Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My god icloud seems to be very dangerous i will be wary
    about useing it deleting files on my mb air wow.

Blundering around in the iCloud (!)
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    @jtkeep:

iCloud is not dangerous and is actually very useful for many things - like finding a lost iPhone, etc.

But you do need to understand how to use it. Apple has a myriad of support documents and KB articles on iCloud. Look them up and read thru them.

chscag
    I agree you should read about useing icloud but i still
    find it confusing in use, and i still dont think it should
    in anyway auto delete files on a pc, that should be up
    to the user and only the user.
    Its ok to have your files available on icloud, but just
    think if you do a time capsule back up and it auto deleted
    all your files on your pc at the same time.

Well, the upload has finished. It took ages because I deliberately disconnected from the internet for long periods.

The Finder now shows:

iCloud Drive

and below this I see

Desktop
    Documents

Everything is accessible: new documents are uploaded at once when WIFI is on, and when it's off I see "waiting to upload".

So everything is now in iCloud Drive.

On the other hand, I'm surprised that even when the WIFI is off, I am still able to see and edit older documents. When I edit, the changes are saved to the document as far as the Mac is concerned. So are my documents really only in iCloud? I ask this because someone said in one of the posts: "You will see links that look like the file is there, but the actual file won't be there. You won't know that until you try to open the document and it can't be opened unless you are on the net."

So perhaps my initial concern (that documents would not be accessible when there is no internet connection) is unfounded.

On the above basis, I'm thinking that there's no need to download stuff back to the MPB.

Thanks in advance for comments.

M

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Mikeo1938, according to this article from Apple: Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

the files are MOVED to iCloud, not copied. And in the section on how to turn off the cloud, in the same article, it says:
    If you turn off iCloud Drive or sign out of iCloud, you have the option to keep a local copy of your files that are in iCloud Drive. Whether you decide to keep a local copy or not, a new Desktop and Documents folder is created in your home folder. If you choose to keep a local copy, your files in iCloud Drive are copied to a folder called iCloud Drive (Archive) in your home folder. Then you have the option to move any files that were in your iCloud Desktop and Documents, back to your new local Desktop and Documents.
    Reading between the lines, if you sign out of iCloud a NEW Documents folder is created and you can download the Archived documents to copy them to the new folder. That statement implies very strongly that if you do NOT follow the steps, you don't get access to the documents in the Cloud.

And that's the way it has been described as happening to a couple of folks who turned it on, let it run and then turned it off: "Hey, where did my documents go?"

EDIT: One more thing. Apple "sells" this function as storage saving for the user. The only way to "save" storage is to not have something there that used to be there. So it would seem that the files are, in fact, not on your local drive. In that same article I referenced above, it says:
    If you need more space on your device, iCloud Drive can help. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences. Click Apple ID, then click iCloud. On macOS Mojave or earlier, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click iCloud. Turn on Optimize Mac Storage. Then your Mac keeps all of your recent files on your computer, but keeps your older ones only in iCloud, ready for you to download when you need them again.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by jtkeep View Post
    chscag
    I agree you should read about useing icloud but i still
    find it confusing in use, and i still dont think it should
    in anyway auto delete files on a pc, that should be up
    to the user and only the user.
    Its ok to have your files available on icloud, but just
    think if you do a time capsule back up and it auto deleted
    all your files on your pc at the same time.
    jtkeep, I think you have misunderstood what the posts have said. Nothing was said about auto deleting files without the permission of the user. The issue is that unless you understand exactly how it works and how using the iCloud Drive storage system is set up it is entirely possible for an end user to delete files unwittingly. It is the end user who does the deleting, or authorizes the deleting, by not knowing exactly the consequences of decisions made. Is it confusing? Yes! But it doesn't do anything the user doesn't authorize, even if the user doesn't know what they are doing. If you don't understand what you are doing, don't do it.

It's a bit like having a car and not reading the driver's guide. You put oil in the engine, but you put it in the radiator instead of the crankcase because you took off the wrong cap. It's not the manufacturer's fault you didn't read the manual, and you can't complain the "They should not have let me destroy the engine." It is up to the user to make informed decisions based on the documentation from the manufacturer.
    Jake

I do find icloud confusing i have my photos in the cloud
    that seems to be ok, but have never been able to get it
    to save my emails, so i took mails off icloud.
    I usually try different apps software if it is easy to use
    and does the job ok, but if you need to be a programmer
    to use it then i get rid of it, and there are sooooo many
    bad apps and software out there.
    Just look at Android tv software so so bad, android in
    general is not user friendly.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 21.5" 3.1GHz Core i7 16GB RAM Catalina. iPad Air. iPhone 6S. iPod nano.
    I think there would be less of a problem if Apple hadn't decided to have BOTH iCloud and iCloud Drive. The difference is significant but not always understood.

I don't use iCloud Drive after earlier forays into it resulted in tears. If I need to have files in the cloud I use OneDrive
    Peter - I used to be paranoid but now I just worry all the time

Thanks for the replies ... just arrived home.

The comment from 'pine man' has knocked me for six!
    I didn't know there was 'iCloud Drive' and 'iCloud' ... so there are two of them!
    Well, for better or for worse I'm with the former but as a matter of interest could I have used the latter and would this have been simpler?
    What I wanted was a cloud back-up that would sync with my Mac ... and it seems (touch wood) that this has been achieved.

In System Preferences I see (in the 3rd row down) 'iCloud' and not 'iCloud Drive'. But in Finder, I see 'iCloud Drive'. I have not touched the iCloud icon in System Preferences since I started this sortie into the unknown. But what would I see and what would happen if I were now to double-click on that 'iCloud' in System Preferences?

I take on board the warning about "auto deleting files without the permission of the user" ... I certainly won't do that.

M

Your Mac's Specs
    I'm on Catalina and the prompts have changed, but if you go to System Preferences/iCloud you will have a menu of things that can be stored in iCloud. One of the options is"iCloud Drive." But there are other things that can be stored in iCloud other than the iCloud Drive. Under iCloud Drive, the Options box opens up a menu of what you can store in iCloud Drive, including an option for Desktop & Documents Folders. There is an additional option with a checkbox that offers, "Optimize Mac Storage - The full contents of iCloud Drive will be stored on this Mac if you have enough space. Older Documents will be stored only in iCloud when space is needed." With that checked, I think that your documents will be on the local drive IF you have space. I don't know what the criteria is for when the system makes the call NOT to store locally. Bottom line, be careful with it. Here are some screenshots from Mojave:
    First is the System Preferences/iCloud menu, showing the options for what to store in iCloud, including the iCloud Drive:

Screen Shot 2019-12-20 at 1.35.51 PM.png

Second is the iCloud Drive menu options, showing Documents & Desktop Folders, plus other things on iCloud Drive that can be store in iCloud Drive. Below the big box is the option to store things on the local drive, IF there is room.

Screen Shot 2019-12-20 at 1.36.33 PM.png

Hope that helps.
    Jake

A worrisome time but iCloud Drive seems to be working fine on my MPB. All my documents are intact. Files are uploading to iCloud. I can move them up and down to the desktop and into folders. The files are synching to iCloud.

Many thanks to everyone for the help via this forum and also to a Mac-knowledgeable friend who chipped in direct via e-mail. The explanation from 'MacInWin' will help when I try to put stuff apart from Word documents up into iCloud

The only thing that I still don't quite get is that contrary to what I had expected, all the files are still available on the MPB even when the internet is disconnected. So they appear to be both in iCloud and also on the MPB itself. I was expecting them to vanish from the MPB when the upload had finished.

The above situation suits me fine but is this normal?

Renewed thanks and Happy Christmas.

M

Thread Information