Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Exclamation Can't install OS x Mavericks to my iMac 20-Inch "Core 2 Duo" 2.66 (Early 2008)
    I deleted the partition on my iMac then got a copy of mavericks OSX on my USB stick via TransMac, when I entered the restore menu on my iMac and selected the USB stick it booted then gave my a grey screen with a black stop sign( picture below). So I tried the online solutions via the disk utility and entered my Apple ID and Password but it would say "this item is temporarily unavailable" (Picture below) searched for solution and one was to try to log in to my iCloud via safari in the disk utility when I visited iCloud.com a pop up said " Connection error" (Picture below) before logging screen appears. This took me several hours but I feel powerless at this point and would be grateful if someone would help me out.

PS. when trying to erase my HD I found "Mac OS Extended(Journaled)" not "Mac OS X Extended (journaled)"

Also the OS that is available in the online installation(disk utilities) is OS Yosemite.

Pictures:

Can't install OS x Mavericks to my iMac 20-Inch "Core 2 Duo" 2.66 (Early 2008)
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    A warm welcome to Mac-Forums. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

From your description of events, I suspect that you may have gone the wrong way about acquiring Mavericks (10.9.x) especially from TransMac. And the installation process is corrupted in some way.

According to everymac.com, your iMac should be able to handle up to El Capitan (10.11.x) and everymac is usually accurate in its detail: iMac 20-Inch "Core 2 Duo" 2.66 (Early 2008) Specs (Early 2008, MB324LL/A, iMac8,1, A1224, 2210): EveryMac.com

That being so, and as Mavericks is no longer supported, Apple has allowed for a legitimate download of El Capitan from here: How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan - Apple Support

I think that would be a better option for you. The support article takes you through the process.

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, macOS Catalina,
    Transmac will not work on a Mac period.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Quote Originally Posted by IWT View Post
    A warm welcome to Mac-Forums. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

From your description of events, I suspect that you may have gone the wrong way about acquiring Mavericks (10.9.x) especially from TransMac. And the installation process is corrupted in some way.

According to everymac.com, your iMac should be able to handle up to El Capitan (10.11.x) and everymac is usually accurate in its detail: iMac 20-Inch "Core 2 Duo" 2.66 (Early 2008) Specs (Early 2008, MB324LL/A, iMac8,1, A1224, 2210): EveryMac.com

That being so, and as Mavericks is no longer supported, Apple has allowed for a legitimate download of El Capitan from here: How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan - Apple Support

I think that would be a better option for you. The support article takes you through the process.

Ian
    Thank you for the help, Do you have any idea where to download El Capitan from where I can mount it to my USB stick, and what software do you recommend other than TransMac for windows 10.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Yes. From the site I quoted: How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan - Apple Support

You shouldn't download it to a USB Stick, really. If you want it, download and install it to your Mac or, if you must, to an External Hard Drive (EHD).

As I see things - correct me please if I'm wrong - you have a 2018 iMac which is pretty useless as it stands; but can take El Capitan. I've given you the Apple site from which you can obtain it.

As regards Windows 10, I apologise, but I don't use Windows. The usual way to run a Windows OS on a Mac is via Bootcamp or one of the Virtual software apps. That would be after you've got El Capitan. And I don't know whether EC supports the latest version of Windows.

I'm delighted to assist, but I'm not sure what your final aim is.

Ian
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IWT View Post
    Yes. From the site I quoted: How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan - Apple Support

You shouldn't download it to a USB Stick, really. If you want it, download and install it to your Mac or, if you must, to an External Hard Drive (EHD).

As I see things - correct me please if I'm wrong - you have a 2018 iMac which is pretty useless as it stands; but can take El Capitan. I've given you the Apple site from which you can obtain it.

As regards Windows 10, I apologise, but I don't use Windows. The usual way to run a Windows OS on a Mac is via Bootcamp or one of the Virtual software apps. That would be after you've got El Capitan. And I don't know whether EC supports the latest version of Windows.

I'm delighted to assist, but I'm not sure what your final aim is.

Ian
    I really appreciate your help man really, actually I have an early 2008 iMac and I want to install any OS X on, but as Mavericks is outdated and cannot be installed I should install El Capitan, but my iMac isn't working because it has not OS X installed thus I can't install El Capitan the way you suggest I do, so I'm thinking to make a bootable USB stick to install the OS X using the recovery mode, and I currently only have windows that I can operate with, and another comment on this post said "Transmac will not work on a Mac period." so I'm really confused now. Can you please direct me with steps what exactly I have to do, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Have you tried any of these? How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support I don't know if they will work with your old and now useless iMac but you can always try. The big mistake you made was erasing it before you had a proven installer. That is not to criticize your action, but as a warning to others who may read this thread when they want to upgrade an iMac.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    See if you can get an installer from this Apple Support Document, If an installer says it can'''t be verified or was signed with a certificate that has expired - Apple Support.

Here’s another Apple Support document that my help, Use the Mac operating system that came with your Mac, or a compatible newer version - Apple Support

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Thread Information