Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Well, the TM backed up seemingly fine and I haven't come across any other issues with the current configuration, so i think i'm good for now. Thank you all for your insight and guidance!

Hard Drive duplicated after Time Machine Restore
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Are you sure one of those sets of icons weren't alias files (shortcuts to the original files)? Look at this article for examples of the little arrows that macOS uses to indicate alias files.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    I think I agree with what Jake has said. You now have the volume structure of Catalina with the macOS of Mojave. Before you muck up the contents of your Time Machine backup I would strongly suggest you download the Mojave installer (if you don't still have it) from Purchases in the App Store, get a copy of DiskmakerX from here DiskMaker X and create a USB Stick bootable installer for Mojave. Once done boot from the USB installer erase your SSD and reinstall Mojave, you can restore your data from Time Machine as part of the process.
    Last edited by Rod; 10-24-2019 at 01:51 AM.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

I never use Time Machine, it's a pretty useless piece of software, Why ? Because you cannot boot from Time Machine. I recommend using an external Hard Drive, preferably an SSD one. Reasonably priced on Ebay, then you need to a copy of Carbon Copy Cloner which creates a bootable copy as easy as clicking on "clone" Highly recommended by many Mac users. First Mac was an LC III, just 2 MB of RAM & 160 MB Hard Drive, running Mac OS 7.6. How things have changed Too many new OS, changed far too often in my opinion.
    too often.

Jim
    Mac user for 27 years

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    I never use Time Machine, it's a pretty useless piece of software, Why ? Because you cannot boot from Time Machine.
    Hi, Jim. You can boot from a TM Backup, but only into recovery mode from where you can reinstall the OS and recover from the backup in TM. Maybe you ought to give it a try again sometime.

TM has a place. It's good for recovering a file that you just deleted, or edited, and want the old copy back from before the deletion/edit. And maybe you want the version TWO variations back. It is possible to do that with CCC through Safety Net, but it takes up a lot more drive space because of the differences between how the two products do backups.

I use both, for two reasons: 1. I have had an internal drive AND the backup drive fail simultaneously, so I now do three or more backups, and 2. The two kinds of backup have different uses. CCC is good to be able to keep going with an internal drive failure while waiting for the replacement drive and TM is great for the historical, hierarchical backup of changes.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Quote Originally Posted by jga40 View Post
    Why? Because you cannot boot from Time Machine. I recommend using an external Hard Drive, preferably an SSD one

Jim
    Mac user for 27 years
    That's not entirely accurate. When originally introduced you could not boot from a Time Machine backup, The last several incarnations of Time Machine support booting directly to the built-in recovery mode and restoring from a Time Machine backup.

Having said that I personally prefer a bootable clone because it can be used to get back to work in the time it takes to reboot from the clone. Not a difference if you are replacing a few files but time-consuming if you are reinstalling the OS.
    Last edited by Slydude; 10-24-2019 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Added link I omitted
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Thread Information