Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Catalina Upgrade vs Clean Install

Are there any situations whereby a clean install is better than an upgrade? I ask this because I did clean install on my MBP without issue; but my MBP doesn't have all the files on it that my iMac has. So this was relatively straight forward. Next on the list is my iMac. What worries me the most are the mail boxes I've created that are stored "On my Mac" as opposed to iCloud. If I did a clean install of Catalina on my iMac I know I can import/restore all of my Documents from my Time Machine Back Up but can I do the same with the mail folders? If there's anything you think I'm missing please feel free to let me know. Any advise and help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mike

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    When I did an upgrade, I ended up with a folder "Relocated items" on the Desktop. So I did a clean install a week later.

I don't like having email folders only on my Mac. I prefer to have the email, whenever I need them, wherever I am.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Any advice and help will be greatly appreciated.
    I would do the upgrade first. If things don't work out, you can always back up and do a clean install. A clean install can be easy or it can be daunting depending on what you need to restore after the clean install. And as far as the "relocated folder" which may appear on your desktop, that's easily taken care of. Lots of threads about it. I just deleted it without any problems. It is after all just a copy or alias.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    When I did an upgrade, I ended up with a folder "Relocated items" on the Desktop. So I did a clean install a week later.

I don't like having email folders only on my Mac. I prefer to have the email, whenever I need them, wherever I am.
    Thank you, much appreciated. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    I would do the upgrade first. If things don't work out, you can always back up and do a clean install. A clean install can be easy or it can be daunting depending on what you need to restore after the clean install. And as far as the "relocated folder" which may appear on your desktop, that's easily taken care of. Lots of threads about it. I just deleted it without any problems. It is after all just a copy or alias.
    The upgrade is my first option. The only issue I encountered during the clean install on my MBP was that iCloud Drive got turned ON. Turns out I got momentarily confused between iCloud and iCloud Drive. I resolved this by going into my Apple ID and turning OFF iCloud Drive. Other than that everything else went smoothly.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    You can have iCloud Drive "on", you just want to make sure "Desktop & Documents Folders" is not enabled.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    You can have iCloud Drive "on", you just want to make sure "Desktop & Documents Folders" is not enabled.
    Yet another good point I hadn't thought about ... thank you once again.

Thread Information