Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Unhappy Help I deleted my hard drive (Macbook Pro Mid-2012)
    Hi all,

I am trying to upgrade my Mid-2012 Macbook Pro so I started by erasing my hard drive.

I am a rookie so I messed up and didn't realize it would delete my OS also. I was on Mojave.
    Now, when I do CMD+R at startup, it only offers for me to reinstall LION.

Does anyone have any advice?
    I really would like to be on Mojave because it is much better..., right?

I'm planning on putting in a new battery, a Samsung 860 EVO SSD, and 2x8GB of Corsair RAM after that.

Does anyone have any good advice they can offer in this situation? Thanks

Help I deleted my hard drive (Macbook Pro Mid-2012)
    Why don't you just install Lion and when that is done upgrade to Mojave.

I think that is the safest way

Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    Why don't you just install Lion and when that is done upgrade to Mojave.

I think that is the safest way
    i read somewhere that this might not be possible but i very well could have been misled. do you really think this is best route? how would i go about downloading mojave? do i just google mojave OS download or something? i am a noob.
    thanks for your reply.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.15.1
    Quote Originally Posted by corymacs View Post
    i gladly can, which one should i delete? I was not sure the best area to post this topic in. not trying to disturb. thanks.
    Hi Cory..... - welcome to the forum! As already stated, one of the first 'rules of thumb' in forums is to not post the same message in multiple places - this is unfair to posters replying to one message and not seeing the other responders in the alternate post - the conversation is disrupted and the suggestions often confusing - hopefully one of our mods/admins will come along and simply combined your two threads and place in an appropriate forum - then there should be some useful responses - good luck. Dave
    If you are helped, increase the reputation of the poster -

Quote Originally Posted by RadDave View Post
    Hi Cory..... - welcome to the forum! As already stated, one of the first 'rules of thumb' in forums is to not post the same message in multiple places - this is unfair to posters replying to one message and not seeing the other responders in the alternate post - the conversation is disrupted and the suggestions often confusing - hopefully one of our mods/admins will come along and simply combined your two threads and place in an appropriate forum - then there should be some useful responses - good luck. Dave
    hi thanks for your reply. i apologize. did not mean to disrupt. is there any way for me as a user to combine them? thanks

i read somewhere that this might not be possible but i very well could have been misled. do you really think this is best route? how would i go about downloading mojave? do i just google mojave OS download or something? i am a noob.
    thanks for your reply.
    Lion is what your Mac shipped with originally - so that is the OS Apple will offer automatically.

Once that is installed, you can check via he App store on your Mac (with Lion installed) which newer OSs are offered.
    I assume you have an Appe ID

If the App store offers Catalina (one OS past Mojave), remember that Catalina won't support any 32-bit apps

But download and install Lion first and see what is offered via the App store.
    s

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    No, but a Mod will come along sometime and fix it. I second the suggestion to install Lion, then upgrade from there to what you want. Get Lion on it first, we can sort out the Mojave installer later. Come back when Lion is there.
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    No, but a Mod will come along sometime and fix it. I second the suggestion to install Lion, then upgrade from there to what you want. Get Lion on it first, we can sort out the Mojave installer later. Come back when Lion is there.
    thank you

hi guys so a little update:

after much difficulty, i now am seeing the option to install CATALINA. i have two options of where to install it... should i install it to BOOTCAMP disk or to Macintosh HD disk?

thank you very much

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    What Bootcamp? I thought you said you erased the hard drive? Bootcamp is used to install a dual boot Windows system in a separate partition. If you had Windows on the old drive and didn't remove it from your macOS system, you will have to restart by completely reformatting and erasing the drive to get that space back. The new system won't know about that bootcamp installation and won't be able to control it as it would if it had been the system that installed it.

How about we start over. What Mac do you have? What did it have on it before you erased it? What did you erase? What did you NOT erase?
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    What Bootcamp? I thought you said you erased the hard drive? Bootcamp is used to install a dual boot Windows system in a separate partition. If you had Windows on the old drive and didn't remove it from your macOS system, you will have to restart by completely reformatting and erasing the drive to get that space back. The new system won't know about that bootcamp installation and won't be able to control it as it would if it had been the system that installed it.

How about we start over. What Mac do you have? What did it have on it before you erased it? What did you erase? What did you NOT erase?
    yes i did erase my main hard drive. i didn't have windows OS on anything. did i accidentally say that..?

ok let's start over. thanks by the way for your reply. i have a mid-2012 macbook pro. i had mojave installed on it before i erased it (my personal data/documents is not a concern). i erased the hard drive, which erased my OS also of course. i didn't touch the other disks/drives at all.
    i am currently in the process of hopefully successfully installing catalina. hoping this works!

hi guys so a little update:

after much difficulty, i now am seeing the option to install CATALINA. i have two options of where to install it... should i install it to BOOTCAMP disk or to Macintosh HD disk?

thank you very much
    I think it's confusing that you mentioned a "Bootcamp" disk.
    Is that actually a completely different disk like a separate external drive or just a partition on the internal MacBookPro drive.

In any case, you want to install Catalina on the Macintosh HD drive.
    But maybe before that, could you explain a bit better what that "Bootcamp" disk is.
    Bootcamp is just an Apple application that allows one to install certain flavours of Windows on a Mac

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Hi corrymacs - welcome to our family forum

I am a rookie
    I am trying to upgrade my Mid-2012 Macbook Pro
    I was on Mojave.
    I really would like to be on Mojave because it is much better
    Interesting juxtaposition of comments

Being on macOS Mojave, the only upward option is macOS Catalina. So you need to consider very carefully whether you are ready for Catalina (big changes as mentioned already - no 32 bit apps; Music in place of iTunes etc) OR whether on reflection Mojave is where you want to stay.

Your Cmd + R took you into Internet Recovery where the only option is to download the Operating System (OS) with which the Mac shipped ie Lion. From there to.... still to be decided.

And this option to go straight to Catalina - how? where did you get that info?

There's a lot to think about here; not least your concluding comment:
    I'm planning on putting in a new battery, a Samsung 860 EVO SSD, and 2x8GB of Corsair RAM after that.
    Not bad for a "rookie". More than I could do

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    5K iMac 27" 4.2ghz / Mojave
    Some helpful info from an Apple Support document on Recovery mode, and the options for OS restore...

Command (⌘)-R
    Reinstall the latest macOS that was installed on your Mac (recommended).

Option-⌘-R
    Upgrade to the latest macOS that is compatible with your Mac.

Shift-Option-⌘-R
    Reinstall the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Absolutely, NSMacGuru. Hence the need for the OP to consider what the ultimate aim is.

Ian
    Ian

Thread Information