Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Time Machine does NOT show my backups !!
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Air (early 2015) MacOS Catalina (December 14/19.
    I have over a year's worth of Time Machine backups on my WD My Passport for Mac external HD and when I access/open the Time Machine icon on my Menu Bar it reveals: No backups / No latest backup !!

Any suggestions as to how to resolve?

Thanks.
    To Golf or not to Golf?; What a stupid question!!

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Your Time Machine backups are not compatible with Catalina. You need to make some changes.

Time Machine and backing up in Catalina – The Eclectic Light Company

That's a good place to start but there are also other links you can read through in order to get your older backups working again.

Let us know.

Your Mac's Specs
    Hi chscag!!

Thanks for your response and input!! To clarify, I have just today (about an hour ago!!) upgraded my MacBook Air to macOS Catalina!! The backups I was referring to were those created for/on my system with macOS High Sierra.

I initiated a TM backup of the "new" system once my installation of Catalina was completed - obviously BEFORE I received your reply!! It has been working/creating the Catalina backup now for about 30 minutes.
    Is there going to be an issue if I continue with the present TM backup creation??

Any and all guidance will be much appreciated!

Your Mac's Specs
    Is there going to be an issue if I continue with the present TM backup creation??
    No, you should be okay from here on. As long as everything is working to your satisfaction with Catalina, just press on.

One bit of advice though... Although Time Machine is free it's not always the best solution for recovery. We recommend also using cloning software such as Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper.

Your Mac's Specs
    Thanks for everything chscag!!
    Will advise as to how the TM maiden transpired and any attendant issues found, if any!!

Have a good one today and thanks again for your input and direction!!

Your Mac's Specs
    Good Morning, chscag!!

So! Have completed my first two TM backups under my newly upgraded macOS Catalina!
    I had made no adjustments/edits/reconfigurations prior to doing so - these two new b/u's were in sequence/following all the previously created backups under macOS High Sierra! Should I have done anything to prepare for the first two Catalina TM's?
    A few observations for your assessment and comment: The latest backup info in TM is "greyed out"; when I open the Catalina TM's and access through the chain I notice that, for instance, the Applications folder contained in the backup file does NOT include all my applications but when accessing the Applications folder in FINDER they ALL appear including the new additions from the Catalina upgrade!!
    Query: would it be prudent/worthwhile or is it possible to rename and archive all the previous TM's created under macOS High Sierra as a precautionary measure? In the same vein, would creating a partition in my WD My Passport for Mac solely for Catalina TM's be advisable/worthwhile?
    Finally, is there a safe and successful method to VERIFY/VALIDATE my new Catalina TM's??

As always, your input is very much appreciated!!

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Do not rename, change, alter or retrieve files from TM through Finder. What you see in Finder is NOT what is there in TM. TM creates a backup database, then shows to Finder what is in the database. But what Finder sees are just symbolic links to the actual files, as they are stored in the database in other places (That is a much simplified description of what TM is doing. Try this if you want to see more: Time Machine - Frequently Asked Questions . That link is to an archive of the late James Pond's great articles from Pondini.org.)

To validate your TM backups, just open time machine and go back in time to see that the links work and that you can see the state of the system on that previous date. If the database has integrity, you should be able to go back to the beginning of backups. Other than that, I don't think you can validate a backup except by restoring from it. On the other hand, I've not seen a backup to a directly connected drive fail. Network backups seem to be more fragile as they are converted to sparseimage format, but TM does a validation of network drive backups periodically to keep them intact. Verify your backup disk on Mac - Apple Support
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    @jmac0408:

Jake has answered your questions. Please be careful with any Time Machine backup and like Jake advised, do not use the Finder or any other file manager to access your backups. Only do so thru the Time Machine application.

Your Mac's Specs
    Hey MacInWin!

Very much appreciate the response and commentary!! Will review and assess the various links/articles you have included!!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks,chscag !! Always appreciated.

Forgot to ask you both: Do you have a preference for paid backup solutions such as Carbon Copy Clone and/or Super Duper? Are either or both worth the investment?

Thanks again to you both!
    Last edited by jmac0408; 12-17-2019 at 05:36 PM.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    The Pondini stuff is really great. Explains how TM works (as of the time of Pond's death, anyway). There have been some changes in the internals of TM, but essentially it works just as he explained. The link is to the FAQ, but the Home page has even more on how it actually works.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    Forgot to ask you both: Do you have a preference for paid backup solutions such as Carbon Copy Cloner and/or Super Duper?
    I've been using Carbon Copy Cloner from the days of 10.5.X (Leopard) when it was pure shareware. I can't tell you how many times it has save me from total disaster. CCC is a bit more expensive than SuperDuper but well worth the extra cost. The developer of CCC has excellent customer service and a great informative web site.

The above is only my personal opinion. There are other folks in our forums who use SuperDuper and would likely recommend that to you. By the way, both apps have fully functional trial versions.

Your Mac's Specs
    Thanks for that, chscag!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, Jake (MacInWin):

Will be reviewing all in the near future.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.15.1
    Guys - Time Machine (TM) questions in view of the OP's inquiry(s) and the link provided early in the thread. First, I have upgraded all 3 of my Macs to Catalina - has been a couple of months and have made 3-4 TM backups to each computer - their appearance has certainly changed - below a combo pic from my MBAir of the icon made w/ Mojave and the icons today w/ Catalina - I assume that my recent backups are fine (these are Macs used in retirement so will not have a need to go back further than my Catalina backups).

Second, mention might be made of the TMUTIL utility in the Terminal - I've looked at the 'manual' in the past and today - have only used this command to check the number of 'snapshots' on my computers but seems like a LOT of choices - anyone have comments on using this feature?

Finally, there is a TimeMachineEditor App that has been mentioned in the forum before (2nd pic) - I've never used the program, so no comments - the app is shareware and I assume uses the terminal commands of the manual mentioned previously - worth a look for those who might more control over the timings/features on TM? I don't know, just bringing up some possibilities. Thanks all for any input. Dave
    TM1.png
    TM2.png
    Last edited by RadDave; 12-17-2019 at 11:08 PM.
    If you are helped, increase the reputation of the poster -

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Just my two cents on choosing SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner:

I've used both programs and either one seems to get the job well. I settled on Carbon Copy Coner because of its ability to also clone the recovery partition. At the time Super Duper did not do that though I'm not sure if that's still true. I think the developer chose to take the approach that if one had a working clone the recovery partition becomes something of a moot point.

Both programs have free versions available for download and you can try them to get a look at the interface. Both programs are pretty easy to use so choose the interface that's most intuitive for you. Any program that you find difficult to use is a program that you won't use.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Thread Information