Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    macOS installer cannot be loaded

I already answered, all I can see in DU, startup utility, etc. is just one drive, the mac HD, never the macOS installers and the boot drive is also set to the HD. I don't know where the virtual drive is saved. I also checked that there is no other partition except for the firefox that I installed a while ago.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    The reason I asked that question twice is that the installer may well be a hidden (to you) dmg file that has been set to the default startup. It won't show in DU or Finder unless it is mounted, but the OS may well know about it and it may show in Startup Disc. If it's not there, just make sure that your internal drive IS the default boot drive. Once we know that, then we can go look for the installer. It's there somewhere because you see it when you Option-boot, but let's get your system booting normally and then we can find the culprit. So, a simple question that only needs a yes/no answer: Did you look at System Preferences/Startup Disc and set the default to your internal drive?

And can you say more about this Firefox partition? FF is an app, a browser, and doesn't need it's own partition, nor should it have a partition. In Post #11 you said there was no other partition showing in DU, so I'm confused by that.
    Jake

I also look at the startup disc and the installer is not there. I only saw it when I did the option-restart and did not know how to remove it and from where?

Your Mac's Specs
    The installer is most likely a hidden .dmg file. Starting an upgrade like that changes certain parts of the OS to boot differently because installation is a bit of a trick. The system on the boot drive is normally not changeable, but for upgrades in place, it has to be made changeable. The installer changes some part of the system, then reboots to a special state where it can update the parts it could not update before, then reboots again to get the new stuff in place. That process can take multiple reboots. Most of them are hidden from the user, taking place silently during the upgrade. It's a bit like changing out the engine of a car while running down the road. When you interrupted the install because you changed your mind, you left the system in a state where it is probably partially upgraded and partially not.

About the only way to clean it up may well be to wipe the drive clean and reinstall from scratch. Make backups of your data before you start. You can make a bootable USB drive from a memory stick, boot from it, use DU to erase the entire hard drive, repartition it, reinstall the OS, then on first boot use Migration Assistant to get your data back.

One more thing was confusing to me. In post #12 you said:
    I guess the issue arose when I started to install the mac os from high sierra to Mojave and Catalina.
    Those two versions deal with the drive very differently. Which one were you really trying to install and interrupted?
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Was it "installer", or was it "Recovery"?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

About the only way to clean it up may well be to wipe the drive clean and reinstall from scratch.

Do I dare mention here or ask if Disk Utility in Mojave and/or Catalina still has the developers debug menu option available that will show all volumes partitions etc. ie: show Invisibles, show All volumes etc.), and an option to delete any surplus volumes.

That would make a quick and easy way to get rid of any of the Surplus stuff.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Patrick, not a developer debug menu (Isn't that in Safari?) but it does have a "View" option in the upper left corner of the default window where you can select to View Only Volumes or All Devices. Selecting "All Devices" shows all hardware but it does not show any detail of unmounted devices. I think the installer is unmounted when booted into the OS, so it's only shown at the "Option" boot screen as a potential boot drive. Frankly, setting the default boot drive should have been enough. If it's not, the installer did something else internal to the system that may require a full erase and reinstall.

Here is an image of DU on my Catalina MBP:
    Screen Shot 2019-12-06 at 4.38.16 PM.png

You can see the View option upper left corner, and a stack of externals in the sidebar that are not mounted, but being seen by the OS. However, if you look at the main window, there are two volumes showing, Macintosh HD and Macintosh HD - Data, plus a third small one called "VM" and two not mounted whose names don't show. I don't know what is in "VM" but from using "diskutil list" in Terminal I got this result:

Screen Shot 2019-12-06 at 4.45.45 PM.png

So it would appear those two unnamed are "Preboot" and "Recovery." I'm wondering if the installer sets something in one or both of those two to control the boots required during the installation (and in the process, sets the default boot volume). Curiously, the container named VM shows in DU as mounted but is not shown in /Volumes at all. Wonder where it is mounted?
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    UPDATE: I found this at eclecticlight.co:

A bootable Catalina APFS container normally contains at least five APFS volumes:

• the read-only system volume, by default on the internal disk named Macintosh HD, which forms the root of the boot file system,
    • the writable data volume, by default on the internal disk named Macintosh HD Data, which is normally hidden from view at /System/Volumes and accessed via firmlinks,
    • Preboot, a small volume of around 40-50 MB,
    • Recovery, the Recovery Volume, of around 500 MB,
    • VM, containing virtual memory caches, which is upwards of 20 KB depending on use.
    Clearly, VM can get much larger than 20KB. Wonder if OnyX purges that in maintenance? And what the impact would be?
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    OnyX did not change the VM Volume size. That size is dynamic, so there really is 1GB of *something* cached there. This may take some research to find out what's going on.
    Jake

This may take some research to find out what's going on.

Interesting info Jake, and certainly a lot more involved from Disk Utility in Mavericks.

Here's what I get with the Developer Debug menu item enabled:
    (the Grayed out volumes are either unmounted by myself with DU or normally invisible.)

Screen Shot 2019-12-06 at 2.57.58 PM.png

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    OK, apparently Apple created VM as a partition/volume back in history at some time. It's mounted at /private/var/vm for those interested. Mine is just over 1GB in size because there is a file called "sleepimage" there. If you are interested in sleepimage you can read more in this article from 2011: How to Remove the Disk-hogging Sleepimage File from Your Mac | TechRadar I have no idea what the impact is of removing it, but I did try removing it, got a warning about overriding the root/wheel permissions. I went ahead and rm'd it, then followed the article about using pmset to turn it off. But then I got cold feet about it and reversed the pemset setting back to what it had been and the sleepimage file immediately reappeared with a timestamp of the instant I turned it back on. Might do more research to see what the downside of not having it really is.

As for the OP, this whole thing just reinforces my thinking that the aborted upgrade installation has left your system in an ambiguous state--neither upgraded nor back to original.
    Jake

I wiped out the HD and reinstalled High Sierra, upgraded to Catalina. The issue was gone now. Thanks. So how do I sync music and book, etc., from Catalina to iPad without using iTunes please?

Your Mac's Specs
    Open Music. Connect your iPad. It should show in the sidebar. There should be a box for Sync settings. Open that, then click on the Music tab. Select what you want to sync. Click "Sync" in the lower right corner. Sit back, it will take a while. I don't do books, but I suspect it works in a similar fashion.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    You can sync through the Finder as well. It has all the tabs for General, Music, Movies, TV Shows, Podcasts, Audiobooks, Books, Photos, Files, Info. Everything that iTunes used to do.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Does it essentially work the same way as iTunes, e.g., is it always a one-way sync and cannot do the reverse from iPad to MBP?

Thread Information