Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hard Drive duplicated after Time Machine Restore
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 21.5" 3.1GHz Core i7 16GB RAM Catalina. iPad Air. iPhone 6S. iPod nano.
    Another long shot!

If you obtain 'Get info' from the two volumes using Disk Utility you get different info and doing it that way you may see that HD is not writable wheras HD Data is writaeable.
    Peter - I used to be paranoid but now I just worry all the time

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Pine Man, I tried that with a bootable USB stick and under Mojave both are read/write for me. Given that Steve is back to Mojave, that distinction seems to be lost.

EDIT: The USB stick has Catalina installed, so it does have both volumes. In Catalina, one is read only, but under Mojave both are read/write.
    Jake

I think the TM backup is good, it's just a week or so old and i think there will be a good bit missing if i use that one.

I didn't know that Catalina split the drive like that, and i guess i assumed that restoring it from the TM backup would basically replace and reformat the drive.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 21.5" 3.1GHz Core i7 16GB RAM Catalina. iPad Air. iPhone 6S. iPod nano.
    I'll crack open a bottle and give it some more thought.
    Peter - I used to be paranoid but now I just worry all the time

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboSteve View Post
    I think the TM backup is good, it's just a week or so old and i think there will be a good bit missing if i use that one.

I didn't know that Catalina split the drive like that, and i guess i assumed that restoring it from the TM backup would basically replace and reformat the drive.
    Well, unless you have done a lot of work on the since the backup, about all that should change is email, and if you restore, then connect again to your email server, it should download what is missing. It's your call. One thing you can try is see if you can rename one of the Steve SSD drives to be able to distinguish them, then go to each in Finder to see what is there. If you can determine which has your current system (Mojave and your data), you can do a TM backup of that drive, or even try just removing the other Steve SSD Volume. At this point you basically have little to lose giving that a try.
    Jake

Roger that, I know he wasn't and i did exactly what he said. The info he was looking for just isn't present.

Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 11.08.27 AM.png

Your Mac's Specs
    BTW, the reason both show the same capacity is that both are in the same Container, and the size of the Container is the potential size of the Volume. Volumes are dynamically sized, based on need, up to the size of the Container. So if you have a 500GB drive with one container and put 10 Volumes in it, each would show a capacity of 500GB. That is how APFS works, and is different from HFS+.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    Also, based on that last image, it looks like "Steve SSD" is the more likely candidate to be the "real" Mojave drive, with Steve SSD 1 being the Catalina boot drive. I get that from the "Used" information where Steve SSD is 400+GB and Steve SSD 1 is only 42 GB. That latter sounds like system files to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, the modified date on the two would support that the "1" is the Catalina as it was last used longer ago. (You see that just below the name of the drive.)
    Jake

That makes sense to me. I'm creating the bootable usb now. If i can get away with renaming the Catalina drive, then TM should work fine i would think. If it all goes to hell, at least i have the drive and the old TM backup to restore from and set things straight once and for all.

Your Mac's Specs
    Well, based on what I see in post 21, I thought you had already renamed Steve SSD 1. Perhaps the system added the "1" to distinguish between the two? What does Finder show for drives? You should be able to rename the SSD 1 drive in the Get Info window if you click on the lock icon at the bottom of the window and provide an admin password.
    Jake

They both say Steve SSD in the finder window. As soon as i'm done with the usb, i'll try renaming it to Steve SSD 1.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    You may not be able to rename the drive created within Catalina, while you are in Mojave? So you may want to rename the current Mojave drive.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

I was able to rename the other drive Steve SSD 1 and Time Machine is working on backing up the other drive currently.

I guess i'll have to see long term if renaming the other drive causes any issues.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    You may not be able to rename the drive created within Catalina, while you are in Mojave? So you may want to rename the current Mojave drive.
    Bob, from what I can tell with my USB Catalina system, if I mount the stick under Mojave I can see and modify both Volumes. Apparently whatever security Apple added to the system drive is not in place when booted in Mojave.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    Bob, from what I can tell with my USB Catalina system, if I mount the stick under Mojave I can see and modify both Volumes. Apparently whatever security Apple added to the system drive is not in place when booted in Mojave.
    Ok, thanks Jake.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Thread Information