Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Stopped getting email
    All of a sudden I stopped getting emails from my account with a message of Connections to the server “imap.mail.yahoo.com” on the default ports timed out" Can't figure what happened ! Can anyone help please. I've checked that my accounts were still in mail but don't know how to get them back on line. Thanks.

Stopped getting email
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 11 iOS 13, 1st Gen 12.9" iPad Pro iPadOS 13
    In Mac Mail, in the Top Menu bar, select Mailbox, then select Take All Mailboxes Online.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Thanks ferrari for the reply but unfortunately they are on line.Its something else that's causing the problem.

Stopped getting email
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    A warm welcome to Mac-Forums, roneboy1.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but have you tried:

1. Quitting the Mail app? By quitting I mean Command + Q or Clicking on Mail app icon in top menu bar and choosing Quit Mail. I only mention that because Close and Quit are different things. Then relaunch Mail app.

2. Rebooted you Mac.

These two things sort out a lot of similar problems.

Ian
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IWT View Post
    A warm welcome to Mac-Forums, roneboy1.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but have you tried:

1. Quitting the Mail app? By quitting I mean Command + Q or Clicking on Mail app icon in top menu bar and choosing Quit Mail. I only mention that because Close and Quit are different things. Then relaunch Mail app.

2. Rebooted you Mac.

These two things sort out a lot of similar problems.

Ian
    Thanks Ian. I'm all ears when i can't figure out a problem with the computer. I did go back and try that again but still didn't slove my problem. I was thinking to delete my 2 mailboxes and setting them up again to see if that would do it. I'm lost at this point just grabbing for straws. Really appreciate the help.

Stopped getting email
    In cases like this, where everything looks fine on my end and I also haven't made any changes that could affect mail delivery from the server, I always call up my ISP - and the last few times that happen, rather infrequently, maybe three times a year, the problem was on their end and after the call I get a "flood" of email coming in.

That is with a POP account - I don't know how and why emails get stuck on the server or what the ISP does...used to be that the ISP argued everything was fine on their end, but even after that - I assume they must have checked something and corrected the problem - suddenly everything worked again.

Thanks. I'll try that next.

I'm thinking i would have the same problem on my phone but i don't.

Stopped getting email
    Quote Originally Posted by roneboy1 View Post
    I'm thinking i would have the same problem on my phone but i don't.
    You mean accessing the same email server on your cell phone?

Yes, i don't have an iphone so i don't know if that would make a difference.

Stopped getting email
    It shouldn't matter if your cellphone is an iphone or not.

What might matter is how you connect to your email server using the cell phone.
    If it's via cellphone data, ie via the cell network, then it's a totally different connection than over the net which is what the Mac uses to access the email server.
    If your cellphone connects via your local WiFi network and you get your emails on your phone that way, then it could be an issue on your end.

It's just in general, things like that don't suddenly stop working without a reason.
    I would still call the ISP who provides your email service - you pay them so they can provide some support.

Thaks so much for all the help guys. All of a sudden i'm getting dribs and drabs of emails coming in so i believe its not on my end. If it doesn't return to normal in a day or so i will call the provider for sure. Thanks again for the help. Great to belong to this group.

Stopped getting email
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    If it's via cellphone data, ie via the cell network, then it's a totally different connection than over the net which is what the Mac uses to access the email server.
    I think that the mail server sees both as exactly the same. Otherwise you would have to have two different setups on the phone, one for cell and one for Wifi. I've never had to do that. In addition, on my iPhone the account settings are exactly the same as they are on my Mac, so again, the email server sees the request exactly the same.

What is different is that when I go through the cell network for mail, my cell provider, Verizon, connects to the Internet and passes the data along to the server, then returns the email to me by cell again. But the email server never knows which way is being used, as far as I can see.
    Jake

Stopped getting email
    All of a sudden i'm getting dribs and drabs of emails coming in so i believe its not on my end.
    Dom't be afraid to use the "Connection Doctor.app":

Mail -> Window(menu) -> Connection Doctor.

It may show some problems.

- Patrick
    ======

Stopped getting email
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    I think that the mail server sees both as exactly the same. Otherwise you would have to have two different setups on the phone, one for cell and one for Wifi. I've never had to do that. In addition, on my iPhone the account settings are exactly the same as they are on my Mac, so again, the email server sees the request exactly the same.

What is different is that when I go through the cell network for mail, my cell provider, Verizon, connects to the Internet and passes the data along to the server, then returns the email to me by cell again. But the email server never knows which way is being used, as far as I can see.
    Jake,

I don't know the nitty, gritty of the various connections from the email server either -how they differ or are the same depending how one connects, but...
    If the connection from the email server to the WiFi network in the house is exactly the same when connecting with the Mac over WiFi or connecting with the cellphone using WiFi, then the issue would have to be somewhere with the Mac.
    However, roneboy1 made no changes to the Mac or the email account - email just suddenly stopped working
    Apple Mail was reset, the Mac was rebooted, now emails are coming in dribs and drabs - all I see is that the access to email was different via the cell phone vs the Mac and whatever prevented the Mac from retrieving emails seems to be getting fixed.

Thread Information