Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

How do I install Mojave on a bootable external USB3 when currently running Catalina?
    Starting a new thread on this. I have been trying to create a bootable USB3 Mojave thumb drive so I can run my 32 bit apps on it. I am currently running Catalina on my main system.
    I have googled and followed several instructions on how to do this. However I have been unsuccessful. I even was using two usb drives to try and leave Catalina out of it completely.
    Came close but upon my install Mojave bootup it freezes and shows my my mouse and keyboard icon as if they are not connected. I m going nuts here trying to figure it out and all tuturials pretty much say the same thing but have come up short. Please help.
    I have a USB3 256G that I want to put Mojave and my apps on which is plenty of storage.
    Thx

How do I install Mojave on a bootable external USB3 when currently running Catalina?

Your Mac's Specs
    late 2012 mini w/SSD
    You weren't quite specific enough -- with the USB connected, can you see it as a boot option in System Prefs > startup?
    How did you create the USB installer?

Yes it shows as a boot option. I created it using the terminal and typing. sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Mojave.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

gets all the way to booting up then flashes a keyboard and mouse.
    at this point I can't do anything more.

Is your keyboard and mouse connection wired or via Bluetooth?

You could also try to make the installer via Disk Maker or Disk Creator rather than use the Terminal.

I used Disk Creator to make a USB installer for Mojave but then installed the software on an external USB 3.0 drive, not on a USB Flash drive
    That worked without any issues.

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    I just ran into this issue tonight as I was recreating a Mojave install to run a couple of 32-bit apps. When I rebooted neither the keyboard nor the mouse were recognized. If you did a clean install what has likely happened is that you are back to a state where a Bluetooth Keyboard and mouse have never been paired with the computer.

Try the following procedure which should fix the problem:

1. Attach a wired keyboard and mouse to the computer. A generic/Windows keyboard and mouse should work. You can also connect many third-party Bluetooth keyboards/mice using their USB charging cable.
    2. Go to System Preferences and open the Bluetooth preference pane.
    3. If you see a device name that's just a series of numbers try connecting to it. If you don't see anything there try to go through the normal Bluetooth pairing process for your devices.

Hopefully that gets things fixed.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    @Sly:

Were you using an Apple Magic keyboard and mouse? Even when doing a clean install both the Apple Magic keyboard and mouse are picked up immediately by the system and just work. Not sure I understand why your keyboard and mouse were not recognized?

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
    I just ran into this issue tonight as I was recreating a Mojave install to run a couple of 32-bit apps. When I rebooted neither the keyboard nor the mouse were recognized. If you did a clean install what has likely happened is that you are back to a state where a Bluetooth Keyboard and mouse have never been paired with the computer.

Try the following procedure which should fix the problem:

1. Attach a wired keyboard and mouse to the computer. A generic/Windows keyboard and mouse should work. You can also connect many third-party Bluetooth keyboards/mice using their USB charging cable.
    2. Go to System Preferences and open the Bluetooth preference pane.
    3. If you see a device name that's just a series of numbers try connecting to it. If you don't see anything there try to go through the normal Bluetooth pairing process for your devices.

Hopefully that gets things fixed.
    Sometimes this has happened to me. I also noticed it when I did either an SMC or NVRAM reset prior to doing an install. I don't remember which upgrade it happened with, but it was either Mojave or High Sierra.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    @Sly:

Were you using an Apple Magic keyboard and mouse? Even when doing a clean install both the Apple Magic keyboard and mouse are picked up immediately by the system and just work. Not sure I understand why your keyboard and mouse were not recognized?
    The mouse and trackpad are Apple's current models. The keyboard was third-party. Since a previous disaster had hosed my Mojave install I intended to do a clean install. That did not work because apparently when I downloaded things I got the small installer some others have mentioned (only a few MB). Ultimately I cloned the installation of a previous OS from my MB Pro o my Mac then did an upgrade install.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    Sometimes this has happened to me. I also noticed it when I did either an SMC or NVRAM reset prior to doing an install. I don't remember which upgrade it happened with, but it was either Mojave or High Sierra.
    I hadn't thought of that as a reason for the problem. I've done both procedures in the last few days.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Thread Information