Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    How can I get rid of the Flash player?
    Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Take a look at your extensions for Safari. Some are known to be vectors for adware. Even some ad blockers are sketchy and serve up ads.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | Find Any File | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | DetectX: Malware monitoring and removal | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    @Mike

You said:
    I also did a search on my system for anything named Flash and removed anything that looked like it might be relevant. Here is a screen shot of the message I am getting:

Dropbox - FlashMessage.jpg - Simplify your life

When I look at your image and read the the incredibly small print at the bottom with a powerful glass, it says things like " this is a modified installer" and "a third party product" - words to that effect. In fact trying to read it all, I'm totally convinced that this has nothing to do with Adobe.

That statement will come as no surprise to you and certainly not to my many senior friends who have already commented on this thread.

Either this 'Ad" is coming to you on the back of some site you visit; or from some tiny piece of software previously downloaded to your Mac which is initiating this Ad every time you go online. Obviously just my opinion If I'm right, then searching for "Flash" on your system will not detect it because it will have another "name".

Can you just remind us what, if any, Ad Blockers & Tracking blockers you have on your system please?

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 11 iOS 13, 1st Gen 12.9" iPad Pro iPadOS 13
    Then you may want to add one or more content blockers to your browser(s).

uBlock
    AdBlock
    AdGuard
    Ghostery

Plenty more to choose from.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    That should not happen. Check to see if you have any settings in your browser to stop that. In Safari, on the General tab, make sure that "Open 'safe' files..." is NOT checked. They might be loading something in an image file (like the "warning" itself).
    That only affects "opening" files, not downloading them.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    2018 MacBook Pro, 15", 32GB RAM, Mojave
    Quote Originally Posted by Lifeisabeach View Post
    Take a look at your extensions for Safari. Some are known to be vectors for adware. Even some ad blockers are sketchy and serve up ads.
    OK, but what am I looking for? When I look at the extensions I see a ton of them but I have no idea which are valid and which may not be valid.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by IWT View Post
    @Mike

You said:

When I look at your image and read the the incredibly small print at the bottom with a powerful glass, it says things like " this is a modified installer" and "a third party product" - words to that effect. In fact trying to read it all, I'm totally convinced that this has nothing to do with Adobe.

That statement will come as no surprise to you and certainly not to my many senior friends who have already commented on this thread.

Either this 'Ad" is coming to you on the back of some site you visit; or from some tiny piece of software previously downloaded to your Mac which is initiating this Ad every time you go online. Obviously just my opinion If I'm right, then searching for "Flash" on your system will not detect it because it will have another "name".

Can you just remind us what, if any, Ad Blockers & Tracking blockers you have on your system please?

Ian
    Yes. I commented on that earlier in this thread. I have searched through my machine and am convinced that Flash is gone so searching for it would not help and any malware pretending to be Flash would probably have a different name.

I use MalwareBytes and I have DetectX on my system. Neither of them find anything but I am not sure if they are particularly good as Ad Blockers. I am pretty close to just doing a factory reset and rebuilding my Mac. I got used to doing that when I had a PC and used to do it every year or so but I have never had to do it before on a Mac so this is a surprise for me.

I guess those who spend their time infecting other people's machines have finally gotten around to the Mac.

Your Mac's Specs
    Turn them all off. Then as you learn what they do, turn them on if they are beneficial to you. Or uninstall the ones you are sure you don't want. Also, read my post #18.
    -- Bob --

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    When I look at the extensions I see a ton of them
    I suspect that you are looking at the "wrong" extensions Did you Open Safari, then Click on the Safari Icon in the top menu bar and choose "Safari Extensions"?

What you should be doing is Opening Safari > then going to "Safari Preferences" > then clicking on Extensions - as in the screenshot below.

Screenshot 2019-12-20 at 2.33.05 pm?.png

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by IWT View Post
    I suspect that you are looking at the "wrong" extensions Did you Open Safari, then Click on the Safari Icon in the top menu bar and choose "Safari Extensions"?

What you should be doing is Opening Safari > then going to "Safari Preferences" > then clicking on Extensions - as in the screenshot below.

Screenshot 2019-12-20 at 2.33.05 pm?.png

Ian
    I did both. The first took me to the App Store to GET or BUY extensions. When I checked the second all I found were 2 extensions, both used by Parallels, which I have on my system. Nothing else to indicate that some extension is doing this.

I will install some ad blockers and see if that fixes the issue but I am more and more inclined to assume that if my system is compromised in one way (generating all of these "Flash" messages) then perhaps it is compromised as well in a more serious way, and the only way I know to fix that is to start over. I just am not anxious to go through all of that trouble.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    Turn them all off. Then as you learn what they do, turn them on if they are beneficial to you. Or uninstall the ones you are sure you don't want. Also, read my post #18.

It turns out there are only 2 and they are both Parallels extensions so they should be valid.

Your Mac's Specs
    It turns out there are only 2 and they are both Parallels extensions so they should be valid.
    Then you will want to keep those.
    Last edited by ferrarr; 12-20-2019 at 10:52 AM. Reason: correct errors
    -- Bob --

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    That only affects "opening" files, not downloading them.
    Yes, but image files at a website are automatically downloaded as part of the site. What that check is designed to do is to prevent the launch of malware that can be embedded in the image file that might be considered "Safe" by some folks. And one thing that might be just that malware is a download launch to bring a more malevolent package down automatically. So I have that box not checked to prevent that sort of thing.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    I took the advice and installed an ad blocker. The one I got came from the App Store (AdBlock Pro for Safari) and it seems to have fixed the issue. I will have to do more checking to make sure it really stopped the downloads but so far, so good.

Thanks for the advice.

I had a similar problem with popup adds. they are more than likely Java scripts than Flash. When on the website that you are having this problem look at the address bar at the top when it occurs. This will show you the address of the offending add. Copy the address of the add and report it to the Website admins. If you're Router allowed you to block websites block this address there.
    KenK

Your Mac's Specs
    Mini on steroids; 2011 iMac, 2012 MB Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeFromMesa View Post
    When I look at the extensions I see a ton of them but I have no idea which are valid and which may not be valid.
    You've installed extensions without knowing what they are and what they do?
    You can probably solve this by deleting all of them, and seeing if a clean Safari does the trick. (You'll be losing the extensions anyhow if you re-install the OS, so why not try this first?)

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by jpdemers View Post
    You've installed extensions without knowing what they are and what they do?
    You can probably solve this by deleting all of them, and seeing if a clean Safari does the trick. (You'll be losing the extensions anyhow if you re-install the OS, so why not try this first?)
    This was clarified in followup replies. He was confused and was looking at a list of extensions in the App Store that were available to download. The only actual extensions in use were a pair for Parallels Desktop.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | Find Any File | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | DetectX: Malware monitoring and removal | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Thread Information