Google aren't aware of the problem, and have not issued an update to Mojave (or Safari or wherever necessary) to fix it. In the unlikely event that they have not heard of it, this morning I posted a question at Apple Communities (discussions.apple.com). Hopefully that will generate something.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac
    Here is the only response (so far) to my question about this at discussions.apple.com: "Someone else had this exact same issue and I recommend that they use the web interface which worked for them." In that post, "web interface" is linked to Gmail.

I take that to mean, "get your gmail at gmail." A little disappointing.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac
    This morning, I raised my Mail issue at Apple Chat.

I explained my situation, stressing that a Google search yielded responses from others with the same issue, including at support.google.com ... which fact convinces me this isn't just a question of one careless user, me, having neglected to turn Mail's ON/OFF switch to the ON position. The response was "Are you able to add any other mail account to the device?"

When I replied I had no other email accounts, but offered to get a Yahoo account to test Mail, the response was, "update the device to the latest MacOS version 10.15.2."

I am surprised (disappointed) that Apple's suggested resolution of an issue with Mail, which is just one MacOS function, is to upgrade to a new MacOS, especially when that new OS is Catalina which, I have read, may (will?) generate various app, driver, etc issues.
    Last edited by stefanmaine; 01-02-2020 at 11:30 AM.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    You may be disappointed in Apple's answer to you, however, there have been ongoing issues with Mail and Mojave. A simple search of the Apple communities would show that. I realize that Catalina may not be for you for various reasons but it has for the most part resolved the Mail issues that existed with Mojave. Catalina will no longer run a 32 bit app so if you have any of those that you need, then stick with Mojave.

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    The other alternative to upgrading to Catalina would be to change to a third party email client.
    I abandoned Mail 6 years ago after ongoing issues which I will not bother to go into here. Having said that Mail now seems to work perfectly on macOS Catalina as it did on Mojave.
    Years back when I initially changed I moved to AirMail by Bloop. It is still an excellent email client for OS but due to their change to a subscription model for iOS I changed again recently to Spark.
    If you want to make the change to a non native email client with all the features of Mail and more you could do a lot worse.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    Don't be an April Fool: WORLD BACKUP DAY MARCH 31st

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    ...... there have been ongoing issues with Mail and Mojave. A simple search of the Apple communities would show that.
    oh, oh.....
    I was just planning to update everyone in the family from ElCapitan to Mojave, but Mail is a very basic functionality that everyone uses many times a day.
    Is there a list somewhere of the known Mail problems that still exist on the latest version of Mojave?
    I can't really afford to upgrade everyone and then they can't use some of the Mail capabilities.

BTW - reason that upgrade came up again is because I want to use AirPlay with a Vizio TV and it seems Vizio only supports AirPlay2 and I need a later macOS for that

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    Honestly although as stated I am not a habitual user of Mail I did not encounter any problems running it on Mojave and I'm currently running on startup in the background because Spam Sieve is not compatible with Spark (yet).
    This article covers a few user problems, most easily solved following the instructions but I did not encounter any of these. Mail Not Working After macOS Mojave Upgrade, How-To Fix - AppleToolBox
    Don't be an April Fool: WORLD BACKUP DAY MARCH 31st

Thanks Rod,

I saw that, but that article was last updated on September 17, 2019 and the latest Mojave upissue was December 10th, so I wonder if any of the Mail problems were fixed in the latest upissue.

I suppose I could try to upgrade everyone and if there is a problem, go back to ElCapitan - it would just be a lot of work for nothing.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac
    krs, My issue arose after upgrading from Sierra to Mojave. When I performed that upgrade, I already had one Gmail account at Mail; it works fine in Mojave. That is, it survived the upgrade without any issues I have observed. So, if your family installs their Gmail accounts into Mail before upgrading to Mojave, they should ... according to my experience ... be fine.

My problem arose after my upgrade to Mojave. Some months later, I needed to open a second Gmail account (for reasons unrelated to this issue). I have been unable to install that second Gmail account into Mail. I have tried several "workarounds" suggested by Google searches; none has worked for me (which is not to say they might not work for others).

chscag, Perhaps I should have said "surprised" rather than "disappointed." Having read and heard for years about Apple excellence (and being frequently reminded thereof by friends and colleagues over the decades I was a PC user through DOS and numerous Windows versions), I am "surprised" by Apple's reaction (non-reaction?) to this issue. The Apple chat representative said she had never heard of it, and as far as I have found there is no official mention of it anywhere at Apple.com. Is it possible no one at Apple is aware of it? I guess it's possible, but shouldn't that be surprising?

To be sure, having issued a new OS, Apple probably figures why bother fussing over Mojave's problem. But given that the upgrade to Catalina is more than a run-of-the-mill change for many Apple users (that is, 32 to 64), and so may necessitate their putting off the upgrade for a while, perhaps the situation is different, calling for a different response?

All of that said, I remain delighted at my shift from PC to MAC. This is not a big deal for me. Mostly, just a nuisance. But it surprised me.
    Last edited by stefanmaine; 01-03-2020 at 04:15 PM.

Thanks for the detailed explanation, stefanmaine.

I actually understood that from your initial posts.
    I was reacting more to Charlie's comment ".....there have been ongoing issues with Mail and Mojave." which sounded to me as if there are several issues wrt Apple Mail and Mojave.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac
    ... as if there are several issues wrt Apple Mail and Mojave.
    If there are, I have not encountered them, except, of course, wrt (thanks for introducing the acronym, which I had to look up on Google; learn something new every day) adding an email account to Mail after upgrading. As suggested by Apple at discussions.apple.com, I now access that second gmail account at gmail.com.

Tangentially, I will say that the comment a few posts ago by chscag (to whom I am grateful for help on other issues) has got me thinking about upgrading to Catalina. I have been using Quicken for many, many years, but upgrading to Catalina would require a "subscription" version of Quicken which I resist. So now I am thinking about switching to Checkbook Pro. Also, I have used Microsoft Word since forever -- well, first I used WordStar, then Word Perfect, then Word. But Word too is now a subscription service, so I am looking at OpenOffice and LibreOffice. Fortunately, all this cranial activity is good for an old man (which I am) who wants to avoid (which I do) alzheimers.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    So now I am thinking about switching to Checkbook Pro.
    Good choice, however, it depends on how you have been using Quicken. I've been using the Splasm Checkbook program since 2008 and am very pleased with it. Being retired, I no longer need a program to figure out my finances. Very simple living on fixed income.

As for Microsoft Word, you can still purchase the stand alone (non subscription version) of Word 2016 or Word 2019, both programs are 64 bit and will work with Catalina.

Or, take a look at SoftMaker Free Office which is compatible with Microsoft Word file formats.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac
    It seems upgrading to Catalina will not mean having to switch to Checkbook.

I ran Apple>About This Mac>System Report>Software>Applications, and Quicken 2017, which is what I have, passes the 64-bit test with a "Yes". In fact, the only two apps I use that fail (that is, display a "No") are Word and Excel, and SoftMaker Free Office resolves that problem.

Speaking of which, I like SoftMaker's text and spreadsheet functions a lot. Thank you, chscag, for suggesting it. Right off the bat, I was delighted to see the TaskBar short-cut icons. I couldn't figure out how to generate text and spreadsheet Task Bar icons for either OpenOffice or LibreOffice. In both of those, on a Mac at least, it seems you have to open the full app, and then select either text or spreadsheet. A minor nuisance, to be sure, but still ...

(I had included here a question about upgrading to Catalina. I realized later that it probably does not belong in this thread, but instead should be posted anew in a thread of its own, specifically addressed to upgrading. So, there is now empty space below.)
    Last edited by stefanmaine; 01-06-2020 at 10:17 AM.

Thread Information