Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Catalina L2TP IPSec
    Hi all

Who's all puzzled, surprised or has figured out whats going on with L2TP not working on Catalina anymore.
    Been battling to connect, so tried Shimo and eventually got this message popping up (see attached) doing some more digging via googggglling it seems this might be fact.

I used L2TP to connect to my router at home (Draytek Vigor)

G

Screen Shot 2019-10-19 at 13.23.46.png

Catalina L2TP IPSec
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    HI and welcome.

"What's going on" is, I'm afraid, amply answered by the screenshot you posted - Apple decided to discontinue support for etc..... Consequently, Shimo does not support these types of VPN etc...

That's the reason. Why? Maybe it's incompatible with macOS Catalina? I'm not familiar with L2TP at all, but if it's an app, it may be 32 bit?? If so, no 32 bit apps work with macOS Catalina.

I'm sorry you've had this misfortune.

Ian
    Ian

My vpn was primarily configured directly into network configs, had problems, tried using Shimo and then found this... (Shimo was just a test app)

Now to figure out what protocol combinations my router (Draytek Vigo 2760) support and what matches onto the Mac OS Catalina list and reconfigure. (Do see that L2TP) is still listed... why ever they do that to confuse people only they know.

G

Catalina L2TP IPSec
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    When I did an Internet Search titled "protocol combinations for Draytek Vigor 2760 and macOS Catalina", I found nothing helpful in respect of macOS Catalina:

protocol combinations for Draytek Vigo 2760 and macOS Catalina - Google Search

Would contacting Draytek directly perhaps help? https://www.draytek.co.uk/products/soho/vigor-2760

I don't think I can help you further, but other members may well chime in with suggestions.

Ian
    Ian

Catalina L2TP IPSec
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Here's the reason:

In computer networking, Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol (L2TP) is a tunneling protocol used to support virtual private networks (VPNs) or as part of the delivery of services by ISPs.

It does not provide any encryption or confidentiality by itself.

Catalina has tightened security on just about everything.

Catalina L2TP IPSec
    Your Mac's Specs
    Thank you for helping out, Charlie.

Ian
    Ian

Hi all

I'm not arguing thats it's been removed or why, just trying to figure out what my options are/what to new configure on my Draytek, that Apple will be happy with/support.

Otherwise I need to drop this functionality from my edge router and configure it into a passthrough mode through to my Ubiquiti Unifi USG which also have Firewall and VPN capabilities.
    little to get completed task for the upcoming weekend when I'm home. (I"m only home every 3-4 weeks for a long weekend)

G

VPN Client for Catalina
    Ok, so I'm seriously starting to regret this upgrade... Apple have some level of responsibility to make sure there is working solutions and their dropping of L2TP and PPTP seriously F'd people. how many Routers and VPN servers in the consumer domain is there currently thats build around something other than L2TP...

Whats everyone doing, but my Edge router, DrayTek Vigo2 2760 and my Unifi USG that sits on the inside of my network only both support L2TP and PPTP.
    I got a Synology NAS, so thinking of running a VPN server on there, ... got OpenVPN configured but now looking for a free client.

Whats everyone else doing, this is getting critical.

G

Catalina L2TP IPSec
    Threads merged - there is no reason to start a new thread on the exact same topic.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Catalina L2TP IPSec
    Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by georgelza View Post
    Ok, so I'm seriously starting to regret this upgrade... Apple have some level of responsibility to make sure there is working solutions and their dropping of L2TP and PPTP seriously F'd people. how many Routers and VPN servers in the consumer domain is there currently thats build around something other than L2TP...

Whats everyone doing, but my Edge router, DrayTek Vigo2 2760 and my that sits on the inside of my network only both support L2TP and PPTP.
    I got a Synology NAS, so thinking of running a VPN server on there, ... got OpenVPN configured but now looking for a free client.

Whats everyone else doing, this is getting critical.

G
    Ok, so this is not something I have any experience with, but let's verify what these products support. According to its support page, the DrayTek Vigor 2760 supports these protocols: PPTP, IPSec, L2P, L2TP over IPSec. So, it looks like you can use and in this situation are limited to IPSec or L2P (actually I think L2P is a typo on that page... I can't find anything about L2P, so scratch that). In doing some more digging, L2TP over IPSec is supported on Catalina (see below), so that's another option.

As for the Unifi USG, I found a support article titled UniFi - Verifying and Troubleshooting IPsec VPN on USG. So both of your devices should be able to use IPSec. Your software client, Shimo, also supports it.

In doing some brief searching, I found a couple support articles from Apple about VPN enhancements on Catalina that you may need to review also.

VPN enhancements in iOS 13 and macOS Catalina - Apple Support
    Change options for L2TP over IPSec VPN connections on Mac - Apple Support

That last one implies that L2TP over IPSec can be used. I just ran through my network settings on Catalina to review the process of setting up a VPN and yes, it is an option. And it is supported by your hardware also. Here's a support article for the UniFi (scroll down to the section about configuring macOS to get the part about "over IPSec"):
    UniFi - USG: Configuring L2TP Remote Access VPN – Ubiquiti Networks Support and Help Center

So from what I can divine, your best choice may be to use L2TP over IPSec. Catalina supports it. Your software supports it. And your hardware support it. IPSec (aka Cisco IPSec) also is an option.
    Last edited by Lifeisabeach; 10-30-2019 at 11:42 AM.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Thanks for all of this.

Will attempt.

G

Thread Information