Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    How can I salvage my 32 bit games with Catalina? Partition my drive? External drive?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lifeisabeach View Post
    Pushing technology forward is pretty typical of Apple.

True, but the DOS operating system was never part of any of their technology. Thank God and one of the main reasons I bought my first LC, and one of the first color Macs, actually one of the first affordable colour PCs I believe.

- Patrick
    ======

I have a 32-bit program that I need (The author says it won't be updated until mid 2020). One way to use it is to have Mojave in a VM. I tried VM-Fusion but I needed the ability to access external monitors from within it, and it didn't work. I'm told Parallels handles that feature better. So I next created a Mojave partition, and am able to reboot into Mojave to run my program. That works. I don't even need the program nor the data on that drive, as I use aliases to point to them on my Catalina drive.

But I'm planning on buying an External SSD and moving Mojave to it. I read this article Save $1,000 Or More On A New iMac - Part 1: Solid State Storage Blues, and see its advantages. My current Mac has Thunderbolt 1 and USB 3, so I want a drive that does both. I'm thinking of getting LaCie 2TB Mobile SSD drive. When I buy my new Mac next year, I'll be able to use its Thunderbolt 3 port, and when I can upgrade that drive to Catalina, I can have the speed of SSD, even if my new Mac has a Fusion drive. (A cheaper alternative is to make your external drive HDD, but I want to test to see if I can save money on my next iMac).

How can I salvage my 32 bit games with Catalina? Partition my drive? External drive?
    Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Hey everyone, Crossover 19 just dropped, supporting 32-bit Windows apps in Catalina. According to Codeweaver's blog, it's performing well and they are not seeing the performance hits that they feared this workaround would cause. I perused their forums and there's some feedback that it is indeed working as advertised, with one glaring problem: some AV software for Mac (BitDefender and a couple others) are erroneously flagging parts of Crossover as infected and deleting those parts. So something to be aware of.

CodeWeavers Blogs | Jeremy White | Celebrating the difficult; the release of CrossOver 19 | CodeWeavers

Community Forums | CrossOver Support | CodeWeavers

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | Find Any File | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | DetectX: Malware monitoring and removal | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    I can verify what "Life" stated above about CrossOver 19. I installed it last night both to my Mojave system and my Catalina 10.15.2 system and it works as advertised. However, as I've stated before, CrossOver is not free and can be sort of expensive if you're buying it for the first time. I believe they're asking $69.00 for a license and it seems they going to a subscription system later next year.

A better option and one that is free is to install VirtualBox (the latest version is Catalina ready) and use it to install the free ReactOS.

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    I can verify what "Life" stated above about CrossOver 19. I installed it last night both to my Mojave system and my Catalina 10.15.2 system and it works as advertised. However, as I've stated before, CrossOver is not free and can be sort of expensive if you're buying it for the first time. I believe they're asking $69.00 for a license and it seems they going to a subscription system later next year.

A better option and one that is free is to install VirtualBox (the latest version is Catalina ready) and use it to install the free ReactOS.
    It's on sale for 40% off for the next few days. That brings it from $60 to $36 for the version with a year of support. For those of us who can make do on our own, you can get it with no support for $24 (normally $40). I'm holding out for Wineskin/PortingKit to catch up, but I may bite for $24, if for no reason other than to support their efforts.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | Find Any File | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | DetectX: Malware monitoring and removal | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    I'm on the Codeweavers mailing list and am also waiting for CrossOver 19 to get out of beta. However, Codeweavers prices are way too high considering they will only provide support for the current version for one year. And it looks like they're going to a subscription model.

As for Wineskin and other wine porting kits to pick up on the CrossOver work, I'm not holding my breath.
    Welllllll.... I guess 7 weeks would have been a long time to hold it. Porting Kit is now Catalina-compatible. Right now, it requires disabling SIP, something I for one wouldn't do or recommend, but they expect to be able to avoid that in the future.

------
    ------

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Thanks for the update. I'm currently using CrossOver 19 and as long as it continues to work, I'll stick with it for now. But if they go off on a subscription model, I may turn to Wineskin. I have other Windows 32 bit apps that I would like to install - MS Office 2010 and 2013 for Windows.

Right now I'm subscribed to Office 365 but only use Word. My subscription renews in Mid March but If I can use the Office copies for Windows, I won't need to re-subscribe.

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    I'm waiting for someone to ask, how do I get Mojave now that I've updated to Catalina. Or maybe it's such a popular topic the answer is easy to find.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwgraber View Post
    So what about creating a Mojave partition on my drive?
    Well others have hinted at it and what I think they were getting at was if you had a a clone backup and like me did a backup of my SSD after downloading the Mojave installer then you would have a copy of it and could easily create a USB-C thumb drive of Mojave or create a partition and install it there. As it stands you will need to download it again from Apple. This is less than easy because Apple pulls the old macOS off the App Store after the release of a new macOS. Also the do not like retrograde updates so it may be difficult to download from your "Purchases" because you are running a later macOS.
    This is one of the reasons we constantly harp on backups.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Thread Information