Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Can I skip OS X versions?
    My mid 2010 MBP had a total hard drive failure and I believe I had upgraded all the way to Sierra before it crashed. I've reinstalled the OS from the original disks (Snow Leopard), and now I'm trying to get back to where I was. I can get the installers from my App store account for all the OS X installers, but do I have to do the upgrades, or can I just install Sierra over 10.6?

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    As long as you have the installer for Sierra you should be able to install it without going thru the previous versions of macOS.

My mid 2010 MBP had a total hard drive failure

Do you have any sort of a recent backup or clone you could utilize???

- Patrick
    ======

I actually have an external drive that I use with Time Machine, but when I reinstalled from my factory disks and then imported from Time Machine, I still had 10.6 for an OS, but all my files and apps were there from 10.12. None of which would work.
    Am I missing something when it comes to Time Machine? For some reason, I thought I could put in a new drive and "clone" it with Time Machine back tu the way it was before.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    No, Time Machine only works that way when there is a Recovery partition on the drive already. So, If you make a Sierra bootable USB installer, then you can wipe the drive again, install Sierra, then use TM to restore from.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Here's a procedure, based upon Bob's suggestion, that should get you back up and running with minimal fuss and bother. It assumes that you have a bootable Sierra installer. If not there could be other steps needed.

1. Boot your Mac from the Sierra installer. When asked to create a user accost do not give it the same name as the account you will be restoring. This is a throw away account that can be deleted later or kept around as a "clean" account (no extra thread-party stuff added) for troubleshooting purposes. See Note below for a reason not to use the name of the account you want to restore from.

2. When setting up the account you just created you may or may not choose to add your email addresses, Apple ID, and other information. For myself, I add as little as possible because I will only be using this account to troubleshoot issues.

3. With your Time machine backup attached run Migration Assistant (in the Utilities folder) and restore anything you want to use. At this point you can choose to restore the user account that you really want to use/keep.

Note: When you create the new account while reinstalling the OS be careful with the user name that you create. If you try to create a new user account with the same name as the account you will restore later you will likely have issues. Generally there are permissions issues making it difficult to use the files you just restored. Avoid this problem by using a "throw away" account during installation.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Here's a procedure, based upon Bob's suggestion,

As the OP seemingly had Sierra installed AND was using Time Machine, surley they should be able to just boot from the Recovery HD by: Restart your Mac while pressing Command + R
    then select the option: “Restore from a Time Machine Backup”

Oppps... But I guess I'm forgetting that I guess the Recovery HD no longer exists considering they replaced the hard drive.

PS: One of the reasons I always suggest using Carbon Copy Cloner for a backup drive. Fully bootable and transferable/Cloneable. Maybe an hour or so booting, formatting and cloning back to the new replacement drive and carrying on as before.

PPS: Using Sly's method and leaving the "new user" admin's minimal account is a good idea so it can be used as a "tester", just the name I use for my own "tester" account. It can be installed easily within 20KB drive space.

- Patrick
    ======

This morning I downloaded Sierra right from the Apple site but when I tried to do the upgrade, it went through the install procedure, but very fast. I had to agree to the install and put in my password, but the install only took about 5 seconds before I got a "This installation was successful" message, but it obviously never installed in that time and my info is still showing the old OS.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy4 View Post
    This morning I downloaded Sierra right from the Apple site but when I tried to do the upgrade, it went through the install procedure, but very fast. I had to agree to the install and put in my password, but the install only took about 5 seconds before I got a "This installation was successful" message, but it obviously never installed in that time and my info is still showing the old OS.
    Download the full Sierra installer from here:

Connecting to the Mac App Store
    or
    http://updates-http.cdn-apple.com/20.../InstallOS.dmg

You can boot from a Time Machine backup. Ever since OS X 10.7.2, Time Machine backups have been bootable. A Time Machine backup will boot into something very much like your Recovery Partition. From there, you can reformat disks and do a full restore.

How to do a full restore from a Time Machine backup:
    Restore your Mac from a backup - Apple Support
    Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
    Mac OS X Routine Maintenance • http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

Your link about doing a full restore worked for me. I managed to follow the instructions on restoring and now I am back the way I was before the crash. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Happy4 View Post
    Your link about doing a full restore worked for me. I managed to follow the instructions on restoring and now I am back the way I was before the crash. Thanks
    My pleasure!

You might, in the future, want to consider doing a "clone" backup, instead of a versioned backup (i.e. Time Machine) or in addition to one. See:

BASIC INFORMATION ABOUT BACKING UP YOUR MACINTOSH’S DATA
    Macintosh OS X Beachballs!

A clone backup makes it quite a bit faster and easier to get back up and running immediately if your main hard drive or computer fails. Though there are good reasons to have both types of backup.
    Randy B. Singer

Quote Originally Posted by Randy B. Singer View Post
    BASIC INFORMATION ABOUT BACKING UP YOUR MACINTOSH’S DATA

SO sorry! I gave you the wrong link. The correct URL is:

Upgrading To The Very Latest Macintosh Operating System
    Randy B. Singer

Thread Information