Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Stopped getting email
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    @krs, the one difference between phone email and Mac email is that the phone email (generally, depends on a lot of things) inherits the settings from the mail provider rather than having to be entered on the Mac. So it is possible that the Mac settings, although the OP said they are unchanged, did change at the server end. However, the fact that they are now coming in, albeit slowly, says the settings are not the culprit. At this point I wonder how well his ISP is working. Or his router. The phone can fall back to cellular to get mail, but the Mac depends on the ISP/router to connect.

But I still don't see how the pipe used is known to the email server. I checked and my email settings are exactly the same on both Mac and iPhone. So as far as the servers are concerned, there is no difference.
    Jake

Whatever it was it was the provider and not my mac. I checked with the connection doctor and no red dots so its fixed. Thanks everyone for all the help. Really appreciate it.

Stopped getting email
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post

But I still don't see how the pipe used is known to the email server. I checked and my email settings are exactly the same on both Mac and iPhone. So as far as the servers are concerned, there is no difference.
    Now that the OP’s problem is resolved, this turns into an academic discussion - I don’t really want to spend a lot of time on that.

But do we not agree that the two ways to connect from a cellphone to an email server are very different?

1. If one uses WiFi, the connection is from the cellphone vis WiFi to a router, router connects to some type of modem, then in most cases one connects via DSL, cable or fibre to the ISP, and then possibly through the net to the email server.
    My email server is with a different ISP than my fibre link to the internet, so I go through the net to access mail on the server I use.

2. he other way to connect from a cell phone to that same email server is via cellular data. In that case, the cellphone connects directly to the cell tower, cell tower connects to the switching office, then to the internet and finally to the email server.

3. Accessing the email server from the Mac is done via a router, basically the same way as connecting via WiFi from a cell phone.

The problem was that the connection to the email server from the Mac did not work, but retrieving emails via the cellphone was fine.
    So point 3 above didn’t work and either point 1 or 2 or both did.
    I don’t know how the email server was accessed from the cellphone, but it must have been via cellular data since the WiFi access is the same for the Mac and the cellphone and it was determined that the Mac was not the problem.
    Which then let me to the conclusion that from the server point of view, the connection to the client was somehow different via the router/internet connection that the cellular data connection otherwise one could not get the situation where one worked and the other one did not (because it was not an issue at the client’s end).

I don’t think the fact that your set up on the Mac and iphone are the same is relevant.
    That is just the user interface, it does not mean that the communication between the Mac and server and between the iphone and server is identical.

More than I wanted to type…….

Maybe some members knows more about the details of these connections - I have no intention to research any of this, what I wrote is just a very general understanding that I have about parts of the network.

Thanks for the info.

Stopped getting email
    Your Mac's Specs
    But do we not agree that the two ways to connect from a cellphone to an email server are very different?
    No, we don't agree. Consider the "last mile" of the connection. It's all internet to the mail server. At that point there is zero difference. Once the request for email hits that internet leg, the server deals with it exactly the same way. Same address, same ports, same login, same password, same security. And the response to the request is exactly the same. Once it traverses the "last mile" the data may change piped to enter the Cellular path, but at that point the mail server no longer cares. So the response of the mail server should be consistent across all access methods with the exception of webmail (webmail is accessed through a browser, so the browser characteristics have to be taken into account, which is the one difference). But the OP's issue was not webmail, just email.

It's a bit like this: Imagine that you want to travel to Grandma's for Christmas. She lives in a major city that is too far away to drive to. So you plan to either fly, or take a train there. Once in the city, you take a taxi to Grandma's. Grandma knows you are taking a taxi, so she's looking out the window for you. She doesn't care if you came by air, or train, or goat-pulled cart, all she cares is that you are arriving by cab. Ditto for departing. Where the cab goes doesn't matter, just that a cab comes and takes you away. It's the "last mile" of the journey that governs Grandma's behavior and response. And it's the last mile that governs the mail server's behavior, too. And everybody arrives at the email server by Internet, and all mail departs by Internet, no matter whether that internet then stays internet all the way to you or crosses over into cellular, or tin cans and string. The server doesn't know and doesn't care. It only sees the Internet.
    Jake

Stopped getting email
    No, we don't agree. Consider the "last mile" of the connection. It's all internet to the mail server. At that point there is zero difference.
    Well of course the "last" mile to the server is the same, I never said that part was different.
    I'm looking at the whole path, not just a small portion of it.

But if the "whole path" was identical. how would you explain that email worked using one path but not the other.

PS: I stopped reading your post when you started to use a trip to grandma to illustrate your point.
    The internet is not that simple.
    Take the example of a server connection to a mobile device as compared to a computer, the webpage can be set up to interact differently even though the connection at the server end is identical in both cases.
    Last edited by krs; 12-02-2019 at 06:19 PM.

Stopped getting email
    Your Mac's Specs
    How about we drop it? It doesn't really matter and neither of us seems inclined to change viewpoint.
    Jake

Sorry guys, i wasn't trying to start a debate just trying to get help. Thanks to all of you that helped me.

Stopped getting email
    Your Mac's Specs
    @roneboy1, don't fret about it. We sometimes like to argue here about how many angles can dance on the head of a pin. No harm, no foul. Glad you got it sorted out.
    Jake

Stopped getting email
    How about we drop it?
    I was just about to suggest the same thing.

But it would still be nice to understand why the connection to the email server worked one way or not the other - that is really what I was trying to get to.

Stopped getting email
    But it would still be nice to understand why the connection to the email server worked one way or not the other - that is really what I was trying to get to.

Our home builder had the answer when things went Goofy, it was a simple "Stuff Happens"

But it seems that everything in this world can have a bad day, and even inexplicable ones.

Just look at all the odd things that happen in Nature alone. Many that will never have an explanation.

It's just the way the world works sometimes.

- Patrick
    ======
    Last edited by chscag; 12-02-2019 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Careful Patrickl! We are still "G" rated.

Well its back again with no emails. Had comcast change the router and modem and still not getting any email. I guess I'll give them a call again. Driving me crazy !!

Stopped getting email
    Ah.... Comcast - I don't remember you mentioning that before.

Do you have another email account to send a test email to your self to see what happens?
    Or have someone send a test email and see if they get an undeliverable message back?

I have a very good friend in the US who used Comcast and every once in a while Comcast rejects emails I send him.
    I get a message back that my ISP is on their "blacklist" and they merrily just block any emails with no notification to the recipient.
    After a while their blacklist is updated, email go through again until the next time a server is blacklisted by whoever Comcast uses as spam control.

Bit of a long shot to explain your problem, but one possibility you want to eliminate.

I will check that All out too...thanks !!

Stopped getting email
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    That’s why I believe all emails should get to the inbox, regardless of spam or not, but it should be marked as “spam?”. Let me have the only say if it is spam or not. But, i check mine once or twice a day, and my wife checks hers once a month sometimes.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Thread Information