Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Like Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Apple Releases Revised macOS Catalina Supplemental Update
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    As the title says.... A new revised supplemental update for Catalina has been released.

Please be sure to backup your current installation before downloading and installing the revised update.

Have fun.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    What's next, New and Improved Revised macOS Catalina Supplemental Update? It's all a bit silly. I applaud Apple for addressing issues but the naming is going to run out of adjectives!
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    What's next, New and Improved Revised macOS Catalina Supplemental Update? It's all a bit silly. I applaud Apple for addressing issues but the naming is going to run out of adjectives!

+1!!! I really feel sorry for the poor average casual Joe Mac user trying to keep their latest Mac OS up to date without being overwhelmed in a bit confused.

Are they providing a clear understanding notice with each update??? Or are they even providing an automatic notice???

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    EDIT: Nope that was about Safari. So, at least for me Patrick, the answer is "no, no notice." But I'm not running Catalina on this machine, so it may be showing up with a notice for those who are.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    There was also a hint from Apple that 10.15.1 would be released soon. So you may want to hold off on any supplemental updates to Catalina and instead wait for the latest fixes with 10.15.1.

You know folks... Catalina island is really a beautiful resort island. Shame that its name is being tossed around by the Apple community.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    This is on a "need to know" basis - so just between ourselves:

This is a revision of a previously modified supplement to an update which was the second part of an initial update that didn't work properly.

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 21.5" 3.1GHz Core i7 16GB RAM Catalina. iPad Air. iPhone 6S. iPod nano.
    According to my Mac I am up to date with no mention of a supplement to the last supplement. Waiting for 10.15.1 seems to be the best option.
    Peter - I used to be paranoid but now I just worry all the time

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    Quote Originally Posted by IWT View Post
    This is on a "need to know" basis - so just between ourselves:

This is a revision of a previously modified supplement to an update which was the second part of an initial update that didn't work properly.

Ian
    HahahaApple Releases Revised macOS Catalina Supplemental Update

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    I also didn't have a supplemental update for my Late 2014 Mac Mini yesterday? I even restarted to confirm I wasn't missing it.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    It's been reported that if you installed the first supplemental update to Catalina, the revised supplemental update will not show up as an update.

The only way to install the revised supplemental update is to do a fresh install of Catalina. Yikes!

I think the best plan is to wait for 10.15.1 and forego any revised supplemental update.

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    I haven't seen this "revised" update here. I wonder if it was released targeting specific models?

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Lifeisabeach View Post
    I haven't seen this "revised" update here. I wonder if it was released targeting specific models?
    Nope. According to Apple it's for everyone running Catalina.

By the way, there is a terminal script that when run will pull down the installer and get the supplemental update with it.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.14.2
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    There was also a hint from Apple that 10.15.1 would be released soon. So you may want to hold off on any supplemental updates to Catalina and instead wait for the latest fixes with 10.15.1.

You know folks... Catalina island is really a beautiful resort island. Shame that its name is being tossed around by the Apple community.
    Well, I did the first 'supplement' on my two upgraded laptops, but am just going to wait for 10.15.1 (just don't want to waste my time on doing backups on the computers - each requires 5 external devices w/ my routine!) - also, waiting on Susan's 'old' iMac until that .1 release and still a little reluctant (a late 2012 listed as last in line for Catalina upgrade - want to see the experience of others?). Dave
    If you are helped, increase the reputation of the poster -

Your Mac's Specs
    Just wanted to point out that in case you wish to download the latest Catalina Installer which includes all the supplemental updates here's how:

Open your terminal.app and type in the following:

softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer

Keep the terminal open while the download proceeds. The Catalina Installer will be downloaded to your Applications folder. If you wish to keep it, copy it to a flash drive. The installer file is a little over 8 GB.

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro (13inch mid 2012), 2.5 ghz , i5, 16 gig 1600 mhz, 1TB SSD, Mojave 10.14.6
    WOW

I am probably off base here, but this all sounds like huge beta test, and not an update to a working OS that frankly seems to finally work well after lord knows how many updates. Are there actually folks here that NEED a new operating system? Catalina has been out for a couple of weeks and there is already a supplement to a supplemental update that supplements the update to the first supplemental update, AND it requires a re-installation?

As the "poor average casual Joe Mac user" that Patrick alluded to, all I can say is I'm VERY happy I finally resolved some of the issues I've had for the better part of a year with Mojave. I'm well aware that there may be tens, or hundreds of thousands of users that are very happy and have no issues with Catalina (or none they are aware of) and that on a forum like this, we are FAR more likely to hear about problems rather than success stories, but as a casual user it seems that Catalina is simply not ready for prime time.

Would Apple have lost market share if they had possibly spent a little more time fine tuning the OS or perhaps left it in Beta for a few more months? I'm trying to understand the concept, and I'm certainly not bashing Apple. I switched to Mac more than a decade ago and although I've had some issues, I would never even consider going back to Windows.

ken
    Few things in life will clear out the cobwebs more effectively than fighting an 80 MPH wind on two wheels.

Thread Information