Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

OMG -- my machine is infected!

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Mini 16GB+1TB & two 4K monitors/Mojave, Mac Book/High Sierra, 2nd Mac Mini in game room/Mojave
    I normally never click on anything remotely suspicious, but suddenly I’m having serious issues:

1) After a restart, I’m getting two popups, “Mac Tuneup Pro” and “Advanced Mac Tuneup”. Both run at the same time but out of sync with voices warning that my Mac has issues -- "click here to clean up." The latter installs an icon on the menu bar and I can’t get rid of it. Naturally I don’t click on anything.

2) Safari has gotten really bad: it keeps opening new tabs urging me to contact what they call “Apple Support” with a toll-free number and a case number. Further, any time I click on an open tab I get popups from “MyCouponsmart” telling me my Norton subscription (what?) has expired, click here to renew. Naturally I don’t click on anything here either.

3) I don’t normally use Chrome but I launched it to see how it would act and it was unusable -- every time I clicked on a bookmark the page would open and then be overwritten by a Yahoo-looking page (this might be my home page on Chrome, couldn’t tell for sure, maybe bogus). Dumped out of that one.

What is the best way to use Time Machine to clean up this mess? I can go back to yesterday when the machine was fine, but which files should I select to commence the RESTORE? Can I exclude my photos and music files?

Most important, will Time Machine be able to restore the whole system the way it was without the infection or am I going to need a 3rd-party utility or am I going to have to clear the disk and reinstall Mojave, and if so, how do I do that?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 iMac 27" (10.15), 2019 MBP 16", (10.15), iPhone X (13), iPad 6 (13)
    download and run malwarebytes for Mac (it's free), see if that solves your issue before delving any further.

Malwarebytes | Malwarebytes for Mac — Mac Antivirus Replacement
    Johann Gambolputty de Von Ausfern....of Ülm

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.15.1
    Quote Originally Posted by IgorP View Post
    I normally never click on anything remotely suspicious, but suddenly I’m having serious issues:

1) After a restart, I’m getting two popups, “Mac Tuneup Pro” and “Advanced Mac Tuneup”. Both run at the same time but out of sync with voices warning that my Mac has issues -- "click here to clean up." The latter installs an icon on the menu bar and I can’t get rid of it. Naturally I don’t click on anything....................................
    Hi IgorP - looks like you've been hit w/ ransomware demanding likely $$ if you had decided to contact the 'hackers' - try Nicky's suggestion and hope that it helps. What I would probably do is: 1) Disconnect from the internet; 2) Clear your history from the browsers mentioned (yes, a pain in losing info); 3) Run a malware app as suggested - another that has been recommended here is DirectX Swift (free download); and 4) also run OnyX (download from the link AND obtain the version for the macOS being used); the latter will re-boot your computer. Let us know if this helps rid you of this nuisance! Good luck - Dave
    If you are helped, increase the reputation of the poster -

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Mini 16GB+1TB & two 4K monitors/Mojave, Mac Book/High Sierra, 2nd Mac Mini in game room/Mojave
    OK. Per advice of Nicky and Dave I downloaded Malwarebytes and ran the trial version -- no joy. I then downloaded and ran DirectX Swift and the evil "Mac Tuneup Pro” and “Advanced Mac Tuneup” seem to be gone and Safari has returned to normal.

Re Chrome: I deleted it from the machine when it acted as I described above. I just now re-installed it and it’s working OK.

Re Onyx: I have Onyx and run it all the time, including before I appealed to you. I don’t know that Onyx looks for viruses or malware -- in any case, it didn’t report anything untoward. I also ran Disk Utility and my hard drive was OK.

I believe my mistake was to click on a bogus Flash Upgrade. My question now is: “Is Adobe even upgrading Flash any more, given its planned demise at the end of 2020?” While I do need Flash for a couple of sites, I sure won’t be “upgrading” it again.

Thanks guys.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.15.1
    Quote Originally Posted by IgorP View Post
    OK. Per advice of Nicky and Dave I downloaded Malwarebytes and ran the trial version -- no joy. I then downloaded and ran DirectX Swift and the evil "Mac Tuneup Pro” and “Advanced Mac Tuneup” seem to be gone and Safari has returned to normal.

Re Chrome: I deleted it from the machine when it acted as I described above. I just now re-installed it and it’s working OK.

Re Onyx: I have Onyx and run it all the time, including before I appealed to you. I don’t know that Onyx looks for viruses or malware -- in any case, it didn’t report anything untoward. I also ran Disk Utility and my hard drive was OK.

I believe my mistake was to click on a bogus Flash Upgrade. My question now is: “Is Adobe even upgrading Flash any more, given its planned demise at the end of 2020?” While I do need Flash for a couple of sites, I sure won’t be “upgrading” it again.
    Hi again - sounds like success - congrats! OnyX was suggested to 'clean out' potential caches and detritus left behind - doesn't hurt. As to Flash, I migrated my 3 Macs to Catalina and no longer use the Adobe product - of course, always upgrade Flash, if still desired, from 'System Preferences' or the 'official' Adobe website - the popups that come up to upgrade Flash often will have embedded malware. Dave
    If you are helped, increase the reputation of the poster -

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 iMac 27" (10.15), 2019 MBP 16", (10.15), iPhone X (13), iPad 6 (13)
    glad you got it sorted :-)

re flash, it's best to update it through System Preferences.

Never trust a pop-up that's prompting you to update flash or any other app for that matter.
    Johann Gambolputty de Von Ausfern....of Ülm

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    As Nick stated, only update Flash from System Preferences, Flash Player. That will take you direct to Adobe.

As for Flash no longer being updated or developed after 2020, no worries. Most sites no longer use it and you can always access a site that needs it with Chrome. Chrome has its own version of Flash built in and keeps it up to date.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, macOS Catalina,
    For mine DetectX Swift is by far a better option than Malwarebytes lori.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Your Mac's Specs
    Thanks to all -- here’s a summary:

Malwarebytes was good, but left two threats. DetectX got ‘em.

Still not done -- had a nasty app “SearchMine” messing with my searches. Got rid of it via Guide to remove Searchmine.net Browser Redirect from Mac

Seems to be clean now. Thanks to all.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Okay! Good cleanup job. Thanks for posting back and letting us know.

Thread Information