Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page



Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: iCloud

  1. #1
    iCloud
    I notice in this latest Mac updated (10.15.1) I now have a document folder and desktop folder in iCloud Drive. I don't use iCloud Drive because I have a iPad Pro and iPhone and when I sync my iPad Pro and MacBook Air it seams to mess things up, but not as soon as I stopped using iCloud. How do I delete the iCloud Dive folders and not the same folders and its contents in the system folders? Thanks teqmter

  2. #2
    iCloud
    pine man's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 15, 2014
    Location
    West Sussex, UK.
    Posts
    423
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 21.5" 3.1GHz Core i7 16GB RAM Catalina. iPad Air. iPhone 6S. iPod nano.
    Rep Power
    6
    In iCloud Drive identify all of the folders that exist, such as Documents and Desktop, then create a new folders in Finder called Documents New, Desktop New and any other folders ..New.

    Download the contents of the Documents, Desktop and any other folders from iCloud Drive to their respective 'New' folders in Finder.

    Turn off iCloud Drive and rename the Folders in Finder.
    Peter - I used to be paranoid but now I just worry all the time

  3. #3
    iCloud
    ferrarr's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 21, 2012
    Location
    Pawtucket, RI, US
    Posts
    6,987
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Rep Power
    14
    On your Mac, go into System preferences. Select your Apple ID for iCloud. Then select iCloud Drive and make sure that Desktop & Downloads Folders are unchecked, this way they are not synced through iCloud Drive.


    Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

  4. #4
    iCloud
    MacInWin's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 01, 2009
    Location
    Winchester, VA
    Posts
    7,068
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Rep Power
    27
    Before you do what Bob suggested (Turn off Desktop and Downloads) do what pine man said to do. That is key! As soon as you turn off the Desktop & Downloads, the files will be erased from iCloud and you lost them. Pine Man gets them back on your machine so that when you do turn them off, you have safe copies. You can then move them from the "new" folders to where you want them to be.

    Lots of folks have lost stuff because they did this in the wrong sequence.
    Jake

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    Before you do what Bob suggested (Turn off Desktop and Downloads) do what pine man said to do. That is key! As soon as you turn off the Desktop & Downloads, the files will be erased from iCloud and you lost them. Pine Man gets them back on your machine so that when you do turn them off, you have safe copies. You can then move them from the "new" folders to where you want them to be.

    Lots of folks have lost stuff because they did this in the wrong sequence.
    thanks for the help

  6. #6
    iCloud
    bumbleboo's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 25, 2008
    Location
    Bremm (Mosel), Germany
    Posts
    56
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro (late 2011) Latest 10.12.5, 2,4 Ghz, Intel Core i7, RAM 16G GB 1333 MHz 1TB SATA Dis
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by pine man View Post
    In iCloud Drive identify all of the folders that exist, such as Documents and Desktop, then create a new folders in Finder called Documents New, Desktop New and any other folders ..New.

    Download the contents of the Documents, Desktop and any other folders from iCloud Drive to their respective 'New' folders in Finder.

    Turn off iCloud Drive and rename the Folders in Finder.
    I am fed up with iCloud and want my documents etc on my computer in the filing system that I set and know where to find things. It seems since I have just bought a new iMac (updated from my old MacbookPro) that my files are not as I originally planned. I have gone onto iCloud drive as you suggested and in Finder opened new files for Documents, Desktop and Downloads but when I go onto the iCloud site to download my documents to the Documents New folder it appears as if the download icon is greyed out! Seems I'm a bit of a numpty 'cause i can't see how I can achieve my aim! I want to disable iCloud (I have Backups in Time Machine and an external disk) and keep stuff on my computer not floating around somewhere! Help please?

  7. #7
    iCloud
    ferrarr's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 21, 2012
    Location
    Pawtucket, RI, US
    Posts
    6,987
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by bumbleboo View Post
    I am fed up with iCloud and want my documents etc on my computer in the filing system that I set and know where to find things. It seems since I have just bought a new iMac (updated from my old MacbookPro) that my files are not as I originally planned. I have gone onto iCloud drive as you suggested and in Finder opened new files for Documents, Desktop and Downloads but when I go onto the iCloud site to download my documents to the Documents New folder it appears as if the download icon is greyed out! Seems I'm a bit of a numpty 'cause i can't see how I can achieve my aim! I want to disable iCloud (I have Backups in Time Machine and an external disk) and keep stuff on my computer not floating around somewhere! Help please?
    Did you read my reply above (#3)?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

  8. #8
    iCloud
    MacInWin's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 01, 2009
    Location
    Winchester, VA
    Posts
    7,068
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Rep Power
    27
    But before you do what Bob suggested, make sure you copy the documents to some other folder than Documents. What I think works is to keep logged into iCloud and create a set of three folders outside of Documents, Desktop or Downloads. Now copy whatever is in Documents to one of the three folders. That process may take a while, depending on your internet speed and number of files to be copied. Repeat for the other two folders. Once you have all three competed, you can then follow Bob's directions in #3 and disconnect from iCloud. At that point your Documents, Desktop and Downloads will show as empty because it's lost the connection (I think, I don't use it myself). Move the contents of the three new folders to the appropriate folder and then delete the three new folders.

    I didn't suggest using TM because I don't know if TM actually backs up the real files from iCloud or not. I think it does not, but again, I don't use iCloud for Docs, Desktop or Downloads, so I have no real experience with it. But logic says that given the real files are NOT on your machine, TM won't back them up.

    Maybe somebody who actually uses iCloud for documents will come along a correct my directions, but that is what I read somewhere.
    Jake

  9. #9
    iCloud
    IWT's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2009
    Location
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Posts
    6,070
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Rep Power
    20
    You are correct, Jake.

    If you have files on any "Online Drive" (iCloud, Google, Dropbox etc) actually present on your Mac's HD, then Time Machine will back these up.

    If the files are not on your Mac and only in "the cloud", then TM does not back up those.

    Ian
    Ian

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-29-2015, 02:26 PM
  2. Creating new icloud email address to associate with old icloud account
    By LimerickRake in forum macOS - Operating System
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-26-2015, 11:05 AM
  3. Apple unveils Keychain for iCloud, confirms 300 million iCloud accounts
    By OneMoreThing... in forum Apple Rumors and Reports
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-10-2013, 04:15 PM
  4. Apple Posts iCloud Transition Q&A, Confirms iCloud Will Have Web Apps
    By OneMoreThing... in forum Apple Rumors and Reports
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-25-2011, 10:02 PM
  5. iCloud Communications Sues Apple Over iCloud Trademark
    By OneMoreThing... in forum Apple Rumors and Reports
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 06-15-2011, 08:20 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •