Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I am an idiot, i need help.

Your Mac's Specs
    Mid 2012 MBP - 13" i5 3210M, 16GB RAM, 240GB SSD, 500GB storage (in place of optical).
    is my CCC back up drive the same as a bootable USB stick?

my SSD that i have labeled Boot is only 250GB (with 115.63 used) but my CCC back up drive is 1TB (371.82 free) - call me a dunce, but how will that fit back on my SSD if i boot from the drive and wipe the SSD to do a clean copy?
    Im... just... Awkward.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Yes, make a 16GB USB drive into a bootable installer. Either Mojave or Catalina.

As a side note, why not just use the 1TB as the boot drive? WOuldn't that save yourself a headache?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    Mid 2012 MBP - 13" i5 3210M, 16GB RAM, 240GB SSD, 500GB storage (in place of optical).
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    Yes, make a 16GB USB drive into a bootable installer. Either Mojave or Catalina.

As a side note, why not just use the 1TB as the boot drive? WOuldn't that save yourself a headache?
    .... i have several 1TB drives, there is one in place of the optical drive (i removed that and got a bracket to convert it over to hold a SSD) the other is an external USB drive that im using for CCC as a backup...
    i just needed more space to store things and not as much use for the optical drive, thus the swap...
    Im... just... Awkward.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    how will that fit back on my SSD if i boot from the drive and wipe the SSD to do a clean copy?
    How much of what's on the CCC drive is in the SafetyNet folder(s)? If what is in SafetyNet is eliminated, will what is left fit on the SSD? (You will need to leave at least 5% free on the SSD for the system to operate, btw.) If not, another approach might be to clean install the operating system to the SSD, then copy your data files to the 1T drive. You won't be able to totally eliminate the /User/name/Documents folder, and pulling files from the 1T will be slow (relatively) but that way you can boot from the SSD and install your applications to the SSD, for speed.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    Screen Shot 2019-10-20 at 7.58.01 PM.jpg
    i hope this answers some of your questions, ive never actually had to use this program like this before. it was/is just an insurance policy... of sorts.
    Im... just... Awkward.

Your Mac's Specs
    OK, from that image, your 1T drive has 370GB free, and 431GB in SafetyNet. The SafetyNet stuff should not get copied back as it is where CCC stores older files that have changed, giving you a "history" from which you can pull files if you changed them and didn't mean to. In this case, what you want are the files as they are, not history, so SafetyNet doesn't get restored to the boot drive. So the total real data is 1TB - 370 - 431 or about 200GB. So your 500GB SSD should easily handle the migration.

From the general tenor of your posts, I'll assume you are not an experienced technician. The migration to Catalina is not trivial, and so far has not been without problems. Given your comment in post #14 about needing the machine, I would recommend you stick with the restored Mojave, if it's working, and give Catalina a pass for now. Let Apple sort out the birthing pains for this major rewrite of the OS and tackle it when you have time to devote to it. I'm waiting for .2 or maybe .3, depending on reports about .2 when it comes.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    OK, from that image, your 1T drive has 370GB free, and 431GB in SafetyNet. The SafetyNet stuff should not get copied back as it is where CCC stores older files that have changed, giving you a "history" from which you can pull files if you changed them and didn't mean to. In this case, what you want are the files as they are, not history, so SafetyNet doesn't get restored to the boot drive. So the total real data is 1TB - 370 - 431 or about 200GB. So your 500GB SSD should easily handle the migration.

From the general tenor of your posts, I'll assume you are not an experienced technician. The migration to Catalina is not trivial, and so far has not been without problems. Given your comment in post #14 about needing the machine, I would recommend you stick with the restored Mojave, if it's working, and give Catalina a pass for now. Let Apple sort out the birthing pains for this major rewrite of the OS and tackle it when you have time to devote to it. I'm waiting for .2 or maybe .3, depending on reports about .2 when it comes.
    that is great information about the migration back, Mac OS has been very cooperative with me up till this 'twitch' upgrade (it was a whim and i am regretting it) - so i havent needed to get under the hood to make something work. which has been a fairly common occurrence with my windows machines. and im not very (if at all) familiar with Unix/unix like workings.

when i 'performed the roll back' i didnt re format the main SSD (my expectations need to be managed better) so there seems to be quite a bit of 'garbage' that the OS doenst know what to do with, since you mentioned post #14 there is a second partition that was never there before the roll back... so i believe i can boot from the external drive and use the disk utility to format the main SSD and then have CCC perform another migration to get everything back the way it was. the article on CCC's site didnt explictly state that the SSD should be reformatted, but merely suggested it.

thinking back to yesterday when catalina was half-way working - i went to activate some VPN software that i have and nothing appeared on my screen, no matter what i did it wouldnt start or allow me to adjust any settings... i think this is what messed up my networking settings yesterday.

anyway, should i have the disk utility delete that 'extra partition' on my main SSD and see if it would work without it? or just reformat the drive and remigrate?

thanks for being patient with my derpy butt.
    Im... just... Awkward.

Your Mac's Specs
    One of the changes that Catalina brings is some extra security. There are two Volumes created under Catalina, usually named "Macintosh HD" and "Macintosh HD - Data." I think I saw in your post you had named the drive "Boot" so the two Volumes would be "Boot" and "Boot - Data." In your case, the drive named Boot had the Catalina system files on it, and "Boot - Data" has the user files, including all users you create. You can read/write to the "data" drive, but the "Boot" or "Macintosh HD" (if you leave it as the system defaults to) is read-only and cannot be changed by any user.

I have no idea what you actually did to "restore" Mojave, so I cannot say which one is the actual boot drive, and if Mojave in any way uses the "data" drive. Your steps have sort of made a hash of the drive at this point. If you have a good CCC backup of Mojave from before all this mess, you might be best served by booting into that CCC drive, then using DU from there to reformat the internal drive at the hardware level, then using CCC to restore the system to the internal. Given the PITA that the process is going to be, it might be as well to bite the bullet and do a clean install of Catalina, then use Migration Assistant at the first boot to restore from the CCC backup and sort out the network. Given you mucked with a VPN before actually establishing that the network worked, I suspect you are correct that VPN is the problem. Is the VPN software ready for Catalina? It needs to work within the security restrictions of Catalina. I suspect it may not have been compatible, and that it ended up blocking you from the network altogether. Next time, get your connections to the router and Internet in and tested, then you can look for a VPN that works with Catalina.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    i honestly have no idea if it is ready for Catalina or not... i spent 2 hours at my dads house (dog sitting for a bit) downloading and installing Catalina, then i got to work and went to use the network which was crawling. so i fell back to my usual 'obscure the requests'/use the VPN, and thats when things got annoying.

the thing that is bothering me about the new volume is that it is showing the exact same size and how full it is, it is seriously half of my SSD. i only have 3.8 GB of free space left with it in its current state... and i really dont know why... but im not a fan, not at all.
    Im... just... Awkward.

Your Mac's Specs
    Can't say why the network was "crawling" but normally it's more the network speeds than anything internal. Clearly the experiment with Catalina, in creating the two Volumes, and the restore to Mojave, however that was done, has messed up the SSD's organization. At this point a full reformat/reinstall/restore might be needed to get the two Volumes back to just one and make sure you don't have duplicates all over the place.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    yeah... thats really sounds like the plan. its a good thing that i have the next 3 days off... thanks for the help and reassurances.
    Im... just... Awkward.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    When you go to format the drive, make sure you have Show All Devices selected under the View menu. Then, select the (top) device, which has the drive you want to partition.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Thread Information