Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Catalina 10.15.2 now available for download
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    As the title indicates, Catalina 10.15.2 is now available for download.

Please be sure to backup your Mac with either the free Time Machine app or cloning software. Preferably, both.

Have fun.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.15.1
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    As the title indicates, Catalina 10.15.2 is now available for download.

Please be sure to backup your Mac with either the free Time Machine app or cloning software. Preferably, both.

Have fun.
    Well, also iPhone, iPads, TV OS et al - what a pain! Finished my 2 iDevices and Apple TV - need to do Susan's iDevices + just did TM & CCC backups of our 3 Macs a few days ago, so ready for Catalina, but may take a break for a day or two! Dave
    If you are helped, increase the reputation of the poster -

Quote Originally Posted by RadDave View Post
    Well, also iPhone, iPads, TV OS et al - what a pain! Finished my 2 iDevices and Apple TV - need to do Susan's iDevices + just did TM & CCC backups of our 3 Macs a few days ago, so ready for Catalina, but may take a break for a day or two! Dave

What is your rush Dave, and you must be very trusting as the updates were only just released today were they not???

Or are you just Bleeding Edge OS user???

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Hey Patrick:

Some folks like to stay up to date. Don't knock it. I also updated everything today - of course my Catalina update was to an external Samsung T5 SSD. Still running Mojave on my iMac, which by the way an update for that was also released today. It was Security Update #7.

Hey Patrick:
    Some folks like to stay up to date. Don't knock it.

I wasn't knocking the updates Charlie, but I was just a bit surprised the number of users who seem to like doing so almost immediately after a current Apple OS release.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.15.1
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    I wasn't knocking the updates Charlie, but I was just a bit surprised the number of users who seem to like doing so almost immediately after a current Apple OS release...............
    Hi Patrick - well, I did my backups on my laptops a few days ago and also then did backups on my iDevices to my MBPro (both in Finder & iMazing) - so I was just sitting in my den chair next to both the iPhone and iPad Pro when I learned about the new updates, so why not - both were quick and also did my Apple TV - 3 down and 5 to go - will likely wait a day or two - Dave
    If you are helped, increase the reputation of the poster -

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 21.5" 3.1GHz Core i7 16GB RAM Catalina. iPad Air. iPhone 6S. iPod nano.
    When I originally updated to Catalina I was still able to manage/back up my iPhone in the new Music app that replaced iTunes.

I don't know if it happened with the latest update to Catalina but when I tried to back up my iPhone today I found out that I now have to carry out these operations in Finder.

Like many I happily update my iPhone, iPad and Mac as soon as the updates are released.
    Peter - I used to be paranoid but now I just worry all the time

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    I wasn't knocking the updates Charlie, but I was just a bit surprised the number of users who seem to like doing so almost immediately after a current Apple OS release.

- Patrick
    ======
    Some times security matters.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    Some times security matters.

It seems that some Catalina users just may want to check to see where they are regarding Apple's security and updates.

It seems that many are not getting what they thought they might be.

I'll see if I can track down the URL later, it was released just yesterday I believe. Or just search the web.

It seems to be a rather sloppy and slack method Apple has been using from what I was reading.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Well, I finally decided to give Catalina a go. My favorite app was updated to 64 bit so I said - what the heck, let me give it a shot. I did make two clones of my Mojave installation, just in case. I wasn't entirely not familiar with Catalina since I had already installed it on a Samsung T5 SSD and could boot from it.

So far, I've only encountered one annoying problem with Catalina and that is with the Apple Mail app.

When I click on Mail from the dock, the Mail app opens normally but it does not show my mailboxes (inbox, etc). I click the Mail dock icon again and then my mailboxes show up and from there everything seems normal.

I've tried a suggestion that stated removing the Mail plist file would get things going normally again. No such luck and finding the Mail plist file is quite a chore since it's hidden in the Containers folder. (and it's called "container.plist".)

Anyway, I'm open to suggestions other than going back to Mojave. LOL.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    How about just leaving Mail open? You can minimize the window if you don't want it on the desktop, it will minimize to the Dock, right side.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    How about just leaving Mail open? You can minimize the window if you don't want it on the desktop, it will minimize to the Dock, right side.
    Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm doing now. Actually I don't even have to minimize it, I just shut it without closing the mail window and click again to open it. I've never seen anything like this happen before and betting that I have a setting somewhere in the Mail hierarchy that's not right. I thought about removing the accounts and then reinstating them but thought better of it knowing Murphy's law is lurking about ready to zap me. LOL

Your Mac's Specs
    I just experimented and got a similar result as you. One click has the icon bounce, but the window does not open. The second click opens the Mail window completely. I have Mail in my Login apps, so I never noticed it before. I have dual monitors, just park mail on the corner of one and never close it.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    Thanks for experimenting Jake. I'm wondering now if it's a Catalina thing? I've gone through all the settings that I can safely mess with and I can't see that anything has changed from Mojave.

Your Mac's Specs
    Might be. I tried it again, this time closing Mail, then double-clicking on it in the Applications folder. Opened just fine. Might be some interaction between Mail and the Dock.
    Jake

Thread Information