Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    How can I salvage my 32 bit games with Catalina? Partition my drive? External drive?
    So I have run into a problem. I have a ton of Dos box games and GOG classics all on my Mac. With the new Catalina update they no longer work. Typical Apple. So rather then waiting for updates or such for dos box can I run them on an external drive with Mojave or have a separate partition on my drive for this? What is the best and easiest way to get around all this.

Thanks

How can I salvage my 32 bit games with Catalina? Partition my drive? External drive?
    Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwgraber View Post
    So I have run into a problem. I have a ton of Dos box games and GOG classics all on my Mac. With the new Catalina update they no longer work. Typical Apple. So rather then waiting for updates or such for dos box can I run them on an external drive with Mojave or have a separate partition on my drive for this? What is the best and easiest way to get around all this.

Thanks
    Don’t blame Apple. They’ve long been firing warning shots about dropping 32-bit compatibility for over 2 years now. The communities for DOSBox and Wineskin/Crossover have been warning people all this time also.

Luckily, there is hope on the horizon for Windows-based games, and solutions NOW for DOS-based games. You can get 64-bit versions of DOSBox and Boxer (which is based on DOSBox but is more Mac-like) that will run DOS games under Catalina just fine. I use Boxer and can attest to that. Link below to where to download Boxer 64-bit.
    64-bit Version of Boxer for OSX Catalina 10.15 – thec0de.com

As for Windows games, Codeweavers now has a beta version of Crossover 19 that has support for running 32-bit processes in a 64-bit wrapper. Their blog talks about what they are doing to make it work. Once they are out of beta, we’ll see their work trickle out to Wineskin and Porting Kit.
    CodeWeavers Blogs | Jeremy White | CrossOver 19 is progressing well and is now in beta! | CodeWeavers

For now, you can dual-boot either Windows or Mojave. Or purchase Crossover and get the beta.

EDIT: I wouldn’t dual boot off an external drive unless it’s USB-C or Thunderbolt. The performance would be very poor.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | Find Any File | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | DetectX: Malware monitoring and removal | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    I'm on the Codeweavers mailing list and am also waiting for CrossOver 19 to get out of beta. However, Codeweavers prices are way too high considering they will only provide support for the current version for one year. And it looks like they're going to a subscription model.

As for Wineskin and other wine porting kits to pick up on the CrossOver work, I'm not holding my breath.

What is the best and easiest way to get around all this.
    Simple IMHO, don't "upgrade" to Catalina.

Is there really some special feature or features that you just must have in Catalina that is not available otherwise??? Or what reasons do you have for upgrading to Catalina???

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Because Patrick.....

Lots of folks did not do their homework and jumped on the Catalina bandwagon. But like we already know, Apple has been warning of the demise of 32 bit apps now for 2 years.

But I agree with you, the simple solution is to stick with Mojave.

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    I'm on the Codeweavers mailing list and am also waiting for CrossOver 19 to get out of beta. However, Codeweavers prices are way too high considering they will only provide support for the current version for one year. And it looks like they're going to a subscription model.

As for Wineskin and other wine porting kits to pick up on the CrossOver work, I'm not holding my breath.
    I used to be an advocate for a few games so i got Crossover for free, but ditched it long ago for Wineskin. I have no doubt they intend to go subscription... it’s what all the cool kids are doing these days.

The Porting Kit guys are expecting to implement what Codeweavers is doing. They certainly mention it periodically and have long worked with them and promoted Crossover as an option.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | Find Any File | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | DetectX: Malware monitoring and removal | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

So is there anyway to revert back to Mojave once I have upgraded? Also how can I dual boot from Mojave to Catalina?

So what about creating a Mojave partition on my drive?

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    So is there anyway to revert back to Mojave once I have upgraded? Also how can I dual boot from Mojave to Catalina?
    So what about creating a Mojave partition on my drive?
    Before these questions can be properly addressed, can you tell us if you have any Backups made before you Upgraded?

For example, Time Machine? - better still any cloned Backups, such as Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! ?

Ian
    Ian

No backups just stuff Ive moved over manually to a external backup. Im thinking its best just to get a usb3. Put Mojave on it and reboot and play off it?

Not trying to be glib but rather than trying to reinvent the wheel and reproduce whatever has already been written, just do a Google search. Tons of Articles explaining how.

As for the boot process, System Preferences -> StartUp Disk gives you options as does holding down the option key during a boot up or restart.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    No backups just stuff Ive moved over manually to a external backup. Im thinking its best just to get a usb3. Put Mojave on it and reboot and play off it?
    That would be the easiest thing to do. An external SSD on USB-C is just as responsive as an internal SSD. I trust your Mac does have a Thunderbolt/USB-C port?

Before you do this, you really should revisit your backup strategy. If you accidentally format the wrong drive, or wrong partition, you'll have lost everything except what you have manually backed up.

------
    ------

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    I have a ton of Dos box games and GOG classics all on my Mac. With the new Catalina update they no longer work. Typical Apple.
    Do you know of another OS that is never updated?

paulwgrabe said:
    I have a ton of Dos box games and GOG classics all on my Mac. With the new Catalina update they no longer work. Typical Apple.

Hmmm...??? I don't really ever recall Apple supporting DOS natively unless you include their very old Apple-DOS Floppy disk format, so I don't see what's "typically Apple" with your problem or their recent OS change.

Just saying...

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    paulwgrabe said:

Hmmm...??? I don't really ever recall Apple supporting DOS natively unless you include their very old Apple-DOS Floppy disk format, so I don't see what's "typically Apple" with your problem or their recent OS change.

Just saying...
    Pushing technology forward is pretty typical of Apple.

------
    ------

Thread Information