Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mac 10.6.8 on a mac 24"
    Newb here, What OS can I upgrade to using the best Internet Browser.Currently running Firefox 48.0.2 and It will not let me upgrade browser cause my current OS will not support. Any help would be appreciated!

mac 10.6.8 on a mac 24"
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    I think you may find that Firefox 49.5 ESR will run on your device. Check this article; Browser for OS 10.6.8 - Apple Community
    Alternatively there was a browser called Pale Moon or New Moon that I think will work.
    Upgrading your device could be risky. You do not actually say which device you are using. Check the "About This Mac" panel under the Apple on the Menu Bar and let us know what it is and its specs.

I say risky because if the device is still running it's original Hard Drive an upgrade may well cause it to crash. This means that you really should have a complete backup of the device and even then you would still need something to put the saved data on after the crash.

Having said that you can probably upgrade to macOS 10.7 and from there to 10.8 but we need to know more about your device first.

Personally I think that you would be better off trying to find a suitable, compatible browser that will satisfy your browsing requirements rather than risking a complete OSX upgrade on a device that obviously does what you need it to do as is.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I think you may find that Firefox 49.5 ESR will run on your device. Check this article; Browser for OS 10.6.8 - Apple Community
    Alternatively there was a browser called Pale Moon or New Moon that I think will work.
    Upgrading your device could be risky. You do not actually say which device you are using. Check the "About This Mac" panel under the Apple on the Menu Bar and let us know what it is and its specs.

I say risky because if the device is still running it's original Hard Drive an upgrade may well cause it to crash. This means that you really should have a complete backup of the device and even then you would still need something to put the saved data on after the crash.

Having said that you can probably upgrade to macOS 10.7 and from there to 10.8 but we need to know more about your device first.

Personally I think that you would be better off trying to find a suitable, compatible browser that will satisfy your browsing requirements rather than risking a complete OSX upgrade on a device that obviously does what you need it to do as is.
    thank you sir, And yes I would much rather find a browser that will work better the the current version.The original hard drive was replaced because it went south about 5 yrs ago. I will try to get a screenshot of what this unit has in it. Thanks for the help!

mac 10.6.8 on a mac 24"
    You could try the iCab browser.
    I used to use it on my old Macs - it's one of the few browsers that seems to cater to older versions of the macOS

iCab - Downloads

Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    You could try the iCab browser.
    I used to use it on my old Macs - it's one of the few browsers that seems to cater to older versions of the macOS

iCab - Downloads
    Thank you sir, Another option to try.Appreciate your response!

mac 10.6.8 on a mac 24"
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, macOS Catalina,
    Go into Software Update and update to the last version of Snow Leopard OS X.6.8 for starters, then follow as suggested.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

mac 10.6.8 on a mac 24"
    What OS can I upgrade to using the best Internet Browser.

I don't think I missed it, but what Mac model are you currently using??

You will find the info underneath the Apple logo(menu) when selecting " About this Mac".

- Patrick
    ======

mac 10.6.8 on a mac 24"
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    And dont forget to backup. I was pleased to hear you had replaced the original HD but don't forget 5 years is about the life span of a HDD.
    Still I have to say, well done you for keeping a vintage Mac alive for so long.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

mac 10.6.8 on a mac 24"
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    If you want a newer Mac OS X/OS X version, you can look here, If an installer says it can'''t be verified or was signed with a certificate that has expired - Apple Support, to see if any of them will work on your Mac?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    Go into Software Update and update to the last version of Snow Leopard OS X.6.8 for starters, then follow as suggested.
    Thank you for responding, I tried that already. No updates available.20191120_121628=800x800.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post

You will find the info underneath the Apple logo(menu) when selecting " About this Mac".

- Patrick
    ======
    Here is the info.20191120_121523 resize.jpg20191120_121552 resize.jpg

mac 10.6.8 on a mac 24"
    From what I see, this is a 2009 model and it can go up to macOS 10.11 or ElCapitan
    If I did that, I would probably be prepared to bump the RAM up to 8 GB

PS: ElCapitan seems to be a pretty good macOS - I have been running that on all out Macs even though we can go to 10.15 and beyond with the hardware we have.
    But remember - once you move past 10.6.8 , any PowerPC apps are no longer supported, neither are some old MS Office products and probably others.

BTW - With ElCapitan as the OS, I was on the latest version of FireFox which is 70.0.1, but since FF changed to Quantum, I'm not too happy with it.
    I also lost FF features that I used.

So now I have switched to the Brave browser to see how that goes.
    Last edited by krs; 11-20-2019 at 06:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post

- Patrick
    ======
    Here is the info.20191120_121523 resize.jpg20191120_121552 resize.jpg

Thank you krs for the insight. For now I went with Rod recommendation from Browser for OS 10.6.8 - Apple Community and did the uninstall and install and seems to work very well. Thanks to all who chimed in with suggestions.Seems like a great site I happened onto and joined. Thanks again everyone!

mac 10.6.8 on a mac 24"
    Here is the info.

Thanks, and finally we get what Mac model you actually have.

Those specs show you have an early 2009 model, that can as krs said, can run Maximum MacOS: X 10.11.x*.
    iMac "Core 2 Duo" 3.06 24-Inch (Early 2009) Specs (Early 2009, MB420LL/A, iMac9,1, A1225, 2267/2134*): EveryMac.com

That gives you a lot more options as what you can do as far as upgrading your Mac OS and your browser goes.

You may have the option of keeping your old 10.6.8 OS if need be on its own separate partition.
    That would allow you to run any of the applications that require Rosetta that later Mac OS versions do not support.

- Patrick
    ======

Thread Information